Versailles, IN 47042

www.in.gov/isp

FOR RELEASE: Upon Receipt

Sgt. Stephen Wheeles
    Public Information Officer
    (812)689-5000

February 12, 2020

Two Seymour Police Officers Arrested After Lengthy Investigation

Today, detectives from the Indiana State Police-Versailles Post arrested two officers with the Seymour Police Department on charges of official misconduct, ghost employment, and theft.

The investigation into the officers began in October 2019 when allegations of ghost employment were made against former Chief William Bill Abbott, and current Captain Carl Lamb. Detectives with the Indiana State Police-Versailles Post were requested to conduct the investigation.

During the four month investigation, detectives determined that Abbott was employed by Schneck Medical Center to schedule off duty officers to provide security at the hospital. The investigation indicated that he allegedly performed his duties for Schneck Medical Center while he was also working in his official capacity with the Seymour Police Department.

The investigation also determined that Lamb, while on duty as a member of the Seymour Police Department, allegedly worked outside employment for K4 Security out of Jeffersonville, Indiana. K4 Security had a contract to provide off duty police officers for work in the construction zone on I-65. Lamb coordinated and scheduled off duty Seymour Police Officers to work the security job while he was on duty with the Seymour Police Department. He was paid by K4 Security for those hours while also being paid by the Seymour Police Department.

Lamb also was a part-owner and employee of BSafe Tactical, Seymour, Indiana. BSafe provided training to area schools, churches, and businesses. The investigation determined that Lamb allegedly worked for BSafe Tactical and received payment while also on duty in his official capacity with the Seymour Police Department.

At the conclusion of the investigation, the case was turned over to a special prosecutor for review. This resulted in felony charges of Official Misconduct, Ghost Employment, and Theft charges being filed on Abbott and Lamb.

Both were taken into custody without incident and incarcerated at the Jackson County Jail.

Both Abbott and Lamb have remained on administrative leave from the Seymour Police Department during the investigation.

No further information will be released about the investigation at this time.

-30- SGT. STEPHEN WHEELES

Under the Law, criminal charges are merely accusations and the defendant is presumed innocent unless and until proven guilty.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...

User Info Menu

I just got that email. What kind of sentence would you get for those crime's?
    Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DadSmith View Post
    I just got that email. What kind of sentence would you get for those crime's?
    Elected to Congress or the Senate

User Info Menu

I'm still trying to figure out if what is described are really crimes.
    ​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

Expert

User Info Menu

That is harsh, loss of humanity and all...
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dprimm View Post
    Elected to Congress or the Senate
    Hah.
    45 acp takes a life, 10mm takes a soul. GOA & FPC Member.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by HoughMade View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out if what is described are really crimes.
    Doing paid work for a private employer while being paid by the government to do government work sounds like something that would be illegal. A form of theft?

ETA: Looks like the Indiana IG says it's a no-no ethically, but don't know if any criminal penalties attach: https://www.in.gov/ig/2341.htm
    Last edited by Alamo; 1 Week Ago at 16:14.

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

I wonder how many officers have side gigs that arguably cross over into their government work?
    Done, done, and Im on to the next one...

User Info Menu

Not the first time ISP lodged ghost employment and official misconduct charges: https://www.theindianalawyer.com/art...al-over-firing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alamo View Post
    Doing paid work for a private employer while being paid by the government to do government work sounds like something that would be illegal. A form of theft?

ETA: Looks like the Indiana IG says it's a no-no ethically, but don't know if any criminal penalties attach: https://www.in.gov/ig/2341.htm
    Did you see the "except" part in the statute?

Look at it this way- not every job is active all the time. I am not defending these guys and don't know what happened, but what if a guy was sitting in his patrol vehicle and took 10 minutes to write out a work schedule for the non-police employer? A crime? really?

I don't work for the government, but I used to teach in a law school. I frequently prepared for class while I was at the office during "work hours", but I don't get paid for the hours i am in the office, I get paid for the work I complete, so who cares?

I'm just saying that this doesn't seem like a huge issue. Maybe improper, but criminal? This smells like a local politics unit measuring contest to me.

​Bullies suck. They also make you stronger.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast