ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    First US case of Wuhan coronavirus confirmed by CDC

The United States has its first confirmed case of a new virus that appeared in Wuhan, China, last month, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced Tuesday. The coronavirus has already sickened hundreds and killed six people in Asia.

CDC officials said the United States will be more strict about health screenings of airplane passengers arriving from Wuhan.
    The patient, who is not being named, is in isolation at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Washington. He is in his 30s and lives in Snohomish County, Washington, just north of Seattle.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And here I was thinking Corona smelled and tasted skunky because they used clear bottles, and it was a virus all along.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Corona definitely sucksass! The reason they are so popular is due to a brilliant marketing campaign. Even with a deadly virus named after it the stuff continues to sell at record levels. . . . for toxic waste.:puke:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Meh. Corona isn’t that bad. I prefer bud light, but I won’t turn down anything if its all there is.

So is this corona virus the new scare like ebola and sars? If I’ve learned one thing from all these viruses, Asia sucks!! How the hell do they keep getting these new deadly viruses? Living in such close proximity with poor conditions maybe?

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    So is this corona virus the new scare like ebola and sars? If I’ve learned one thing from all these viruses, Asia sucks!! How the hell do they keep getting these new deadly viruses? Living in such close proximity with poor conditions maybe?

Partly. Also, having 1/4 of the world's population is another major factor. Just by random chance, 1/4 of disease outbreaks will start there.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Meh. Corona isn’t that bad. I prefer bud light, but I won’t turn down anything if its all there is.

It’s being compared to a souped up SARS.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So, you like sex in a canoe, huh?

Not to pick on Asia, but you do make a good point.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of something terribly nasty that came from the West in modern history. Maybe polio around 1900.

AIDS and Ebola came from Africa, so we can't blame Asia for that.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

Off the top of my head, I can't think of something terribly nasty that came from the West in modern history. Maybe polio around 1900.

Yes we can.

I forgot ebola was from Africa, and west nile, and aids, and... that’s all I can think of.

But ya I don’t recall the Western Hemisphere producing any deadly viruses in my lifetime. I think the flu is the worst we’ve had

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Wuhan is suspending all public transportation, buses, trains, airplanes and ferries to better combat the coronavirus epidemic.

Wuhan is a city of roughly 11 million people

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Corona definitely sucksass! The reason they are so popular is due to a brilliant marketing campaign. Even with a deadly virus named after it the stuff continues to sell at record levels. . . . for toxic waste.:puke:

Just as Starbucks is the coffee house for people who don't want to taste the coffee, Corona is the beer for [STRIKE]people[/STRIKE] women who don't want to taste the beer

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Smallpox, if you're a native American

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011

Try reading about the Spanish flu, which likely originated in the US in 1918 (though there is some dispute), eventually infected 500 million around the world, killing 50 million.

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Partly. Also, having 1/4 of the world's population is another major factor. Just by random chance, 1/4 of disease outbreaks will start there.

Cracked me up using logic and math!

This virus seems to be stronger than SARS and has a 7 day incubation period. Interesting fun fact, the patient in Washington state didn't think he had been around any sick people. He was back in the states for almost a week before going to his primary care doc. One of the news agencies reported at many as 14 medical staff were sickened from exposure to just one patient afflicted with this virus...

Nevermore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2018
    Somewhere

China in particular also suffers from the idiocy of" old wive's cures" for lack of a better term, some of which involve eating animals that really ought not to be eaten, including pests like bats and carnivores like civets (basically a cat). This particular virus stems from a massive exotic wildlife market.

Protip: if it eats dead things don't eat it. If it eats even relatively fresh meat don't eat it. If it does both things DO NOT EVER CONTEMPLATE EATING IT.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom