• ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I saw a meme the other day joking about eating penguin. Me and a friend had a conversation about this. A brief search didn't turn up much.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts...ind-of-dinner-bell-in-the-antarctic-22002918/

From the article...
    They taste like “a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce”—

So now we'd like to try it. I know INGO members have been around the world and done all kinds of things.

And for further discussion, what else "weird" have you eaten?

Here's the meme.

CqS5LT4.jpg

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Alligator and a scorpion is about as odd as I've eaten. Both tasted like rubbery chicken. Bet that penguin does too.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Not much for unusual meats- venison and rabbit are as far as I've gone.

But I've been learning about local foraging, which involves a lot of plants people don't know are edible, so: dandelion (fairly well known), redbud trees, plantain (not the banana, but the common lawn weed), white pine, daylillies.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Alfordsville
    [FONT=&quot]BAKED HAVARTI PENGUIN BREAST [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 4 boneless, skinless penguin breast halves [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- chili peppers, drained, and sliced lengthwise [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 4 ounces sliced Havarti cheese with dill [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Italian dressing [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Greek seasoning (optional) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 tablespoon butter [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Directions [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2) Marinate penguin in Italian Dressing and Greek Seasoning, if using, for a minimum of 30 minutes. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3) Place penguin in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with additional Greek seasoning, if desired, and bake in preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4) Shortly before penguin is done, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Pour in wine, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt, and bring to a boil. Stir in mushrooms. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt as needed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5) Remove penguin from the oven. Lay green chili slices on top of each breast, then top each chili with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven until cheese has melted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6)Remove penguin from the oven, top with mushrooms and their pan juices, and serve and enjoy![/FONT]

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They taste like “a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce”—

Seriously, this made you think, "Mmm, mmm, mmm! I gotta get me some a' that!"? :):

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    [FONT=&quot]BAKED HAVARTI PENGUIN BREAST [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 4 boneless, skinless penguin breast halves [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 2 (4 ounce) cans whole green [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- chili peppers, drained, and sliced lengthwise [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 4 ounces sliced Havarti cheese with dill [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Italian dressing [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- Greek seasoning (optional) [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 tablespoon butter [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 tablespoon white cooking wine [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Directions [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]2) Marinate penguin in Italian Dressing and Greek Seasoning, if using, for a minimum of 30 minutes. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]3) Place penguin in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Sprinkle top with additional Greek seasoning, if desired, and bake in preheated oven for approximately 25 minutes, or until no longer pink in center and juices run clear. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]4) Shortly before penguin is done, melt butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until bubbling. Pour in wine, Worcestershire sauce, and garlic salt, and bring to a boil. Stir in mushrooms. Reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until mushrooms are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning with salt as needed. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]5) Remove penguin from the oven. Lay green chili slices on top of each breast, then top each chili with a slice of cheese. Return to the oven until cheese has melted. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]6)Remove penguin from the oven, top with mushrooms and their pan juices, and serve and enjoy![/FONT]

I'm saving this. Thanks.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Seriously, this made you think, "Mmm, mmm, mmm! I gotta get me some a' that!"? :):
    Made me think of bad mistakes after consuming too much alcohol?

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It made me think of this from the description... But have at it BT--just be willing to enjoy the nastiness without sharing, huh?

[video=youtube;BD5ha9mENzw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5ha9mENzw[/video]

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not into nuns so I've never eaten penguin(s).

That recipe reminds me of one similar but you throw the penguin in the trash and eat the baking dish.

Top Bottom