• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Backpacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Greenwood
    Where do you go to watch racing? My cousin's son races UMP modifieds at Brownstown among other tracks. Hoping to see some races this year. Maybe some dirt track action.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Use to watch racing locally at Broadway speedway and Illiana. Both have since closed so the closest tracks are an hour away. Plymouth speedway or Shady Hill.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not much for watching. But sure loved to be racing
    Our favorite "Grass Roots" facility was the Terre Haute action track at the fairgrounds. The1/8th mile drag strip was short shutdown white knuckles in a fast car. The dirt bull ring was walking from the pits at the drag strip. Set up Friday evening for test and tune. Sleep in the rigs. Up and at it on Saturday to race. You cooked breakfast and the smells were all through the pits.

If you were put out early you could walk over and catch some serious midget racing in the bull ring.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Our favorite "Grass Roots" facility was the Terre Haute action track at the fairgrounds. The1/8th mile drag strip was short shutdown white knuckles in a fast car. The dirt bull ring was walking from the pits at the drag strip. Set up Friday evening for test and tune. Sleep in the rigs. Up and at it on Saturday to race. You cooked breakfast and the smells were all through the pits.

If you were put out early you could walk over and catch some serious midget racing in the bull ring.
    Used to watch Bob Glidden test his Tbird there all the time. He’d lease out the whole place for the day. Cool watching a 1/4 Mile NHRA Pro Stock car getting shut down on a 1/8” mile track

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Oh, and that wasn’t midget racing per se, that was a girl from West Terre Haute trying to outrun her horny brothers.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Where do you go to watch racing? My cousin's son races UMP modifieds at Brownstown among other tracks. Hoping to see some races this year. Maybe some dirt track action.

Dad ran UMP’s at brownstown and Bloomington for years. I haven’t been to Bloomington since the ownership changed. When terre haute runs that’s a fun track to go to. Also, if you ever make it to Illinois, Danville has a awesome dirt track (or did, idk about now). I miss those days :(

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)

Churchmouse, We ran a Blown Alcohol Dragster in the Spitzer Race Cars Quick 32 Series. Every track but IRP was Short!
    Especially when you run 4.50 @ 162mph 1/8 mile times!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Churchmouse, We ran a Blown Alcohol Dragster in the Spitzer Race Cars Quick 32 Series. Every track but IRP was Short!
    Especially when you run 4.50 @ 162mph 1/8 mile times!

IRP is our home track. Ran the bracket series there for years. 6.0's in the Camaro 1/8th mile and man you have forever to slow down.

Yes I can not even imaging running mid 4's on some of those tracks. And those speeds.

We ran Brown County back when it was a quarter mile. Yow.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    IRP is our home track. Ran the bracket series there for years. 6.0's in the Camaro 1/8th mile and man you have forever to slow down.

Yes I can not even imaging running mid 4's on some of those tracks. And those speeds.

We ran Brown County back when it was a quarter mile. Yow.

Tere Haute, Cordova, Owensboro, Xenia, All Short! Risk Life and Limb for $1000.........

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Have you ever looked at the end of that short shut down.

Oh yeah. We raced there once...once. Back then rules were a bit different and had to weigh 3200lbs. Dad had one heck of a time getting the Tbird stopped. One pass the chute cable hung up and wouldn't let the chute out so he had to stand on the brakes to get stopped. Was bouncing I could hear it landing from the starting line. That day our class had 2 car blow out front tires trying to get stopped before the catch net.

Top Bottom