• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Ok guys, I think I have a raccoon that made a home out of my crawl space...I've known for a while that I have a creature digging a hole under my foundation walls, but literally an hour ago, I saw the biggest raccoon walking down the alley alongside my house. Columbus Animal Control won't deal with wild animals anymore and they only gave me numbers to a couple people that charge who knows how much to get rid of a wild pest...any suggestions how I can get rid of them myself before being forced to pay for a service?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Live trap. Can of the smelliest cat food you can find. Put it very close to the hole. Wait.
    Take the masked POS garbage eating POS somewhere. S.S.S.

This truly works.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Use a trapper cage. I’m sure someone you know has one laying around, if not you can order them off amazon fairly cheap. Put some marshmallows inside the cage, put the cage in the crawl space and check it in the morning. If he’s in it just load the cage up and take him out to the woods somewhere to release.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    We live trapped and relocated 7 of them last year. Big ones, small ones and one very fat one. The bait? Bananas. The barn cats don't like bananas, so we only get coons in the trap.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We live trapped and relocated 7 of them last year. Big ones, small ones and one very fat one. The bait? Bananas. The barn cats don't like bananas, so we only get coons in the trap.

Around here (before the Coyotes and the hawk) catching a Ferrell was A-OK with us.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I know(last time I checked) that it's illegal to relocate racoons in Indiana, so it will have to be dispatched one way or another. All I have atm is a 1911, a 22LR would be sufficient but I'm not in a position to buy another gun atm.

I know somebody with a coon trap but I can only imagine how messy it will get blasting it with my 45acp...

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I had some skunks (7 of them) trapped and taken away by a commercial guy. Not cheap, but not terrible.

I borrowed a trap and got the two raccoons that were living in my tree. I drove them about 7-8 miles out into the country and let them go.

Our animal control will come and take a wild animal if it's in your house. Otherwise, it's up to me to deal with them.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I know(last time I checked) that it's illegal to relocate racoons in Indiana, so it will have to be dispatched one way or another. All I have atm is a 1911, a 22LR would be sufficient but I'm not in a position to buy another gun atm.

I know somebody with a coon trap but I can only imagine how messy it will get blasting it with my 45acp...

If you have to kill it, a bucket of water big enough to hold the trap will be a lot less messy then shooting it. Easier on the cage, too.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Here's what I found on the DNR website:

Resident landowners and tenants can trap a raccoon that is causing damage on their own property without a permit from the DNR. The raccoon must be euthanized or released within the county of capture on private property in which you have permission to release the raccoon. In order to prevent the spread of disease, the DNR encourages homeowners to safely and humanely euthanize the raccoons, if possible. If you do not want to trap the raccoon yourself, contact a licensed nuisance wild animal control operator.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Regardless of legality, relocation of pests like raccoons should not even be a thought. No one wants someone else's pest relocated to their doorstep.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I have a buddy lending me a raccoon cage and a crossbolt pistol...still going to source a 22lr I think.

Top Bottom