• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    My son in law is looking for a new job and has a couple of leads, 1 at Amtrak and 1 at Pepsico/Gatorade.....he is kind of concerned because his buddy who referred him is still a newer guy at Amtrak and s-i-l said it is hard to get on without a referral from someone inside. He has been in landscaping/snow removal/lawn tech for the last 8-10 years and he just wants out of it and something more secure. He is a quick learner, no drugs, and shows up everyday.

He has mentioned trying to get on as an apprentice in one of the skilled trade unions....pipe fitter, electricians and he even mentioned HVAC school. He needs to make 16-18 an hour minimum to start, can a guy make that as an apprentice in any of them trades? Any thoughts or advice on getting in a union job?

I can help him in Laborers Union....he was a drywall finisher for several years, don't think he is interested in it again, unless he has to.

Thanks guys!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    How is the best way to get into HVAC with no experience? Thank you sir.

You dont.
    And no it will not pay at that level with zero experience.
    The best apprentice program is through the local union halls. But it is a tough nut to crack with out inside help.
    Non-union HVAC techs buy their own tools and put in the work to get the better pay.
    It is a trade that requires a self starter. Someone that completely understands the use of tools and has to be customer oriented.
    Residential is a starting point but brother it is a meat grinder. If you survive that and move on to commercial work the door opens up for some real money.

Trade school is your entry point to the trade. You have to have some skills or you do not hold worth to the company.

If he wants steady work he needs to do the things he is looking into. Entry level HVAC is seriously seasonal until you get your self established.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    i have done HVAC work for almost 40 years and have never been with out a job...

Me too but there are slow times with some companys especially for the new/low level guys.
    But I started out in a time where companys would train you. I did Refrigeration for years before crossing over into A/C stuff. Then worked both.

Not saying he should not try just saying he needs to know the reality's of the trade.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I recently asked the same question in response to a video on YouTube.... Now, keep in mind the answers I got were also from YouTube, so...

The general answer was to get started in a trade, show up to all of the various places you'd like to work (dressed neatly, shaven, etc, but ready to work) and ask them for a job. Do this every week until someone finally says they need a guy.

Since no one, and I mean absolutely no one, ever talked to me in high school about starting a trade (just talked a lot about college) the entire idea that it could be that simple was a little mind boggling to me. I doubt he's going to walk in and name his wage and all of that, but, it sounds like a reasonable plan to get started. If I had it to do all over again, and there was a clear path to doing it, I'd be a tool maker. Anyhow...

FWIW, I have some past, passing, experience with Shambaugh and Son and they always had a few apprentices around when they were on our jobs and those guys have their fingers in just about everything. I know their pipefitters were all union (at least almost 10 years ago now) so the union hall is probably still the place to start with them, but showing up once a week at the HQ just to say hello again probably wouldn't hurt either. I'll also say that their apprentices worked their tails off and were pretty sharp, and if a guy wasn't, I didn't see him anymore...

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    If he is just looking for steady right now work there are multiple Amazon warehouses hiring right now around the Indy area. They are starting at a minimum of $15 an hour for day shift and $16 for night shift plus you get day one benefits that are great. My wife has worked there for 11+ years. They work 4-10 hour days which is nice also and have quite a bit of voluntary overtime

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently asked the same question in response to a video on YouTube.... Now, keep in mind the answers I got were also from YouTube, so...

The general answer was to get started in a trade, show up to all of the various places you'd like to work (dressed neatly, shaven, etc, but ready to work) and ask them for a job. Do this every week until someone finally says they need a guy.

Since no one, and I mean absolutely no one, ever talked to me in high school about starting a trade (just talked a lot about college) the entire idea that it could be that simple was a little mind boggling to me. I doubt he's going to walk in and name his wage and all of that, but, it sounds like a reasonable plan to get started. If I had it to do all over again, and there was a clear path to doing it, I'd be a tool maker. Anyhow...

FWIW, I have some past, passing, experience with Shambaugh and Son and they always had a few apprentices around when they were on our jobs and those guys have their fingers in just about everything. I know their pipefitters were all union (at least almost 10 years ago now) so the union hall is probably still the place to start with them, but showing up once a week at the HQ just to say hello again probably wouldn't hurt either. I'll also say that their apprentices worked their tails off and were pretty sharp, and if a guy wasn't, I didn't see him anymore...

The apprenticeship through the hall requires a lot of classroom time but when you top out and are done you have a degree. But again you have to put in the work. Getting accepted is difficult as mentioned.

deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    If he’s not afraid of heights, then linework would be an excellent choice. Companies are always looking for good apprentices

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Swapping occupations without using your prior experience is tough at best and to start at your aformentioned pay rate is even tougher. Any trade would be a great choice but there is a apprenticeship time period before your pay is at a acceptable rate. If hes in a hurry and doesnt have the time to wait boogieman has some good information. Getting into the trades isnt a breeze but can be accomplished it just takes time. I have 20ish years as a IBEW JW and the good pay isnt overnight but if you can make it through your apprenticeship its a very good living as in all the trades. There are some good jobs to be had but experience will dictate your pay rate and very few start at the pay he is seeking.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    Any thoughts about being in the collision industry? Right now collision centers all over are fighting over techs. I’ve been in the field for most of my life and I have never seen a tech shortage like this. I know gerber collision is doing an apprenticeship program and they also give you a set of tools.
    I was lucky and started very young in a small shop and worked my way up as a painter very quick. It’s been a very good career. I’m pretty sure gerbers apprenticeship program starts at $15 but I could be wrong.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Up here, we have had both the electrical and ironworker's unions running commercials trying to get apprentices.:dunno:

...The general answer was to get started in a trade, show up to all of the various places you'd like to work (dressed neatly, shaven, etc, but ready to work) and ask them for a job. Do this every week until someone finally says they need a guy.

I did that back in the early 90's without any luck. Then somebody gave me the contact info for the guy who ran the apprenticeship program at the Dept. of Labor. I was told to call him every week because he'd know of any area shops whose current apprentices were finishing up.

I think the guy that told me this was screwing with me. Because ole Mr Harker at the Dept of Labor started to get REALLY sick of me calling him by week #3.:laugh:

He was a kinda gruff old guy, and I think to just stop me calling, at week #5 he pointed me to a shop that had an apprentice with a month or so to go. I got hired there the next day as a floor sweeper/truck driver. A month later I officially became an apprentice tool maker.

I was very lucky how it all worked out. I couldn't have picked a better shop. We didn't have the best or most modern equipment, but we had amazing tool makers. We mostly built injection molds and they were often molds that other shops wouldn't touch. The stuff I was taught to do on manual machines with a paper drawing is hard to do today even with current CNC technology and a solid model.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Man, he can also really leverage his former drywall finishing experience with electrical and/or HVAC companies - I'd imagine. Just as long as he didn't let himself get shoe-horned into that being his only job.

Best to your son in law.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    NDT or nondestructive testing is something that can do very well. I work w a gut whip was a level III and owned a business. He only does it now because he loves it.

Willing to carry heavy gear and work hard can get you a long way. Got to be smart and able to follow processes. You can travel tons if you want and are good. His guys were the only ones that did ALL the nuc plants in the US.

PM if he wants me to try and get some more info. Companies are hungry for good folks.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I was fortunate to get accepted into the Local 440 HVAC apprenticeship program almost 12 years ago with absolutely zero experience. Those 5 years sucked. Newly married. Had two kids during those five years. It was 1,000% worth it. The world opens up to you if/when you top out. It’s a good feeling knowing that if something crazy happens at my job now, I can make two or three calls and be right back to work the next week.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I was fortunate to get accepted into the Local 440 HVAC apprenticeship program almost 12 years ago with absolutely zero experience. Those 5 years sucked. Newly married. Had two kids during those five years. It was 1,000% worth it. The world opens up to you if/when you top out. It’s a good feeling knowing that if something crazy happens at my job now, I can make two or three calls and be right back to work the next week.

In this trade the skills acquired cover the gambit. There is not a lot you can not do with them.

Top Bottom