• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you talking about the 79 year old is just looking old?

3dbdc9f8-7597-4475-b664-fa7ae988cefb-cent02-797edpa480i1lmfd0jxc_original.jpg

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    He didn't look bad for 79 years old... probably heartburn from that 12-0 run my Boilermakers put on them at the end of the first half...

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    It's good to see him back. I didn't think he would ever set foot back on campus, let alone Assembly Hall.

Edit to add I hope he took an upper decker in Archie Miller's bathroom!

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Unfortunately there is not much use in having General Patton in a peacetime military...

The mamby pamby social media generation can't handle the truth as movie Col. Jessup said. Coaches today have to be part psychologist and part cool on top of being seen as a winner.

The GOAT NFL coach, Bill Belichick used to come to Bloomington to learn from Knight when he was with Bill Parcells staff...

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I grew up with Bobby Knight and Gene Keady. I never was an IU fan but Knight was right below God in our home. I miss those days......was happy to see Gene show up to honor Bobby, them 2 were fierce competitors. A lot of respect on both sides I imagine. And how about Dickie V.......grown man brought to tears over the love of basketball and a passion for the men who taught the game. He sure loves Bobby!

I guess I just thought Bobby looked like his health is declining, I know he is nearly 80. Guess I was just caught off guard.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    He used to be in charge of the library endowment, story goes. Supposedly the school wanted a new floor for assembly hall and were going to.borrow funds from library to do it but they needed donor approval. Knight told the donor to refuse as he did 't think the money would ever go back to the library

He did look rough. Cognitive issues maybe? Recently moved back to Bloomington I think. I hope I can lead a crowd in a chant at 79 though

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It was good to see Coach Knight back at Assembly Hall.
    Was sorry to see that his health seems to be going downhill.

Will never forget being a student at IU in the 1975-76 living in Wilkie South that year.
    We had the craziest times watching every game of that undefeated year, and by the time the NCAA final game was over, everybody was going NUTS!
    I remember it like yesterday.

Funny how as an immature kid student on campus, I used to think Bob Knight was the biggest pr*ck.
    YET as I got older and grew up myself, grew to appreciate the good he did for those kids he coached.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Almost all his players graduated (think 2 didnt and one went back to finish).
    I grew up in Brown County during the Knight heyday, lotsa stories about him.

As I recall Isaiah Thomas’s mom said that when Isaiah was being recruited by college coaches, most of them came in and offered Isaiah all kinds of bennies if he signed up with them. Bob Knight came in and told him if he didn’t go to class Knight would cut him from the team, so she said that’s the place you’re going to go.
    When Isaiah decided to leave IU early and go pro, his mom made him promise to finish his degree, which he did during the off season. I heard he was seen practicing in the HP ER building during summer school.

And I remember Landon Turner as well. He broke his back in a car accident which left him permanently paralyzed from the waist down. Knight gave him a position on the team as a trainer, and on Landon’s first day back he showed up with a mustache that he had grown while in rehabilitation. Knight didn’t say hello or welcome back just ‘shave that damn mustache off.’ KNight had a rule against facial hair for team members, and this was Knights’s way of telling him he was a full member of the team.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I was lucky to be there from 79-83 (Wright-Jenkins 3 years), so I got to enjoy the excitement of the 81 National Championship.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Love him or hate him. You can't dispute the man knew how to motivate. He really looked bad today....hope he is doing ok.

I was there when he chucked the chair across the court. Didn't comprehend at the moment the historic event I had just witnessed. Good times.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was there when he chucked the chair across the court. Didn't comprehend at the moment the historic event I had just witnessed. Good times.

I saw that too.

Do you remember the next game where the chair was chained with a padlock to the bench? ;)
    Many were chuckling about that!

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom