• ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    If someone did their taxes and filed them, and then a bank interest statement for $24 came in the mail the next day, would it be worth filing an amended return? Does the IRS get that interest information, or only if you are audited? Asking for a friend. (Really.)

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So you owe them another $2-3 for that $24 in interest? They won't notice or care. It would nearly cost more in postage to try to collect from you.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    If someone did their taxes and filed them, and then a bank interest statement for $24 came in the mail the next day, would it be worth filing an amended return? Does the IRS get that interest information, or only if you are audited? Asking for a friend. (Really.)

The bank reports it to the IRS. The IRS does matching of information returns (1099) to what you reported on your tax return (1040). The IRS sends a notice of proposed changes based on matching and a bill for additional tax along with interest and maybe a penalty.

The tax, interest, and penalty will be small. Wait for a letter from the IRS later this summer and send them a check if they catch your omission.

(I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but I am a CPA)

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Many years ago I got a notice in 5-tuplicate from the IRS trying to collect.......wait for it..............9¢.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    you can not file an amended tax return electronically , so the printing cost & postage would be greater than the effect on your taxes.. If you really want to report it, do so on next years return & just put a statement that the information came to you after you filed your taxes..

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    The bank reports it to the IRS. The IRS does matching of information returns (1099) to what you reported on your tax return (1040). The IRS sends a notice of proposed changes based on matching and a bill for additional tax along with interest and maybe a penalty.

The tax, interest, and penalty will be small. Wait for a letter from the IRS later this summer and send them a check if they catch your omission.

(I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn but I am a CPA)

Correct answer. (AICPA alumnus, ret.)

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Correct answer. (AICPA alumnus, ret.)

We accountants are ready for anything.

MV5BNDc5Mzg2NTYxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjQ2ODAwOTE@._V1_UX182_CR0,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    You will be getting a call from a guy you can't understand from the IRS, just buy the giftcards like he says and everything will be OK.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Here's a reason to not file so early.

I would suggest going through the process of filling out a 1040X to at least see how it changes things.

But, of course, I love filling out 1040's, so YMMV.

Top Bottom