• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    [FONT=&quot]Thought I’d see if anyone has ran into this or knows how to fix it. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]In our rental house, the temperature is not staying consistent. Thermostat is set at 72. It has dropped as low as 67 before the furnace finally kicked on. I can power cycle the switch on the furnace and it will immediately start up. I don’t know the electronics in a gas furnace but it acts like a relay is sticking or latched for some reason. Power cycling makes it let go and function again. Thought I’d check here first before calling the maintenance company. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks, Matt[/FONT]

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not enough info.
    Standing pilot or HSI (Hot surface ignitor)
    Is it throwing a code on the control board. Not many furnaces left out there with out this feature but yes there still a few.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Not enough info.
    Standing pilot or HSI (Hot surface ignitor)
    Is it throwing a code on the control board. Not many furnaces left out there with out this feature but yes there still a few.
    No physical pilot light visible nor associated plumbing so I’m guessing HSI.
    I got the covers off and bypassed the safety switch. After it ran a while and now has sat 30 minutes or so, the led (only one on the board) is flashing an 8 count. At least best I can count it. It flashes pretty fast and my counter is pretty slow!

Matt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Brands differ as to codes.
    Hard reset the unit. Power off and then on after 10 seconds or so. Watch burners. Does the HSI glow and then the burners ire. Do the stay lit and the blower comes on. Or do the burners fire for 3 to 5 seconds and cycle off. Repeat.

Is the filter clean...???

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    After a hard reset, the small blower starts and the hsi glows. Several seconds later the burners ignite. Soon after the main blower starts. It will run until thermostat temp is reached. The temp in the house has now dropped to 70 and the led is flashing 8 times.
    Sooner or later, it will fire up but it may be 67 or 68 degrees before it does.

Matt

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    After a hard reset, the small blower starts and the hsi glows. Several seconds later the burners ignite. Soon after the main blower starts. It will run until thermostat temp is reached. The temp in the house has now dropped to 70 and the led is flashing 8 times.
    Sooner or later, it will fire up but it may be 67 or 68 degrees before it does.

Matt

Is there a card on the blower door that lists the codes.
    What brand unit is this.

When you say flashing 8 is that 8 short flashes and a pause/repeat.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Flash 8 times, pause, repeat.
    Didn’t think to look on door for codes.
    8 flashes -lockout due to too many flame dropouts.

Matt

OK it is most likely the flame rod needs cleaned but this is the internet. No visible hands on way to address it.
    I am not familiar with that brand.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My furnace does this type of thing once in a blue moon. Just turning off the power switch on the outside of the unit for a few seconds and turning it back on always fixes it, but it sounds like yours is occurring a lot more often than mine. Just had my annual furnace checkup and everything tested fine (and always has).

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    After I googled it, I figured I’d give it a try. Most all the instructions said to use steel wool. I’ll pick some up in the morning and take a shot at cleaning it.

Matt

Try not to touch the porcelain or the flame rod itself. The oils in your skin can cause problems. Just touch the metal piece around it used for mounting.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I ended up using scotchbrite on it last night. I did handle the ceramic part but didn’t touch the wire.
    It seems to have worked as temps have held steady all night.
    Thanks for directing me to the fix!

Matt

Top Bottom