• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So I was reading this article, and took note of his arsenal. Looking at the inventory, omitting the pot plants, he looks like he might have been right at home here.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mcgruff-the-crime-dog-actor-gets-16-years-in-prison/

"...police seized 1,000 marijuana plants, 27 weapons – including a grenade launcher – and 9,000 rounds of ammunition from his home..."

But what gets me is the judge's impression of him. Was the judge sentencing him based on his actual danger, or just an ignorant perceived danger? No mention of any violent behavior in the case, just that he had lots of weapons. By that measure many of us are absolutely screwed if we are to be judged by this metric.

" Morales insisted during the sentencing hearing that he was nonviolent, but U.S. District Judge Vanessa Gilmore said, “Everything I read about you makes you seem like a scary person,” reports the station."

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    There's three scant paragraphs in that article, not nearly enough for me to make a conclusion.

May I see what the judge read?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    "9000 rounds of ammunition"

That's just a couple boxes of .22's. Lol
    I have nowhere near the collection as some members here...I'm probably on the same level of "scary" as the guy in the story - minus the plants and grenade launcher.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I guess it depends on what the judge had read about him. We don't know if she based her "scary person" impression just on the fact that he had the weapons or if there were other behaviors that he exhibited that weren't mentioned in the article. Hard to form an opinion just going by the minimal information provided. If it was solely based on the number of guns and the ammo, then I'm freaking terrifying. :):

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This song is just too cool to not post.

[video=youtube_share;JpQwLC9hyeA]http://youtu.be/JpQwLC9hyeA[/video]

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    To some people, if you own one firearm you are scary and a danger to the universe.

Like a couple of others here, I read the story and asked - Only 27 weapons? Some consider knives to be a weapon. I have more than that in my kitchen silverware drawer. And if you consider the weapons in the story to be firearms, except for the mentioned "grenade launcher" only 26 firearms? Nice start of a collection.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Was the grenade launcher an NFA item or was it one of those gimmick things you can get?

I would think it was not a true working launcher or the feds would have stepped in and handled this.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Was the grenade launcher an NFA item or was it one of those gimmick things you can get?

I would think it was not a true working launcher or the feds would have stepped in and handled this.

My guess is that it was one of those tennis ball launchers that they make for your AR.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Forgive me, I am going to try some of that fancy legal talk. Don't yell at me if I get it wrong.

Isn't the mere possession of that many guns and that much ammo prima facie evidence that your stuff needs to be confiscated while we have time to check you out.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Just like face tattoos are evidence of prior poor judgement, 1000 pot plants in your home will cause people to doubt your decision making capabilities. Go to jail.
    Dumb ass.

What about 1 pot plant? Will 1 cause people to doubt [strike]my[/strike] your decision making capabilities?

ETA: I have 0 pot plants.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What about 1 pot plant? Will 1 cause people to doubt [strike]my[/strike] your decision making capabilities?

ETA: I have 0 pot plants.

Yes. 1 is going to qualify you for decision making disability. If you have a medical need and live somewhere it's legal to grow your own, go for it. I'm still prolly gonna offer the job to the guy who passes the drug test.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    Something I find scary is- Bullets aren't illegal, last time I checked. But police use our tax dollars, confiscating them, and cataloging them.

Now, 27 "weapons"(how did they make the determination that these firearms were intended to kill, or had killed anyone?) and 9000 rounds,
    9000 divided by 27 =334 rounds, per firearm. Guy sounds like a casual collector, who's relatively unprepared, to me.

But the unconstitutional seizure of ammunition always goes ignored.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    That happened in, what, 2011?

Sure, he's got a prior for building a bomb. Sure he's got a prior for manufacturing his own NFA items. Just a run of the mill non-violent drug dealer. Gun owners are always good guys and the government is always evil.

Something I find scary is- Bullets aren't illegal, last time I checked. But police use our tax dollars, confiscating them, and cataloging them.

They are when you're a felon. See his priors.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That happened in, what, 2011?

Sure, he's got a prior for building a bomb. Sure he's got a prior for manufacturing his own NFA items. Just a run of the mill non-violent drug dealer. Gun owners are always good guys and the government is always evil.

They are when you're a felon. See his priors.

Love how the article didnt mention any priors. That changes things a wee bit.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Meh. Building bombs and NFA weapons shouldn't be crimes in themselves. The fact that they are changes nothing.

Top Bottom