• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Something I have been planning to do but (mentioned in another post) recent events have stepped up my timetable.

• I need something 2 cover at least 2 doors
    • preferrably wireless
    • prefer email capabilities, cloud or app storage, etc (without subscription)
    • motion detect, stills a must, short video would be good too
    • user friendly, I know little (stress little) about networking

I have a wired dvr system with several cameras new in box but really don't want to have to run cables, etc

Edit;
    I have an older Simpi Safe alarm system if it matters.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I bought a Ring doorbell, but returned it. Try as I might, it would never communicate with my wifi despite being only about 20 feet from my gateway. I too would like a truly "wireless" system as I don't want to have to run cables or install new electrical outlets. I have no problem changing batteries every so often, but so far I haven't found anything that fit the bill. To me, if you have to plug it in to an electrical outlet, then it's not "wireless".

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a Ring doorbell, but returned it. Try as I might, it would never communicate with my wifi despite being only about 20 feet from my gateway. I too would like a truly "wireless" system as I don't want to have to run cables or install new electrical outlets. I have no problem changing batteries every so often, but so far I haven't found anything that fit the bill. To me, if you have to plug it in to an electrical outlet, then it's not "wireless".

Our cameras are hard wired. The main unit is powered and sends the power out to the cameras in the harness. So 1 set of cable to each camera. It took a bit of time as I had to get creative in that we have 2 monitors on the system. 1 is 24/7 in the TV room next to the main TV. The monitor is a 40" flats screen TV that is easily viewed. The bedroom is the same. 40" TV that is on the system as well. Something goes bump in the night and I press a button on the remote and view the compound from every angle. The 2 systems in the compound total 16 Cameras. Th other system (mine has 8) is available on my phone to see the terrorists house next door. They can do the same with mine.

The big expense outside the actual system is the Monitors and cables.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Our cameras are hard wired. The main unit is powered and sends the power out to the cameras in the harness. So 1 set of cable to each camera. It took a bit of time as I had to get creative in that we have 2 monitors on the system. 1 is 24/7 in the TV room next to the main TV. The monitor is a 40" flats screen TV that is easily viewed. The bedroom is the same. 40" TV that is on the system as well. Something goes bump in the night and I press a button on the remote and view the compound from every angle. The 2 systems in the compound total 16 Cameras. Th other system (mine has 8) is available on my phone to see the terrorists house next door. They can do the same with mine.

The big expense outside the actual system is the Monitors and cables.

I have neither the knowledge nor the desire to go crawling around my attic, running new electrical and ethernet cable. Kudos to those that do! Also doesn't help that our walls are either cinderblock or plaster and lathe, so snaking cable wouild be no small task.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Perfectly satisfied with out Ring products. $30/year each or $100/year for cloud storage on unlimited devices. We have 2 doorbells and a floodlight cam.

As with all services, if you don’t want to be compromised, use dual authentication and don’t use the same stupid password for everything.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Sometimes you get notifications and at other times you do not. When the lawn people are here it goes off every 1-2 minutes for several cycles. But the ups guy can drop off a package at the door and you do not get any notifications. Sometimes the wife gets notices and I do not. I finally just eliminated it from my phone.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Perfectly satisfied with out Ring products. $30/year each or $100/year for cloud storage on unlimited devices. We have 2 doorbells and a floodlight cam.

As with all services, if you don’t want to be compromised, use dual authentication and don’t use the same stupid password for everything.
    My gripe with ring isn’t about being compromised, it’s more that I don’t own my images, once it hits the app, it’s fair game for anyone. I especially don’t like their handholding with Law Enforcement. If I don’t want the popo to have something taken with my camera that should be end of story. I am pro LE, but I’m also pro 4th.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I don't do wireless or use a cloud service for my video system due to security concerns. OP, you already have a system in the box you could use, but you "don't want to have to run cables, etc." Well, ok.

All my entrances are covered with 4MP, IP PoE cameras. Put it in years ago. Running the wires was no big deal after a bit of thought. Wouldn't hesitate to do it again. PoE is the only way to go with wired.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Sometimes you get notifications and at other times you do not. When the lawn people are here it goes off every 1-2 minutes for several cycles. But the ups guy can drop off a package at the door and you do not get any notifications. Sometimes the wife gets notices and I do not. I finally just eliminated it from my phone.
    had a ring for three years now, this is exactly my experience, my front door is fairly far off the road, garbage day i'll get 30 notifications due to large slow moving trucks on the road, HOWEVER, ups/amazon/fedex can drop a package 6ft in front of my camera right on my doorstep and nothing, no notification. ring is cheap, easy to use but its unpredictable. looking for something better.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Part of my issue of running wires, etc is that there is a good chance the house will be removed for development in the next year or 2. If my plan was to stay here indefinitely it would be a different story, trying to keep things temporary but workable & mobile.

Top Bottom