• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    The chromebook prices are too low to ignore, and I'm about at the time to upgrade,

I do a little word and excel, edit some websites with Expressions 4, I don't do any major photo editing and no gaming,

I have Highspeed at home and I have my own cloud drive so I don't need (or want) my files on my PC

Is there any reason that saving 2-300 $$$$ on a PC isn't a good Idea.

O and of course it has to do Ingo berry berry good,

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I went to a Chromebook last year and really like it for what I do. I do have concerns about privacy issues and the political leanings of Google of course, but it is what it is.

I don't use the MS Office stuff like Excel or Word because I don't want to pay for the Microsoft subscription, but if you do you can download the apps through the Android Play store.

My Chromebook in a 2-in-1 so it is the Hybrid that turns into a tablet. The fact that it has a touchscreen and stylus has ruined normal PCs for me. I'm always trying to use the screen to scroll on my work computer.

It turns on in about 7 seconds and it has never crashed or asked me to restart it.

As for INGO, it works the same as it would on any computer.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    The chromebook prices are too low to ignore, and I'm about at the time to upgrade,

I do a little word and excel, edit some websites with Expressions 4, I don't do any major photo editing and no gaming,

I have Highspeed at home and I have my own cloud drive so I don't need (or want) my files on my PC

Is there any reason that saving 2-300 $$$$ on a PC isn't a good Idea.

O and of course it has to do Ingo berry berry good,

There is a reason Chromebook is cheaper, Google is subsidizi the purchase to get deep data on your use. As MC says, do you want to sell you soul? Do you want Google the know every page view on Ingo you do?

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My son uses the newer Chrome Book and I can't see much difference in simple browsing between the two.
    At the price difference the Chrome book was a no brainer. We do use both but the Chrome book seems to get the bulk of the use these last 6 months.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Chromebooks are great for people who do EVERYTHING online. Online banking, Netflix and other streaming, general web browsing. They are also great for students who use Google Classroom for homework, since they can submit their homework online. They are also very secure against malware and viruses. You can get by with extremely low specs like Pentium processors and 2-4Gb RAM and still have a fairly fast machine. (I wouldn't run Windows 10 on anything less than Core i3 and 8Gb RAM)

However, they do have their limitations. They cannot be used with an optical drive, even a portable USB one. You will not be able to install software, other than what is found on the Google Play Store, and even then you aren't actually installing software, just apps. If you use Office products like Word and Excel, you will need to use the cloud based versions, since there is no way to install those programs on a Chromebook. As stated, Google doesn't do privacy. Also, you are limited to only being able to use what Apps are available on the Pay Store.

Think of a Chromebook as an Android tablet with a larger screen and a keyboard.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    A chromebook Is most comparable to an Android device that can multitask. The super cheap ones will suffer from performance issues as will any bargain basement laptop. Go mid tier cost if you plan to keep it a while. A pixel book with the core i5 will be blazing but you will pay for it as well.

If you are happy with the experience of a phone but want a larger screen and more multitasking support then a chromebook will be great for you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If you are concerned about Google privacy, check out Asus Android 2 in 1 tablets. Ive got a regular tablet I travel with so I dont have to do personal stuff on my work laptop. Sure beats lugging around another laptop for INGO, etc.

Now that I think about it, I think Asus only makes windows and chromebooks as 2 in 1s. But you can add a good bluetooth keyboard if you dont need a one piece clamshell to travel around easily. (regular use in libraries, coffee shops, etc)

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    After my mom's laptop died I talked her into a Chromebook.
    Shes been using the same one for a few years now. She absolutely loves it.

You'll have a bit of break in period where you'll need to get used to the difference. But in the long run you will save yourself a ton of headache.

zer0day

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2019
    Munster
    As others have said, it depends on what you want to do with it. I have and have had everything under the sun. My son has a chrome book for school. He's 7 and it's good for him since his tablet at home is android based. I prefer to rip/replace my ram, hdds, etc and load my own os. I'm currently using a Mac for python coding. A windows laptop for any field work I have to do and a Linux based laptop for perso al use at home.

If you're not fixed on brands then do some research on the hardware of the units in relation with the price. Processor comparisons and ram specs. Most chrome books have very similar processors and likely they are all made at the same factory. The nuts and bolts of it matter the most.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    +1 for a "real" laptop from me.
    Chromebooks are cheap and relatively quick if you're just browsing the web or using Google apps, but you're married to Google, its app store, and its privacy concerns.

A laptop lets you add and remove software or even replace the operating system. You're free to set it up with the level of privacy and security that you want, whatever that is.

Top Bottom