4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    This one is free:

WD9BSA VE Team
    FEB 8 at 9AM

Pre-Register at the website below
    https://wd9bsa.wordpress.com/licensing/

David Johnson N9EZW is the team leader and his email address is dlj301@gmail.com
    The WD9BSA VE team does their testing at

Crossroads Of America Scout Office:

Golden-Burke Scout Center
    7125 Fall Creek Road North
    Indianapolis, IN 46256

They are part of Laurel VEC and do not charge any fees.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    Whenever I hear of free testing, I'm reminded of a test day we did several years ago. Guy comes in for his Tech ticket and obviously gets it and since you are offered a free shot at the next level, he got his General and then finished off with his Extra! In less than an hour and a half he rolled through the exams.
    That kept us amused for the entire test session.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I know nothing about this stuff.....but is there some kind of testing that happens this time of the year? I had a call the other day from one of my customers wanting to borrow 2-fiberglass extension ladders that could reach 32' in the air. He told me it was for testing "ham" radios, and they needed them for this past weekend and this coming Saturday. He said 28-32' was optimal height. This is for some sort of event in Danville. He is a really nice guy, wish I could have helped him out but I had no fiberglass ladders that tall, about 2-4' short.

I was just curious how often they test these and are they testing equipment, operators or both? Thanks

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I know nothing about this stuff.....but is there some kind of testing that happens this time of the year? I had a call the other day from one of my customers wanting to borrow 2-fiberglass extension ladders that could reach 32' in the air. He told me it was for testing "ham" radios, and they needed them for this past weekend and this coming Saturday. He said 28-32' was optimal height. This is for some sort of event in Danville. He is a really nice guy, wish I could have helped him out but I had no fiberglass ladders that tall, about 2-4' short.

I was just curious how often they test these and are they testing equipment, operators or both? Thanks

This coming weekend is Winter Field Day....which means hams radio operators that are crazy enough to brave the outdoors, go outside and set up their stations and contact each other. This is to test their ability to setup in extreme weather circumstances and make sure their gear works properly. They do the same thing the last full weekend of June as well, they call that Field Day.

So it's a test of readiness, but no one dies. There is no exam.

Winter Field Day is Jan 25 2PM to Jan 26 2PM.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    This coming weekend is Winter Field Day....which means hams radio operators that are crazy enough to brave the outdoors, go outside and set up their stations and contact each other. This is to test their ability to setup in extreme weather circumstances and make sure their gear works properly. They do the same thing the last full weekend of June as well, they call that Field Day.

So it's a test of readiness, but no one dies. There is no exam.

Winter Field Day is Jan 25 2PM to Jan 26 2PM.

That is very interesting....I had no idea they did that. We never stop learning if we ask. Is 28' some magic number in ham radios? He told me, I think that 32 feet was optimal but 28' will work.....

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    That is very interesting....I had no idea they did that. We never stop learning if we ask. Is 28' some magic number in ham radios? He told me, I think that 32 feet was optimal but 28' will work.....

I am assuming they wanted the ladders as some sort of antenna support. With two ladders that'd get a wire 32 feet in the air if they stretched the wire between the two supports. Now it if it was 32 feet apart and 32 feet tall...that'd be great for a 20m halfwave dipole antenna. It's hard to say what they were going to do.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I need to get my general after languishing as a no respect tech since 94...I think. I can't find my old operating license after moving.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I need to get my general after languishing as a no respect tech since 94...I think. I can't find my old operating license after moving.

If you want to send me your call sign in a PM I can lookup your FRN with the FCC. The test team just needs to verify your FRN and make sure the address for it matches your government issued ID.

Here are some places to study for your General.

http://hamstudy.org - use the flash cards, and the practice exams.
    Welcome to the AA9PW Radio Exam practice page! - AA9PW - the practice exams are very helpful

https://www.ad7fo.com/training.html - FREE Exam and upgrade guide for Tech to General. Good stuff.

Good luck!

Top Bottom