• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ... Me politely tell the walmart greeter to pound sand when she asked to scan my receipt.
    Greeter: Hello. Can I scan your receipt?
    Me: Deep contemplation... do I comply cuz the fam is with me, or do I set a good example and show them how to politely decline their unreasonable demand? (Nothing in the cart was expensive, bulky, etc. Just a full load of weekly groceries, everything properly bagged.)
    Greeter: I just need to scan one item.
    Me: Uhhhhh No thank you, I'm not even sure which bag I stuck the receipt in. I'll pass. Have a good evening though! *Gently takes control of the front of the cart because she was pushing and away we go*
    Unlike several other greeters in the past, she took it in stride and we parted ways.

We had a nice discussion as a family of 4th amendment related issues, innocent until proven guilty, why they are doing it, etc on the drive home. She was more receptive than I expected. ESPECIALLY since the mini monkeys were with me, I made extra sure I was not rude and as polite and pleasant as possible. She's just doing her job.

Just like Eichmann. :):

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    what would happen if u gave them a receipt from days before?? never happened to me yet, did they ask for the receipt from this visit??

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    what would happen if u gave them a receipt from days before?? never happened to me yet, did they ask for the receipt from this visit??

I'd get detained for a bit out of confusion because nothing in the cart would match the receipt.

They scan your receipt, then one suspect item to make sure you arent trying to sneak out with something mixed in you didnt pay for. That also flags the receipt/transaction in the loss prevention system as "merchandise already left the building". That prevents you from coming back, grabbing the same things off the shelf, and presenting the original receipt again to prove its yours. In that case they'd show you had already left with your stuff and whats in the cart isnt isnt the stuff you paid for.

On a related note, just one day I want to panic and bolt out the door for no reason when the Fry's guy demands to run his highlighter down my receipt to achieve the same goal and see what they do. :): I have to put up with that one because I'm on the clock shopping for my company and am representing them. (plus they are one of our customers, so I cant risk pissing them off)

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And for the record, if I'm walking out the store with a TV in my cart, or pushing a bike, no worries. Verify the receipt matches the item. Im OK with that. That is reasonable. But dont hassle me for a cartload full of bagged groceries.

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I never make eye contact with the greeters so if they say something, I just keep moving like I didn't hear it. I'm already a unpaid cashier and cart wrangler, just let me do my work in peace

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm just curious, why ok with it at a club, but not elsewhere?

EDIT: Because if I were to join, I would have signed a membership agreement, agreeing to the terms. "I bought my ticket..." (I am not a member, just hypothetically speaking)

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Because by joining, I have signed a membership agreement, agreeing to the terms. "I bought my ticket..."

hqdefault.jpg

So this isn't a case of their place their rules? Again, just trying to understand more than anything. I don't have much of an opinion, other than if you don't like how they conduct business don't go there is my usual stance on these things.

I don't believe anyone in private sector should be forced to do business with anyone else.

I go to Walmart so rarely I could not tell you if the one in proximity to me has started doing this or not and if they did, not sure if the purpose is to reduce "shrinkage" or they are testing some other system or what.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Same. If it was busy and I had to stand in line for it to be scanned, however, I'd just walk by and ignore the person doing it. I normally shop at about 3AM, so it's not an issue.

The two closest Walmarts to me aren't open 24 hours anymore, I guess because of a combination of low sales and criminals. Only open 6 a.m. to midnight. Same with Kroger.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So this isn't a case of their place their rules? Again, just trying to understand more than anything. I don't have much of an opinion, other than if you don't like how they conduct business don't go there is my usual stance on these things.

I don't believe anyone in private sector should be forced to do business with anyone else.

I go to Walmart so rarely I could not tell you if the one in proximity to me has started doing this or not and if they did, not sure if the purpose is to reduce "shrinkage" or they are testing some other system or what.

Kinda. But I didnt agree to it before entering. Now if they start being forceful, then I'm out. as long as I am able to go about my business and not opt into their request, I'll keep shopping there.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    No. If I want my receipt checked, I'll shop at a club.

ESPECIALLY when I'm 3 shoppers deep and just want to leave. My business is done with them. I'm leaving.

No kidding. The other day, it humored me to walk my full cart past a line of six people patiently waiting for the door greeter to scan their receipts.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    When they ask me, I just say No Thank You and keep walking. Hasn't been an issue yet. Also, I make it a point of saying hello to them by name on my way in. Maybe being polite works:dunno:

Bob

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I use "No, Thank You" keep walking. I've had the door alarms go off on me a few times when some hidden strip didn't get de-magnatized. I just looked straight ahead and kept walking. No one bothered me.

Top Bottom