• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I have a Dewalt cordless circular saw. I would like to purchase an additional battery for it. The battery is marked 60V 20V Max 6.0 AH. I see this battery available for sale but I also see two other batteries listed. 60V 20V Max 9.0 AH AND 60 V 20V MX 12AH.

Are the three batteries interchangeable ? The only difference seems to be the 6.0AH, 9.0AH, AND 12.0AH designation. What does AH stand for ? Does the 12.0AH last twice as long as the 6.0 AH battery all else being equal ( load, duration, etc ). I’m also thinking about buying Dewalts cordless router. I want the battery for the router to be interchangeable with the circular saw ( a 7 1/4” model ) battery. Their router number is DCS600.

Thanks in advance.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AH stands for Amp Hours - The bigger the number the longer the battery lasts.

and they are typically interchangeable.

my Ryobi one system has two sizes. The small one sucks and doesn’t last the entire yard in the string trimmer. The big one lasts forever in my drill, but makes it heavy as hell to use. Swap the between the two tools and it’s perfect.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    It may cost less to buy the cordless router that comes with a battery, than buying a “tool only“ router and getting a second battery separately. Might want to price it both ways.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    Do you have a 20 volt or 60 volt circ saw? The 20volt saw can use the “flex volt” battery is why I ask. But a 60 volt circ saw can NOT use a 20 volt battery.

deealt doesn’t make a 60 volt router so the router you are looking to buy is most likely 20 volt

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    DeWalt 20V cordless are my new go to toys. Recently acquired the 7" mitre saw as I don't do much sawing and wanted a lighter unit than my old 10" 110V for when I do.

Other than a longer run time when 6ah & 9ah 20 volt batteries are compared, will the larger battery provide more power initially while cutting?

Went to Amazon for xtra generic replacement batteries..only time will tell if I regret that decision, thus far I haven't.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    When staying with the same battery voltage, the ah ratings can be looked at like the size of a gas tank on a vehicle. The higher the ah, the more energy stored, and the longer the run time, etc.

The not-quite so intuitive thing is that this also impacts the ability of the battery to deliver current. This is both by the design of the individual cells in the pack, but also the batteries are made up of multiple "banks" of 5 cells. (5 batteries * 3.8 or 4 volts = 18 or 20 volts). A 6ah battery would mostly have 2 banks of 5, whereas the 9ah would have 3 banks. Since each bank can only provide a certain amount of current, having another bank in the pack allows the overall battery to provide higher peak current, and therefore more power to the tool.

There are lots of other factors in play in battery pack design, but I didn't want to write a (longer?) thesis to simply say "yes the larger battery can provide more power"
    --Rick

** referring to the original question about 60v/20v batteries, these simply have 3 separate 20v banks with fancy wiring, that can be connected in either series to give 60v out of the pack, or in parallel to give 20v out of the pack.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    One issue nobody has addressed is the higher AH battery is larger and heavier, and may affect the balance of the tool. Whether or not to get a larger battery? How long does it take, to
    recharge the original battery, and how much do you use the tool ?

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    When staying with the same battery voltage, the ah ratings can be looked at like the size of a gas tank on a vehicle. The higher the ah, the more energy stored, and the longer the run time, etc.

The not-quite so intuitive thing is that this also impacts the ability of the battery to deliver current. This is both by the design of the individual cells in the pack, but also the batteries are made up of multiple "banks" of 5 cells. (5 batteries * 3.8 or 4 volts = 18 or 20 volts). A 6ah battery would mostly have 2 banks of 5, whereas the 9ah would have 3 banks. Since each bank can only provide a certain amount of current, having another bank in the pack allows the overall battery to provide higher peak current, and therefore more power to the tool.

There are lots of other factors in play in battery pack design, but I didn't want to write a (longer?) thesis to simply say "yes the larger battery can provide more power"
    --Rick

** referring to the original question about 60v/20v batteries, these simply have 3 separate 20v banks with fancy wiring, that can be connected in either series to give 60v out of the pack, or in parallel to give 20v out of the pack.

THX

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    There are of course diminishing returns on this. If the lower ah pack can already satisfy the current demand then a larger ah pack isn't really going to provide any substantial gains other than run time.

Top Bottom