• ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Capture.jpg

Kinda sad about this. Took the family a few times and always enjoyed it.
    End of an era, and quite a financial blow to Monticello and White County.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trav...park-close-after-nearly-100-years/4801090002/

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    As soon as it was sold from the family it was the beginning of the end. Good times there. It was needed in Indiana. There’s still holiday world.....

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    As soon as it was sold from the family it was the beginning of the end. Good times there. It was needed in Indiana. There’s still holiday world.....

it is unfortunate that the family members who wanted to not sell couldn’t keep it. The younger generation didn’t want to run an amusement park. The business model they ran with works under certain conditions. It still works for knoebels in Pennsylvania. They don’t charge for parking, admission, for rides you can either buy coupons for individual rides or a ride band, and they still add modern rides. It is the Indiana beach without a lake. The only difference is they’re still family owned. Indiana beach died because the last owners (Morgan rv was the last owners) kept profit and didn’t fix things up and keep up the park. Then apex came in and had to fix things. That cost money and eventually they were running it like every single other park within four hours of there (five plus). When they quit general admission charge, they lost two potential customers on my end. I was going to go with my wife, daughter and my in laws. My in laws don’t ride most rides, in fact my father in law gets car sick if not driving or passenger front seat. I was willing to pay up to 15 a piece for them to get in just to help with my daughter Incase my wife and I wAnted to rude a ride ourselves. They not only got rid of general admission, they started charging forty dollars for regular admission. While if you went more then once, a season pass was worth it. Going once put it on par of pricing of holiday world and close to Kings island, six flags, cedar point, etc. No one who was going to pay that much to go in there would think it was worth it.

sadly even holiday world has changed in the last ten years. I have been going there for close to 15 years as an adult. Even back in the middle 2000’s, there was a name to the face of the ownership of the park. Will and pat Koch (son and mother), they were in all the commercials, they were around the park cleaning or running the rides, etc. When will died there was a fight over ownership, dan who was trying to run it like it used to lost the fight. He moved back to Miami temporary to be a lawyer again but ended up buying an amusement park In Birmingham Alabama. Pat is there with him and they run it as a family ran park. Pretty much the same as holiday in some terms (free parking, drinks, sun screen). It is expanding good now after years of neglect. Holiday worlds commercials remind me of a Corp park, I know very few people there now. Funny story about knowing people. One time my wife and I were there eating, I seen dan eating near me. Now dan and I were friends on Facebook but that was it, never met in person before that. He said to me, “like your Facebook picture you uploaded.” I was confused on which one, I thought maybe one related to the park. Nope, it was one from some range time. Turns out he likes to shoot also.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Used to go there a lot, but not in recent years. First date with my husband was there. Also spent a lot of time boating there and on Lake Freeman. I knew it was going downhill, and we didn't want to pay just to go walk around. It's really a shame, and I imagine a big loss for many.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I spent alot of time there as a kid up to my young adulthood. Being a half hour away it was the place to go after I could drive. The Disco was always fun, alot of coming of age memories there. My grandfather used to have cabins close for the seasonal people to rent. If any were empty my cousins and I would use it as a safe party pad. I used to take my kids there and I have very fond memories from there. Then a very good friend of mine lost his grandson on the roller coaster from being electrocuted. Then another young girl was injured on the same ride, thankfully not critically. After that I couldn't care less about the place. Sad too because I cant think of the place without thinking of those two kids. Hope something good is done with the property.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Actually pretty bummed. I've only been there twice since I moved back in 2014. Have to admit, i definitely saw this one coming... i will probably end up there after they close down to check out the skeletons..

I had no clue those were carp. My whole life i thought they were catfish!!!

Top Bottom