• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    So there I was in a deep sleep when the doorbell rings. That got my two chocolate lab alarm clocks attention and the barking and growling started. I rolled over and looked at the alarm clock next to the bed... 2:35. I thought who in the f**k is at my door this early? I grab my Sig P220 from the night stand and head for the door to find a young man with a bloody face on my front porch. I live in a more rural area and thought this surely isn’t good. He proceeds to apologize for the wake up and let’s me know he just fell asleep at the wheel, smokes my mailbox while going off road ignoring through the drainage ditch and has wrecked his truck. He can’t find his phones and would like to use mine to call 911. I have him go to the back porch and grab my cell. He makes his call as I grab a jacket and light and we head to his truck. This kid was lucky. The truck is totaled. He hit the mailbox, ran the ditch the width of my property and hit a field access embankment, went over it and that’s when it diligence in and flipped. He missed a monster boulder by a couple feet, and smashed the back half of the bed to the rear wheels. Found his phones and he made some calls until the Sheriff showed up.

He was was super lucky and will be sore for awhile, but he is walking away from it. I will take that early morning wake up versus a fatal accident in my front yard any day of the week.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Some poor guy in a wreck is now the best-case scenario for the 0230 doorbell. That's sad but true.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    When we went back to his truck, I showed him the boulder he missed by a few feet. I think he realized how lucky he was after seeing his truck with my flashlight and that he was up and walking was a pure miracle. The damage definitely won't buff out.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My thoughts as well. My initial thought was somebody playing a new game called suicide by home invasion!

That's probably what we would get around here. We have been woken by an impact out front more tan once. Head on when a drunk crossed center and a blown tire in one of indys famous basements in the road pot holes and the woman smoked a pole.

DI I am glad this was not far more serious on many levels.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I’m glad no one was seriously hurt. A number of years ago, a work friend’s wife got killed when a driver lost control of his car, left the road, and crashed into his house. I think the driver in this case was drunk too. Nothing good happens after 2am.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I’m glad no one was seriously hurt. A number of years ago, a work friend’s wife got killed when a driver lost control of his car, left the road, and crashed into his house. I think the driver in this case was drunk too. Nothing good happens after 2am.

Sleep happens. Sleep is good. ;) Of course in my case that happens shortly after 8 p.m..

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    These things happen from time to time - enough that it's a known ruse of criminals to frantically knock on doors claiming to need help. Sounds like the OP handled it well. Glad the lad is going to be ok.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Check the exterior cameras first to make sure their accomplices aren’t waiting around the corner.

That isn't an issue. I have a wide view from the front door so no one can hide out of sight.

Once the remodel and addition are complete, a upgraded camera system will be installed. Next time I will have video and can tell who takes out my mailbox.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have an old friend that totaled his car after he fell asleep... thereafter he would always say "I'm a really safe driver. I've only ever had one accident, and that one doesn't really count because I was asleep at the time."

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I hope to die peacefully in my sleep like uncle Eddy. Not like those other people in his car.

I usually go out another door to go see who is nocking at my front door in the middle of the night.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Check the exterior cameras first to make sure their accomplices aren’t waiting around the corner.

This.

Glad it worked out for you this time Doc. In the future, the suggested protocol is to not give them the phone or even open the door, but to instead call 911 yourself on their behalf. Lots of "hey mister, let me use your phone!" and as soon as its handed over, bad things happen. Like the lady a couple miles from us: She's warming up her car and a 17yo girl approaches and says she is in trouble and needs to use her phone. Innocent lady hands her the cell phone and the "victim" pretends to make a call, then pockets the cell. At this time a male accomplice exits a nearby vehicle and forces the victim into her apartment and they lock her in her bathroom and they proceed to load valuables into walmart bags and rob her blind. She cant call 911 for help because she no longer has her phone. :ugh: 10 Minutes later I have the male accomplice on camera trying to do the same strongarm to my neighbor across the street as she scraped her windows while the car warmed up. She screamed for her BF and ran to the front door... The perp probably thought he was about to hit the jackpot again but as soon as she opened the door you could hear their pitbull start barking and the perp did a most excellent impression of Usain Bolt and beat feet faster than I have ever seen before. :):

I'm not hating on you doc, because probably the bloody face was a good reason to believe him. (I cant imagine two perps saying "OK, you give me a bloody nose, and then I'll go ring the bell.")

Top Bottom