Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

User Info Menu

I could be wrong.
    But..
    They can trim.
    But coming back every couple years costs them a lot of money.
    So, they make offers to take the tree out.
    That they can't do without permission.
    Trim yes.
    Remove no.

But, with your permission, they spend a little more up front, but in the long run save.

My 2 cents.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast;
    for I intend to go in harm's way.
    John Paul Jones

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Master

User Info Menu

The poopy heads that showed up to our house did a horrible job. They are from Alabama. They need to go back. Fargin corksuckers.
    Going to hell to regroup

I am Asher's son.

There is a bit of science in silence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PGRChaplain View Post
    I&M is trimming trees in Fort Wayne and Allen County right now. I talked to their arborist several months ago when he came around to Mark the trees they were taking down. I asked if I could some way keep some of the ones that he marked. He replied no, their in the utility easement. My neighbor has a tree he really wanted them to cut down, they wouldn't because it's not in the utility easement.
    I may have told this story but... I have a fairly long driveway where the REMC OH lines run. A few years ago, they were clearing ROW and were starting down my drive. I had this old, dead ash tree right on the property line. It had HUGE branches coming off the trunk, some of which I was afraid would eventually fall off and crush my metal carport. I worked out a deal with the tree guys. I told them if theyd simply drop those branches (on the ground, not on my building), Id dispose of all the limbs they were removing along the ROW along my drive. Im not sure who got the best of that deal because my ROW was really, really cleared after they agreed to it.
    INGOer #18,319

User Info Menu

Huge Sycamore trees are almost literally a problem waiting to happen. It's soft wood when it's in good shape. And the larger/older a Sycamore is - the higher the liklihood that it's hollowing out / rotting away from the inside. Such is the way with Sycamore trees (And maple varieties, too)

So - if that Sycamore could impact the lines - it honestly may very well behoove all parties to look at the situation academically. An ounce of prevention vs. a pound of cure and all that.

Expert

User Info Menu

They cut down my Ash tree (it was HUGE) even though it was PERFECTLY HEALTHY. They said that it would EVENTUALLY get ash borers in it, and ALL ash trees have to come down, so they cut it down WITHOUT ASKING OR NOTICE. They left a MESS too, simply cutting it into a few large pieces once they felled it into my yard.
    With so many places beating dicks I think it's gonna hurt dicks bad.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Leadeye View Post
    Local REMC asks here as well. Last year they came through and after asking I marked the dead ash trees all within power line range and they cut them down. Since the county road is forested we still have interruptions form live trees and branches, I guess they figure if they don't trim your trees you'll just have to live with the interruptions. We have a generator, so it's not a big deal.
    You may have a generator, but it's the most expensive electricity that you pay for.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tactically Fat View Post
    Huge Sycamore trees are almost literally a problem waiting to happen. It's soft wood when it's in good shape. And the larger/older a Sycamore is - the higher the liklihood that it's hollowing out / rotting away from the inside. Such is the way with Sycamore trees (And maple varieties, too)

So - if that Sycamore could impact the lines - it honestly may very well behoove all parties to look at the situation academically. An ounce of prevention vs. a pound of cure and all that.
    This! And if the above are not enough reasons to want to get rid of the tree, then the really nasty pollen they produce should be. IMO, when someone offers to remove a sycamore on your property free of charge the proper response involves as least one manly hug and a free six pack. If they agree to treat the stump with a strong herbicide as well, then a sloppy kiss or two is probably warranted.

Expert

User Info Menu

Seems fitting to the topic of the thread...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hkindiana View Post
    They cut down my Ash tree (it was HUGE) even though it was PERFECTLY HEALTHY. They said that it would EVENTUALLY get ash borers in it, and ALL ash trees have to come down, so they cut it down WITHOUT ASKING OR NOTICE. They left a MESS too, simply cutting it into a few large pieces once they felled it into my yard.
    Do you live in a area that has been infected with the Emerald Ash Borer?

Over the last couple pf years Duke has been on a really active preventative maintenance cycle in my subdivision. Last spring they hit the tree line in my easement along my back property line. I got a knock on the door asking for written permission to take down 1 tree and a trunk of another that had "y"'d about 4 foot up. First think I asked was how much debris is going to be left. He replied "none" Duke is requiring us to remove and chip shread all branches under 6 inches and no debris is to be left except large trunks and they will be cut into 16-18 inch lengths and stacked. Ended up having have extra tree taken down, a 2 foot diameter Chinese Elm that had what looked like a woodpecker had bored into it about 15 feet up that I never noticed, and somehow rotted and was hollowed down to the 1 foot mark with a exit hole about 4 inches round. Never seen anything like it.

But when they left, the easement was pristine except lone rut about 10 foot long 4 inches deep, they came back the nest week, filled it level and seeded.

If I would have been you, I would have lit up their call center daily until the mess was cleaned up, they created it, they're responsible for it. I'd send them a bill for your time.

Straight off of Duke Energy's page:

"The majority of our pruning and cutting occurs during planned maintenance. In maintained or landscape settings, our policy is to dispose of any small limbs and brush. The larger pieces of wood are cut, but not necessarily in firewood lengths. In non-landscaped sites, pruned vegetation and wood are left in place to biodegrade.

When an act of God (such as lightning, ice storms, high winds, hurricanes, tornadoes) or other natural events cause trees or other vegetation to fall across power lines and damage facilities, we cut the trees and brush so poles and lines can be replaced and re-energized. Disposal of any wood, limbs or debris resulting from this type of emergency operation is the responsibility of the property owner."

https://www.duke-energy.com/communit...hts-of-way/faq
    Don't be that Richard, nobody likes a smart ass Richard, there's way more than we need here.

Trump reaffirms my decision everyday voting for him as President and my
    reason for voting for him again in 2020.

Member#630, geez I've been here a while.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I had a huge dead ash tree that stood at an angle and was clearly going to eventually smash their pole and line on my property. I called and tried to get them to cut it down and they wouldn't. They said it was my problem.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast