• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I figured since we all live in Indiana this would be a good place to ask what everyone is using for Truck tires. I would like to get a good set of all terrains to replace my current set that has reached the end of their tread life. I will be running these year round so snow and rain performance matters to me. I’ve been browsing the KO2’s, Nitto G2’s and ridge grapplers, falken wildpeak AT3’s and the TOYO open country at2’s. I’m open to other brands as well but these seem to be the big ones everyone is choosing. Thanks for the input!

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I figured since we all live in Indiana this would be a good place to ask what everyone is using for Truck tires. I would like to get a good set of all terrains to replace my current set that has reached the end of their tread life. I will be running these year round so snow and rain performance matters to me. I’ve been browsing the KO2’s, Nitto G2’s and ridge grapplers, falken wildpeak AT3’s and the TOYO open country at2’s. I’m open to other brands as well but these seem to be the big ones everyone is choosing. Thanks for the input!

What size, load range, use etc.

Dmac22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2020
    COLUMBUS
    100% Falken Wildpeaks- I have had 2 sets back to back and have nothing but good things to say. I had a nightmare with BFG ATs and know a bunch of other that have too (in regards to balancing). I also have had some buddies regret their Nittos as well. All brands will have some bad tires now and again but from the forums I’m on, Falken has a great track record right now. And probably the most cost effective ad well.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I've ran Michelins on my pickups for the last 20+ years. However, I don't get off road very much so can't comment on off-road deep mud capabilities, but for rain and snow on paved roads, they have been awesome.
    --Rick

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    What size, load range, use etc.

I installed some leveling shocks so I should be able to get a 275/70/18 on the truck with no rubbing. Looking at the 10ply/load range E. I do haul and trailer occasionally so I would like the added confidence in the 10 ply tire. Some people say it’s overkill. Other than that I use the truck for everything from daily driving to a little fun off road every now and then.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    100% Falken Wildpeaks- I have had 2 sets back to back and have nothing but good things to say. I had a nightmare with BFG ATs and know a bunch of other that have too (in regards to balancing). I also have had some buddies regret their Nittos as well. All brands will have some bad tires now and again but from the forums I’m on, Falken has a great track record right now. And probably the most cost effective ad well.

These were actually at the top of my list. They seem to be the best option as far as price but I think are a relatively new tire and I don’t know anyone close to me with experience. The BFG’s have so many good reviews and even the first couple guys mentioned them on here but they also have their bad batches too I guess. But as far as price the falkens are the best priced.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I've ran Michelins on my pickups for the last 20+ years. However, I don't get off road very much so can't comment on off-road deep mud capabilities, but for rain and snow on paved roads, they have been awesome.
    --Rick

My only gripe with the Michelin’s is that I don’t see an aggressive tread pattern that is offered. I do like the looks of A/T tires. As far as my experience goes Michelin does offer an amazing tire. Got a set from Costco for the wife’s car and we’ve both had nothing but good things to say about them.

P.S- sorry for replying to everyone individually. I’m still trying to learn how to quote multiple posts in one quick reply.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I had the Falken Wildpeak AT3 on my last truck and was happy with them. My current has the Nitto Terregrapler G2 and much prefer them over the Falken. I think the Nittos grab the mud and snow a little better. Also the Falkens began to get a lot of road noise at about the time I got 10K on them. They were quiet until then but pretty quickly got noisy. Whichever you decide on shop online and find the absolute best price and take it with you to the shop. I always do that and make them price match. It always saves me quite a bit on money. I saved $31 a tire on my most recent set. Walmart usually comes in cheapest.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I had the Falken Wildpeak in 305/55 R20 on my 2014 Ram, and they were great. I now have the Mastercraft Courser in that same size on my '16 Ram and I am happy with them so far. They have less road noise than the Falkens did, and they have a 55k mile warranty, so I'm not unhappy about that. They perform very well in the rain, and what little snow we've had since I got them.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I had the Falken Wildpeak AT3 on my last truck and was happy with them. My current has the Nitto Terregrapler G2 and much prefer them over the Falken. I think the Nittos grab the mud and snow a little better. Also the Falkens began to get a lot of road noise at about the time I got 10K on them. They were quiet until then but pretty quickly got noisy. Whichever you decide on shop online and find the absolute best price and take it with you to the shop. I always do that and make them price match. It always saves me quite a bit on money. I saved $31 a tire on my most recent set. Walmart usually comes in cheapest.

I have the Duratracs now and they have been good to me except for the noise as they got older and now one is acting like its out of balance. My old truck had the gen 1 terra grapplers on there and I know the nittos did better in the rain so this got me looking at possibly going back to nitto. Then the Falkens started popping up and I've always heard good things about the BFG's which started a long night of comparisons to find the best one.

I think I'll end up at my local Belle Tire and they do price match so I'll take your advice and pull the prices from wal mart and amazon, they both usually have the best prices available.

Thanks for the input!

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I had the Falken Wildpeak in 305/55 R20 on my 2014 Ram, and they were great. I now have the Mastercraft Courser in that same size on my '16 Ram and I am happy with them so far. They have less road noise than the Falkens did, and they have a 55k mile warranty, so I'm not unhappy about that. They perform very well in the rain, and what little snow we've had since I got them.

I've been trying to find comparisons of these tires in regards to performance in rain so this helps, thanks! I know you can't have the best of everything but there seems to be some A/T's that do ride better in the rain and snow.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I installed some leveling shocks so I should be able to get a 275/70/18 on the truck with no rubbing. Looking at the 10ply/load range E. I do haul and trailer occasionally so I would like the added confidence in the 10 ply tire. Some people say it’s overkill. Other than that I use the truck for everything from daily driving to a little fun off road every now and then.

I ran 16 inch E rated Goodyear silent armor and just was not happy with the ride and the mileage, also had a couple that had to be swapped out due to balancing issues, no further balance issues after initial set up. Got 10k more miles out of the A/T Dueler Revo II and no balance issues.

If no off road then I would go Michelin...

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    The Mastercrart Courser is a very nice aggressive tire.I think they can be studded.Same compound as the other Cooper tires. I run the Discoverer A/T on both trucks.Walmart.com beat everyone by 75 bucks a set.Free rotation and rebalance every 6K. I am sold on Cooper.

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just a point, if your post is about typical LT C-D rated tires the input is moot in my opinion because E rated tires are their own animal. It is tough reading reviews as they are for all tire sizes and I would guess that E rated are a small minority of the reviews.

Just try try to talk to other truck owners with the same size a load rating you have to get better feedback...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you're primarily interested in on-road performance: https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/nitto-terra-grappler-at

I put these on my Ram last year and the improvement in wet weather traction was dramatic over the OEM tires. I used to frequently spin my rear tires a bit getting out of my neighborhood and on to the main road when raining. It's a small incline at the stop sign and when in 2wd and not much weight over the back tires it was easy to spin them. These don't spin unless I'm stupid with the gas. I've used BFGs in the past and like them as well, but these Nittos are quiet, ride well, and (as mentioned) do very well in the wet and cold.

Kevo9009

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Just a point, if your post is about typical LT C-D rated tires the input is moot in my opinion because E rated tires are their own animal. It is tough reading reviews as they are for all tire sizes and I would guess that E rated are a small minority of the reviews.

Just try try to talk to other truck owners with the same size a load rating you have to get better feedback...

Very good point. When I first started calling around to get quotes I was blown away by how everyone was so cheap compared to the online prices. Come to find out they were quoting me with the C-D tires so I had to specify E. I know most people don’t need E tires but I buy river rock by the cubic foot and some other projects that really tax the load rating so I like to know my tires shouldn’t be the first thing to go if something is going to go wrong.

Top Bottom