• ...and so much more!
  • BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    The local folks here are asking that property owners vote themselves a tax increase for "School Safety". It seems like they want 30% of the money to go to "physical safety improvements" and 70% to go towards "Social Services". I'm not sure if increasing "Social Services" will actually help with problems within our schools and make our children safer. I haven't seen any concrete evidence that "Social Services" really helps reduce bullying, reducing truancy or any other problems regarding out-of-control children. Some teachers have said that these problem children come from such terrible and abusive situations, that only "School Social Services" can help. Of course many people will automatically brand me a monster because I am questioning two "untouchable" topics, i.e., "It's for the children!" and "It is about safety!" I only want some accountability on where our taxes are going and how they will be used.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The local folks here are asking that property owners vote themselves a tax increase for "School Safety". It seems like they want 30% of the money to go to "physical safety improvements" and 70% to go towards "Social Services". I'm not sure if increasing "Social Services" will actually help with problems within our schools and make our children safer. I haven't seen any concrete evidence that "Social Services" really helps reduce bullying, reducing truancy or any other problems regarding out-of-control children. Some teachers have said that these problem children come from such terrible and abusive situations, that only "School Social Services" can help. Of course many people will automatically brand me a monster because I am questioning two "untouchable" topics, i.e., "It's for the children!" and "It is about safety!" I only want some accountability on where our taxes are going and how they will be used.

I think it's completely within your right, nay, your duty, to question such a vast expenditure given the overall lack of rationality on the topic.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is simply branding a tax increase in a way that makes weak-minded people believe they cannot vote against it.

Never, ever, ever vote to raise your own taxes. Not for anything. They are not wisely and efficiently using the money they have now. Is any governmental entity?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    This is simply branding a tax increase in a way that makes weak-minded people believe they cannot vote against it.

Never, ever, ever vote to raise your own taxes. Not for anything. They are not wisely and efficiently using the money they have now. Is any governmental entity?

Exactly how I feel about it.

We're already funding the schools, as we should. Bring up the next generation. It doesn't mean you should be on the hook for 50 million dollar buildings.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville

I'm absolutely sure it won't!

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN

^^^ This. Never vote for a property tax increase for the schools. I came from Ohio where this is utterly out of control. My parents still live in the school district where I was raised. They are currently paying $4,400 a year in taxes a year to the schools on 1.5 acres of land with a ranch style house. It's never enough and they keep asking for more twice a year. The school wants millions for new buildings or a stadium? All they have to do is threaten to cut bussing or programs like football and the idiot renters vote another increase.

I personally voted against a school levy my senior year while I was still in school. There's zero accountability.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    We do it here as well. My in-laws in Indianapolis had 6 school tax "referendums" in place until recently.

Just like we are still paying for the Hoosier Dome, that was torn down to build the Lucas Oil Stadium that we are also still paying for.... They were paying taxes on school buildings and programs that had since been closed or cancelled. The schools still happily to the cash, though. Crooks. Everyone one of them.

I don't trust them with the money they already take from me. Why would I want to give them more?

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    My wife and I moved from Perry Township in Marion County to rural northern Morgan County about five years ago. Where we live now is unincorporated, and in the Mooresville school district.

With a larger house and some acreage, we are paying LESS in property taxes than we were in Marion County. Services, in my opinion, are better in Morgan County. Especially the roads. The difference is visible immediately upon entering Indianapolis/Marion County.

The property tax caps were imposed to address local units' (and, especially, libraries) failure to live within their means and make it up with property taxes.

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Our superintendent in Vanderburgh County is the highest paid school superintendent in Indiana. In fact, he is one of the highest paid taxpayer funded government employees in the whole state. On average, he makes almost eight times as much as the average teacher. It will be a cold day in a hot place before I would ever support raising the school tax levy.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

They will pad that program so deeply no one will know where the money went. Have you "EVER" met a state employee that had a freaking clue.
    Not LEO and that crew but the school admin's and their minions.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    If the schools need more money, it’s time to cut programs, like football, basketball, ALL sports and extras using tax funds. Teach the little bastards to read, write or print, and add and subtract. That can be done in old buildings, no need for fancy modern over budget buildings, no need for as many admins as are currently sucking the system. Make them balance their budgets rather than steal from the public, especially those of the public with no stake (no kids in the system).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If the schools need more money, it’s time to cut programs, like football, basketball, ALL sports and extras using tax funds. Teach the little bastards to read, write or print, and add and subtract. That can be done in old buildings, no need for fancy modern over budget buildings, no need for as many admins as are currently sucking the system. Make them balance their budgets rather than steal from the public, especially those of the public with no stake (no kids in the system).

We sent our kids to the Catholic schools. We paid a hefty tuition to do this. We also paid for everything extra. All sports had a fee to cover the expense. We even bought the girls teams u informs one year and put a crap load into the boys sports for gear. And we paid
    taxes for the crap ass school system. We still pay. Kids are long up and In The world.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    We sent our kids to the Catholic schools. We paid a hefty tuition to do this. We also paid for everything extra. All sports had a fee to cover the expense. We even bought the girls teams u informs one year and put a crap load into the boys sports for gear. And we paid
    taxes for the crap ass school system. We still pay. Kids are long up and In The world.
    Which should qualify you for a tax rebate/credit in the amount of your private school tuition.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    If it's not directly paying for guns and/or training for the school staff, then it ain't doing dick for "School Safety". :noway:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I shouldn’t have to pay extra to ensure my child’s safety in your school. That should be #1, education should be #2, and anything else (athletics) should come after if the budget allows it. When i played for the school we had 3 basketball gyms (game day gym, practice gym, girls game day gym) 2 baseball fields (again practice and game day) and 2 football fields (same, practice and game day). We had a indoor pool for swimming competitions, and tennis courts by the school. Our soccer fields are across town, and the girls softball fields are also across town. We had to pay for our gear (uniforms, cleats, pads, etc.) plus pay a set amount to play, which I’m guessing is for travel and coaching? Now, I’m no accountant, but that’s a lot of money on athletics alone. I enjoy sports so I don’t want that to be taken out of schools, BUT, safety and education should come before ANY extracurricular activities. If they can’t do that with the budget they’re given, start cutting activities. Every household in the country has to budget their needs/wants and spend accordingly. I’m sick of “teachers need paid more, we need to raise your taxes” then 2 months later “we need more safety, we need to raise your taxes”.

Sounds like maybe the school admins needs to attend a couple business and Econ classes during the day.

HKUSP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Danville, IN

I get angry every time someone refers to the public school system as "a free education". BS! My father built his house in 1961 and is still shoveling money at the same school I graduated from in 1992. Where's the "fairness" in that? For what he's paid in they could have sent me to a private school and a four year school and been done for a long time now.

Top Bottom