Any electrical tinkerers know DMX control stuff?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You also need an encoder.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Obey10--chauvet-dj-obey-10-rackmount-128-ch-dmx-controller

Edit: I know this one does music inputs but im not sure how. One morning during worship service, the famly band was playing and they were of course louder than our usual 6 person choir, guitar, and organ. Suddenly we noticed the lights changing with the beat. What the?.... LOL We had somehow put the controller in the mode to react to the sound.

Edit: and they make smaller ones too

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Obey3--chauvet-dj-obey-3-3-ch-dmx-lighting-controller

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    DMX-512 engineer here - I designed a bunch of stuff...

Anyways, Doc, that board will take the DMX signal and drive an RGB strip based on a what a controller tells it to do. So, you need a controller that has a microphone to listen. That Chauvet Obey 3 should do the trick.

The caveat is that the Obey 3 is only three channels - red, blue, green and no separate intensity. I can only assume the product from China is the same, but sometimes a fourth channel is used for intensity - the RGB channels describe the color mix, the intensity channel describes how bright it should be. Otherwise with just three channels, they all must scale proportionally to adjust the brightness.

You'll also need a DMX-512 cable (three pin) to go along with the Obey 3 - you'll cut off one end to attach to the little LED driver board.

If you're not hooked on strip lights, Chauvet DJ and American DJ both make fixtures with microphones built into them.

Or, for the totally adventurous, there's probably an Arduino solution using a LED driver shield and an Arduino microphone.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Thanks. I was hoping there was a cheaper solution than a separate control board.

I've bought cheap rgb led disco balls from.china that react. I'll have to find a link

DMX-512 engineer here - I designed a bunch of stuff...

Anyways, Doc, that board will take the DMX signal and drive an RGB strip based on a what a controller tells it to do. So, you need a controller that has a microphone to listen. That Chauvet Obey 3 should do the trick.

The caveat is that the Obey 3 is only three channels - red, blue, green and no separate intensity. I can only assume the product from China is the same, but sometimes a fourth channel is used for intensity - the RGB channels describe the color mix, the intensity channel describes how bright it should be. Otherwise with just three channels, they all must scale proportionally to adjust the brightness.

You'll also need a DMX-512 cable (three pin) to go along with the Obey 3 - you'll cut off one end to attach to the little LED driver board.

If you're not hooked on strip lights, Chauvet DJ and American DJ both make fixtures with microphones built into them.

Or, for the totally adventurous, there's probably an Arduino solution using a LED driver shield and an Arduino microphone.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom