• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm trying to cut some weight and I know I can't out train a bad diet. I have tried intermittent fasting but anytime between 12-16hrs without food seems to trigger a migraine. Plus working nights and changing my sleep pattern a couple times a week makes it too much hassle for me.
    I'm going back to what worked for me before and that's a macro based meal plan.
    I think meal prepping will be a good way to stay on track. So, anyone a meal prepper? Any suggestions on meal planning without eating too much of the same thing all week?

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Over the years I have tried a few different methods to this and have found that it is most sustainable if you make the time on a day off to do most of the prep work. For me it usually looks like about 4 hours in the kitchen on a weekend with the wife's help. I like a lot of the chicken and rice options which can be changed with just using a different type of sauce for different flavors so it doesn't get too boring.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Seriously, one of the women’s magazines(better homes, good housekeeping,??) used to publish a daily calendar with menus and recipes for each day, all made with fresh food, it was pretty awesome, but I got away from it about 6 years ago, and just haven’t looked for it since. Also, hello fresh, or plated, or one of the delivery services, is something to look at. They’re expensive, but you sign up for a month, do their thing, get next months menu, and make it your own. If you have any cooking skills, this isn’t hard. Now, I cook on the weekends for the whole week, then freeze or refrigerate everything, only having to shop daily for fresh veggies for salad if I want it that night, or bakery for fresh bread, again if I want it. Meals and sides are already prepared and portioned for reheating.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm curious about this too... I just count calories on the basis that if input is lower than usage, the weight comes off. It works, but it sucks...

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My brother went on keto and he lost a ton of weight. He’s 6’2 and 190lbs now, was up to 240 before keto. He said the 2 main things is cut sugar and no breads or pastas. I fast daily, I eat dinner and nothing else, which can be worse than eating 3 meals a day. Have you tried eating nuts or fruits throughout the day? That may keep your headaches from happening while also giving you a healthy snack to keep you from getting hungry through the day.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I guess the big obstacle is sustainability. I hate "diets" that restrict or forbid certain foods. I'm kind of a picky eater so I gotta be able to eat what I like.
    I think I will need to do better about planning ahead of grocery shopping too so I don't buy too much.

Vigilant- I like the idea of hello fresh or some of the others but am always worried I will get something and not like it and will end up just wasting money. But I will have to look at some of their options

So with the macro plan I have to track based on hitting goals of 187g of Protein, 173g Carbs and 93g Fat daily, which equates to 2277 calories. I suppose so long as I stay within the calories there is probably some flexibility to allow pretty much whatever I want. I'm going to start by making a menu plan for the next week and see what I come up with

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My brother went on keto and he lost a ton of weight. He’s 6’2 and 190lbs now, was up to 240 before keto. He said the 2 main things is cut sugar and no breads or pastas. I fast daily, I eat dinner and nothing else, which can be worse than eating 3 meals a day. Have you tried eating nuts or fruits throughout the day? That may keep your headaches from happening while also giving you a healthy snack to keep you from getting hungry through the day.

I haven't really jumped into keto. What little I have tried of it seems too restrictive. But yes many people have had great success with it

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I guess the big obstacle is sustainability. I hate "diets" that restrict or forbid certain foods. I'm kind of a picky eater so I gotta be able to eat what I like.
    I think I will need to do better about planning ahead of grocery shopping too so I don't buy too much.

Vigilant- I like the idea of hello fresh or some of the others but am always worried I will get something and not like it and will end up just wasting money. But I will have to look at some of their options

So with the macro plan I have to track based on hitting goals of 187g of Protein, 173g Carbs and 93g Fat daily, which equates to 2277 calories. I suppose so long as I stay within the calories there is probably some flexibility to allow pretty much whatever I want. I'm going to start by making a menu plan for the next week and see what I come up with
    As far as the subscription services, you pick your meals, but I would and do only use them for ideas. Easier and cheaper, go to allrecipes dot com, and type in the foods you like, they will have a ton of recipes. Buy the ****, spend the weekend cooking, buy a food saver or some quality food containers, cook and package your meals for the week.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I prep on Sundays....10 slices of bread, 5 cheese slices, 5 slices of baloney, 5 dill pickles (whole), 5 small apples, 5 packs of peanut butter crackers.

I make a Baloney sandwich with cheese, take a pickle, an apple, and the pack of crackers....put them in a bag. I eat that 5 days a week for lunch.

It could be worse.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton

My oldest boy has lost about 60 lbs doing keto.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I prep on Sundays....10 slices of bread, 5 cheese slices, 5 slices of baloney, 5 dill pickles (whole), 5 small apples, 5 packs of peanut butter crackers.

I make a Baloney sandwich with cheese, take a pickle, an apple, and the pack of crackers....put them in a bag. I eat that 5 days a week for lunch.

It could be worse.

Well that's one way to do it. Yes it could be worse but, I get tired of the same thing every day

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    OP: This is all about willpower. No, not Will Power. That guy has nothing to do with this.

Anyhow - I'm going through this as well. And have been for several years. Some times the willpower is there - sometimes it ain't. I will say, though, that I don't deal with hunger-induced headaches.

Will caffeine help?

And you can indeed cut out a ton of calories by limiting your meal size / portion control. If your body can't go that long without eating - then cut down the size of the meal or snack.

Intermittent fasting has been working for me, when I have the will power.

You can do it, man.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    My oldest boy has lost about 60 lbs doing keto.
    It really works. Plenty of stories of people with diabetes having less problems when they start keto also. It takes a couple weeks (or a month) for your body to go into ketosis, but once it does people lose weight pretty fast. My brother does it for 3 or 4 months then stops.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    We plan the menu a week at a time. Go shopping once. We cook almost daily, but I carry leftovers for my lunch (plus a large salad. Plus tons of fruit.).

Find recipes you like and keep them. Throw away ones you don’t like.

The closer what what you eat looks like it did when harvested, the better. I cut weight when learning to race by getting most of my carbs through veggies. I simply could not eat enough. Fill the plate w colorful stuff.

What you are looking for is a lifestyle change. This takes work. It can be HARD. VERY HARD. my mom lives w us and though we almost never eat junk and ensure there are leftovers for her, she (now a diagnosed diabetic) won’t give up sweets.

Sugar is like crack. Releases a dopamine response. Know it can be hard to get away from.

My wife also does “dump dinners.” 10 or 12 at a time. All ingredients for each meal are put into a ziplock. Frozen. Put into a crockpot when we want it.

I can recommend some easy to use cookbooks if you need ideas. Simple meals that don’t require lots of ‘stuff’ to make.

1mil-high

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Along the "diet" side talking about keto and such. The wife and I try to keep our diet around the Whole30 plan. Are there nights that we will break the strict rule, absolutely. As a whole though it is much easier to keep weight off by avoiding grains, sugar, alcohol, legumes, and dairy. I often eat as much as I want of the Whole30 approved foods throughout the day at meals and in between snacks and have no problems keeping the weight off now.

Strict plans are great, but they aren't sustainable. If you pick a plan to focus your diet around keeping health at the front it won't be as demoralizing when you have a dinner out with friends and "break the rules."

Top Bottom