• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Anyone have a car painted in the last couple years? Wondering what it costs now days.

Not looking for show quality. I’d like to get my son’s car painted as a graduation gift. The car only has 40,000 miles on it, and the interior, and under the hood are so clean you could eat off of them, but it is a Florida car and the paint is sun baked. Plan on keeping the color the same to keep the job simple.

Thanks in advance.

quangtran1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 18, 2017
    Indiana
    If you just want a cover-up, you can get it done for 400-1000. MAACO ran a promo not long ago for 299. If you want it done properly, or if the metal needs attention, dings removed, base coat applied, etc, look at 3500 and up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The second half of this equation is finding someone to do it. I've talked to several places about a total repaint on our convertible and most of them ask if I'm willing to leave it for up to a year. They make more money on collision damage so a lot of places aren't interested in doing whole jobs now. Not saying it'll be that difficult to find one just that you will probably wait longer than they tell you if they're any good.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I have had MAACO paint two trucks, don't remember price on the first one. a Dodge but it was the whole truck, A 1995 when Dodge had bad primer and the paint would just flake off in chunks. That was 15 or so years ago so price would be irrevalant now but the paint looked good till I traded. A few years ago I had them replace sheet metal in the bed sides and repaint my 2004 F-150. Rusting again but in different places, job cost about $1800.00. Jim.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Getting a vehicle painted is one of the biggest crap shoots on this earth. I have heard more horror stories about bad experiences with car painters than any other consumer service.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I would attempt to find a body man that does side work on his own time.
    They will often be about half the price of a body shop.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Thanks, there is a really small shop up the street from my house. Maybe I’ll check there might have better luck than the larger shops that do collision repair.

I know when I was I high school in the 90’s you could get a paint job for $500. I was hoping to stay under $1000, we’ll see.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    Thanks, there is a really small shop up the street from my house. Maybe I’ll check there might have better luck than the larger shops that do collision repair.

I know when I was I high school in the 90’s you could get a paint job for $500. I was hoping to stay under $1000, we’ll see.

I was gonna guess $3,000 minimum. Seems like the rest of this of this thread thinks the same. Just the paint itself is expensive.

VulpesForge

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 14, 2020
    Nowhere
    I was gonna guess $3,000 minimum. Seems like the rest of this of this thread thinks the same. Just the paint itself is expensive.

Depending on the color and type you choose, the paint itself can cost more than 1k for a gallon and if you go with spot painting, a good painter can blend so you won't notice. My father restored old EZ-GO's in the past and made quite a bit of money doing them. He's doing a 49 Windsor now (the old cabs with one of the first of what could be considered automatic transmissions. Most of this rambling is from his experience in the game and bulk rates apply here. Let's not forget that in order to do a proper job all the individual panels have to be removed, stripped, primed, painted, clear coated, then reassembled. There are more steps, but most of them just repeat processes. It's insanely expensive to do right, and some people even with all the equipment just can't get from here to there. I don't really know of a low cost places that would do a panel or two under 1k let alone the whole car. I hate to rain on the parade, but paint is just stupidly expensive these days.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I’m sure paint is expensive now because it is green / environmentally friendly.

$3000, I’ll get I’ll get a harbor freight paint gun, and get after it. Lol

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    I’m sure paint is expensive now because it is green / environmentally friendly.

$3000, I’ll get I’ll get a harbor freight paint gun, and get after it. Lol
    Was wondering when you'd get to that point.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Going rate seems to be about $500 (+/-) a panel from my experience. So... $500 hood, $500/bumper, $500/door, etc, etc. The guys saying $3k+ seem to be on the right track to me. Much like you, I bought a HFT paint gun awhile ago and intend to take my own swing at it at some point. I've had good paint work done and I've had bad... it all costs a fortune and it's a complete crap shoot what you're going to get in the long run. Like most things, even if I do it twice to get it right, I can't possibly screw it up as bad as the worst pro out there can and I can do it for no greater than half the money.

If we're talking about a college car that is going to take a pounding in the cramped parking lots at most universities, I think I'd consider taking that kilobuck you had in mind to spend and dumping it into a pretty safe investment as a nest egg for your son to use as a down payment on another car, or a house, or whatever after college graduation. No the most exciting present in the world, but he'll tank you for it later. I know the savings bonds my grandma gave me every year as a child were totally lame then, but I sure did need that refrigerator, washer, dryer, mower, etc, etc when I moved out of my parent's house.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'd do Plasti Dip. Sounds like a very good week end project for you and the boy.

[video=youtube;7J6rRj98A5s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J6rRj98A5s[/video]

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Paint is the first thing you notice about an automobile.
    "You get what you pay for" has never been truer than when it comes to a paint job.
    Cheap guns, cheap ammo, cheap paint job.
    I hope it's a cheap car.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Have you tried to polish it and bring the paint back. My suburban came from Arizona and the paint was very oxidized. We wet sanded/polished the whole truck and brought it back to an acceptable level. There are some places where it's a bit thin but we can touch those up without having to hire someone. My husband is pretty good with the paint gun just addressing areas as needed. Without a proper paint booth, doing the whole truck here would be a challenge due to dust, bugs, etc. We bought a variable speed polisher and that helped significantly. Used some of the Meguiar products.

This is the side not done as he was working on the hood.

Y3FH8JY.jpg

This is the side he had done.

ZIXnXxL.jpg

Back doors...

GbKy2Ey.jpg

I think it turned out rather well.

SydKaPl.jpg

ZRqyzUi.jpg

Top Bottom