• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Anybody had carpal tunnel surgery? I'm 5 weeks post-op and I don't feel that I can shoot a centerfire pistol at this point. Rimfire is OK. I am wondering how long it takes to recover completely.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It took my wife 4-6 months to be 100%.

^^THIS^^

I had it done about 8 years ago. Relief was immediate in regards to the Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. But the actual recovery took a while. My wrists were sore for a week or so. I could feel the bones in my wrist moving now that there wasn't anything holding them together. I would have my wife sit next to me and rub my wrists at the incision. For months, there would be times when I grabbed something just right and it would send a jolt right up my arm that reminded me of getting hit with a live 110v electrical wire. I'd say that after around 6 months, everything was back to normal.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I had it done around 5 years ago, both hands at the same time.

I had it done in March, I don’t remember a lengthy recovery, maybe a month. I must have just gotten lucky.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I had my right hand done on Dec 5th, along with fixing my arthritic thumb (can't remember what that surgery was called), still have a lot of swelling in my hand. Thumb and middle finger are numb. Doc talked like it would take 3 to 12 months for full recovery. I hope the progress speeds up soon. .22s are still fun left handed.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    I had my right hand done on Dec 5th, along with fixing my arthritic thumb (can't remember what that surgery was called), still have a lot of swelling in my hand. Thumb and middle finger are numb. Doc talked like it would take 3 to 12 months for full recovery. I hope the progress speeds up soon.

Sounds about right. Full recovery was at least 6 months for me. My wrists were bandaged up for close to a week, and I babied them as much as possible. Once my stitches came out, I took it easy at first but then in a couple weeks I was doing everything that I used to do, and more. So "basic" recovery was maybe a month. The random shooting pain, soreness, and grip strength took much longer.

Top Bottom