• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    This is from my wife's hometown of San Narciso, Zambales, about four hours north along the coast from Manila. The Filipino guerrillas (quite a few of my in-laws) had done an excellent job of paving the way for the Americans landing on the beaches along the coast. You simply cannot say enough about the heroes of our troops who fought so bravely, and hard, across the entire Pacific.

END OF WORLD WAR II 75th ANNIVERSARY. The end came on 29 JANUARY 1945 in San Narciso, Zambales with the bloodless landing of American forces in Baybay

We were born about three years later. We remember our mother, who was still single at that time, that when she heard about white soldiers moving into town from Baybay, she immediately grabbed her young nephew and started running toward the plaza (they were in San Pascual). Her father tried to stop them because he was afraid they were Japanese!

Nobody knew that the Americans have landed except the guerrillas who knew they were coming by sea.

Well known Narcisenian educator/writer Maximo Ramos, who was as surprised as everyone else that Uncle Sam has landed, left us an eye-witness account in his essay “That Day Was for Heroes.”

Here we can see the jubilation of our cailianes when they knew for sure that the Americans have indeed landed --:

‘Early at 4:30 A.M. on January 29, 1945, on my way to get my daily ration of fresh carabao's milk, I looked up into the sky. A plane was already patrolling over the town … where we had but recently evacuated from Manila. A green light gleamed on its belly as it went back and forth over the coconut palms.

‘Shortly afterward more fighters joined it, and they all kept the town and its environs covered, very much like hawks circling for prey over a marshland.

‘… A little past the municipal cemetery halfway to the sea I began to hear American English. Voices came from behind the bamboos and under the low line of trees on both sides of the road. I had to look twice before I found that a column of troops in jungle green was advancing along each side of the road, and looking closer I saw that observant eyes were fixed on me. I was among the first civilians to meet them, and it must have seemed impossible that an invasion could be so completely unopposed. But I proceeded unmolested, and a little farther on I met foot-soldiers going single-file along the shoulders of the road, two columns of men whose attire made them part of the vegetation. Nearly all held at port small rifles, the others being armed with tommy guns. Here and there were men who carried boxes on their backs -- boxes with long rods sticking into the air and with phone attachments to them.

‘Before such a solemn, almost grim group, it took some courage to wave a greeting. I did manage to raise my hand and wave it in the air after a while. But though three or four men smiled back wordlessly to acknowledge my greeting, the general reaction to my gesture was so cold that I wondered whether these men, who had been through so much fighting, from down below the equator and across steaming New Guinea and other island jungles, had not lost the sense of humor one knew as a strong American trait. I was rather taken aback, too, at their hunger for chewing gum. Everyone of them was chewing, and I could almost fear that their avowed business of chewing up the Jap had, during the jungle campaigns, taken on a literal meaning and they were now at diligent practice for their final victory over the enemy by mastication. Owing to the heavy traffic, I had now to walk beside my bike. Jeeps and trucks full of men and equipment had appeared on the road and, almost suffocated with dust, I finally reached the sea.

‘Far into the western horizon and extending from San Felipe in the north to San Miguel in the south, an area of over a hundred square kilometers, sat closely packed ships of all sizes and shapes clearly limned in the morning sun. There were ships painted with bold night-marish stripes, ships smeared with untrammeled blotches of color that would have made Salvador Dali slap his thighs in glee, ships daubed a sedate gray, big ships, small ships; ships that came puffing to the edge of the water, climbed up the sand, then careened or crunched down the road, leaving clouds of dust wholly indifferent to the astounding feat they had accomplished. All along the beachhead, landing craft were shuttling between the big ships and the shore, scraping sand, opening their huge maws, disgorging men and equipment and food and going out for more.

‘Tractors ground out of the mouths of shallow-draft boats, pushed up the sand, and, far from docilely following the crowded dirt road to town, made straight for the carabao paths that I had known well as a kid, rooting out of their way whole clumps of bamboos and trees that had stood there since the oldest villager could remember. Then monster tanks followed, thundering like ten simultaneous tropical storms, grinding everything under their rotating hoofs and making a pall of brown dust hang over the countryside.

‘By this time the main street was lined with the citizenry, finally assured that these were not Japs. The girls came out with scarlet hibiscus and yellow bells and offered them to the soldiers, who pinned them on their drab uniforms or stuck them into the camouflage netting over their helmets. The V-sign with which we had sent our soldiers in tears to the war-fronts long before, was now being freely exchanged once more. Even small children had learned to shout, "Victoree -- one candee!"

‘The spearheading soldier slogged on or bounced along the road in endless trucks and jeeps, straight for the San Marcelino airstrip and the Subic Bay area where the Japs had concentrated their rearguard. The tanks and bulldozers and half-tracks sped across the fields. The service troops bivouacked in groves on the outskirts of the town. They seemed to know my own hometown a lot better than I.

‘Gun emplacements sprang up around the beachhead and radar apparatus was rigged up in strategic spots on the countryside. Bakeries on wheels were turning out bread, water tanks on wheels were fetching drinking water from wells newly dug at the banks of streams, gas tanks on wheels were on the road, power units on wheels were grinding out electricity, containers on wheels were unloading crates of supplies and piling them in mountainous dumps. They set up field ranges and heated all manner of food which they took out of cans and endless boxes. They set up cots and slung hammocks between the trees.

‘Before dusk ended that first day of liberation, cannonading could be heard from the mountains beyond Subic Bay thirty miles farther on: they had chased the Jap into the zig-zag pass toward the Bataan Peninsula.”

We will be there for the celebration.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Excellent. Thanks for posting.

I especially like this bit of description:

...ships that came puffing to the edge of the water, climbed up the sand, then careened or crunched down the road, leaving clouds of dust wholly indifferent to the astounding feat they had accomplished.

Top Bottom