Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bullet strikes father and son in accidental shooting

January 20, 2020...

...A father and son were both struck in the head by a bullet from a gun accidentally discharged Sunday night, according to the Monroe County Sheriff’s Office.

First responders were dispatched to E Zinnia Drive Sunday night around 8:18 p.m. Sunday evening, where according to a press release from the MSCO, a 36-year-old man, and his 4-year-old son were suffering from gunshot wounds to their heads. The man and his son, according to the release, were play wrestling, when the gun discharged once when it fell. The gun had been concealed on the small of the father’s back, according to the MSCO.

Both the father, and the son, were rushed to IU Health Bloomington for treatment, then the father was taken to IU Health Methodist where he is expected to recover, and the boy was transported to Riley Children’s Hospital, and is in critical care...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The question is; when is the time and place to educate folks on firearm's handling? How many other folks are out there right now innocently practicing terribly dangerous habits?

EOmlAtvWoAIuG-D

White Squirrel

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Since you insist, I will ask a couple of my questions:

*Should you be on the floor wrestling with a child while carrying your handgun? When I know I am going to be active with my grandson, I remove it and secure it and then retrieve it later.
    *What kind of holster, if any, was he using? Seems like the gun was not very well secured.
    *Once again, we have "the gun just went off!" defense. Really, or did the child accidently grab it? Was it falling out of his pants (however it was being carried) and he grabbed for it to try to catch it?

Those are just the immediate ones that come to mind. I am sure there are plenty of people who will add to this abbreviated list.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    True, but at least in this case he is only going to shoot off his own foot! :(
    Are you sure that bullet will stop at the concrete after going through the dumbass' foot?

What will happen to the leg-holstered handgun (pointing at the camera man) when said dude blows the foot off of that leg?

What direction will the rifle fly to after these actions and what will happen when it lands?

Last edited:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    This is horrible. Father and son doing what fathers and sons do, and their life’s are changed forever. Prayers for both, I hope the kiddo makes it out with no lifelong effects. Good reminder to always be aware of our firearms, only takes a split second. I hate these kind of stories

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

*Should you be on the floor wrestling with a child while carrying your handgun? When I know I am going to be active with my grandson, I remove it and secure it and then retrieve it later.
    *What kind of holster, if any, was he using? Seems like the gun was not very well secured.
    *Once again, we have "the gun just went off!" defense. Really, or did the child accidently grab it? Was it falling out of his pants (however it was being carried) and he grabbed for it to try to catch it?

Those are just the immediate ones that come to mind. I am sure there are plenty of people who will add to this abbreviated list.

I will only say in the end (With out being right there) yes this is on the dad. Period.
    When the terrorists attack (avatar) and they do often I will remove my EDC. Period.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I will only say in the end (With out being right there) yes this is on the dad. Period.
    When the terrorists attack (avatar) and they do often I will remove my EDC. Period.

100% agree. It’s his firearm in his holster, his responsibility.

Just a sad deal all around. Poor little boy was just playing with dad. This kinda stuff sucks

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm pulling for them both.

When will we all learn to be responsible in our firearms handling?

It is the human condition BW. I have made mistakes in many areas of my life as others have done as well. Never hurt anyone thank the powers that over see us.

Pulling for the little one. We worry over the little ones. They are innocent in all of this.
    No malice towards Dad just mixed emotions in this one.

I worry over the little ones.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

The model isn't listed, so I will assume it's "drop safe", and if the guy was carrying SOB, then I've already got an opinion of his skill set in mind...

NEVER REACH FOR A FALLING GUN.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This story grieves me to the core. :(
    I can't even allow myself to dwell on it.

When people visit in my home, I put all handguns in the safe except for the one I'm carrying.
    I have those special "hiding-but-handy" (not locked up) places in 2 different rooms, but I have no kids around anymore.
    I have a couple of cop friends (from church) & I remember them saying how that was the 1st thing they did when they got home: in the gun lockbox.
    They didn't carry while in the home.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So it was a Glock 19? Then I guess it snagged on something, maybe a finger.

This story grieves me to the core. :(
    I can't even allow myself to dwell on it.

When people visit in my home, I put all handguns in the safe except for the one I'm carrying.
    Yeah, it's really a tragedy. As Kirk says, "Eez gon, Eez not safe."

I have those special "hiding-but-handy" (not locked up) places in 2 different rooms, but I have no kids around anymore.
    I have a couple of cop friends (from church) & I remember them saying how that was the 1st thing they did when they got home: in the gun lockbox.
    They didn't carry while in the home.

:n00b:

Well, I guess we all make choices... and not all cops are gun guys.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I seen that. The gun was a G19.

There is some discrepancy on various reporting that the gun was pocket carried or small of back (like we learn from TV shows. :rolleyes:)

The story was picked up by the AP and is reported around the county and world for that matter. One Google link was from the UK.

It's really sad about the little boy, but this hurts us all.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom