• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Backstory... there will be a local school board meeting on 3/9/20 and I have heard whispers that there will be some important topics brought up that are not on the agenda.

One topic will be regarding the library and the choice of literature that they are offering for our kids. The English teacher recently assigned a required reading project and had a list of books to choose from. The choices that he offered clearly set an agenda. Many books with an LGBT agenda. Books painting religion as foolish and religious mentors as pedophiles. The kids were told to report on their reading by bringing in a prop that represented the topic of the book. One kid brought in a Bible to represent the book that he read, and the teacher apparently gave him a verbal lashing.

The community that we live in is very conservative, and the school used to reflect the values of the community. However, lately there has been a distinct change in the focus of the school as a whole, pushing clearly liberal agendas. I have seen a dramatic increase in LGBT focus at the school lately. Conservative/religious student led groups being shut down. Many parents are upset. Many intend on turning out to the board meeting to voice their frustration.

I'm conservative and very religious. I have taught my kids our values. I'm not worried about them somehow being brainwashed to believe this liberal BS. I have taught them that there are others who don't share our values, and that's fine. The problem with this agenda is that it forces the kids to not only accept the liberal values, but tries to make them feel guilty about believing anything different. I have a big problem with that. Believe what you believe - even if its different from me. But don't force me or my kids to share your values or face discrimination.

I want to be articulate and bring a well thought out argument to the board meeting. Thoughts?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Backstory... there will be a local school board meeting on 3/9/20 and I have heard whispers that there will be some important topics brought up that are not on the agenda.

One topic will be regarding the library and the choice of literature that they are offering for our kids. The English teacher recently assigned a required reading project and had a list of books to choose from. The choices that he offered clearly set an agenda. Many books with an LGBT agenda. Books painting religion as foolish and religious mentors as pedophiles. The kids were told to report on their reading by bringing in a prop that represented the topic of the book. One kid brought in a Bible to represent the book that he read, and the teacher apparently gave him a verbal lashing.

The community that we live in is very conservative, and the school used to reflect the values of the community. However, lately there has been a distinct change in the focus of the school as a whole, pushing clearly liberal agendas. I have seen a dramatic increase in LGBT focus at the school lately. Conservative/religious student led groups being shut down. Many parents are upset. Many intend on turning out to the board meeting to voice their frustration.

I'm conservative and very religious. I have taught my kids our values. I'm not worried about them somehow being brainwashed to believe this liberal BS. I have taught them that there are others who don't share our values, and that's fine. The problem with this agenda is that it forces the kids to not only accept the liberal values, but tries to make them feel guilty about believing anything different. I have a big problem with that. Believe what you believe - even if its different from me. But don't force me or my kids to share your values or face discrimination.

I want to be articulate and bring a well thought out argument to the board meeting. Thoughts?

School boards are very local. It is of vital importance that decision-making stays at that level. From curriculum to arming staff members, the local level of the school board is where the decisions must be made.

Go, speak your piece, state the truth. Be better prepared and bring the message better than Godless heathens who must have power to push their agenda. If that fails, vote out the sheep. Be prepared to run for the school board, have a plan and a back-up plan.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I think what you posted in your OP is pretty well thought and articulate. I'd start with that. Just like you laid it out.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You should speak with your friends of like mind. Take everyone that will go with you. Numbers matter to school boards, individuals not so much.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You should speak with your friends of like mind. Take everyone that will go with you. Numbers matter to school boards, individuals not so much.

This is a good point. One religious nut dad “spewing his bible babble” is one thing and easy to dismiss and ignore. A bunch of concerned citizens representing that point of view...not so much.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    "they" have infiltrated the public school system. Unless you can literally rally a mob that will vote in new conservative board members, you're screwed. They wont listen to you; they are enlightened and they just know better than you, you silly, backwoods conservative rube. You are silly enough to believe in a magic man in the clouds, and that is just not logical. So they are doing what is right and saving your poor child from you. (note the lack of purple. They are serious)

So unless you can rally enough like minded folks to scare the cops into locking down the building, you wont change anything. And as seen by the events in Virginia, even THAT doesnt scare the liberals into backing down; they'll push their agenda and then sick the cops on you when you disagree with their votes.

And at that point, the only fix will be to get the board replaced with conservative members who are willing to reverse this agenda. So not very likely unless you are VERY good at organizing a revolution.

The easy way out believe it or not is to pull your kids and either put them in Parochial school, or home school them. If you have any homeschooling questions dont hesitate to PM me. Its easier than you think. There are actually quite a few INGOers that homeschool.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My family does home schooling for a wide variety of reasons, primarily we don't have any faith in the government education system to get these kids ready for the world. We fit the profile though, Christian, conservative, married for life, and we know the difference between the two genders. Homeschool kids have no shortage of social opportunities, scouting, sports, dancing, competitive singing, and almost weekly field trips. As you know, we use Co-Ops (groups of homeschoolers) and they go every where from the symphony to the Motor Speedway. Home school rocks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "they" have infiltrated the public school system. Unless you can literally rally a mob that will vote in new conservative board members, you're screwed. They wont listen to you; they are enlightened and they just know better than you, you silly, backwoods conservative rube. You are silly enough to believe in a magic man in the clouds, and that is just not logical. So they are doing what is right and saving your poor child from you. (note the lack of purple. They are serious)

So unless you can rally enough like minded folks to scare the cops into locking down the building, you wont change anything. And as seen by the events in Virginia, even THAT doesnt scare the liberals into backing down; they'll push their agenda and then sick the cops on you when you disagree with their votes.

And at that point, the only fix will be to get the board replaced with conservative members who are willing to reverse this agenda. So not very likely unless you are VERY good at organizing a revolution.

The easy way out believe it or not is to pull your kids and either put them in Parochial school, or home school them. If you have any homeschooling questions dont hesitate to PM me. Its easier than you think. There are actually quite a few INGOers that homeschool.

This highlights a problem I see. (And I’m as guilty as the next guy). Most of us conservative/libertarian oriented types want to be left alone and leave others alone. We want to raise our kids, run our businesses, and generally pursue our own happiness. But there are a great many who aren’t satisfied with that. They want to fix societies ills. They have all kinds of ideas that if only they could pass a new law, ordinance, or regulation they could move ever closer to creating that utopia they believe is to be had on this earth.

Then there’s the church. Despite what some would say about it wanting to ram its morality down everyone’s throats, I contend it has abandoned the field when it comes to politics. It has largely become indistinguishable from the society in which it lives.

Until “we” decide to participate...and I’m not talking about passing reactionary 2A sanctuary things, it’s only going one direction.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    A few years back a 100ish other "gray hairs" and I successfully held off the school board's attempt to **** away a crazy amount of money to build an unnecessary new high school in a flood plane. The school board meetings at the time were not about whether to build, but which architectural design to use. :n00b:

Never forget one arrogant school board member standing up and telling the standing room only crowd that "You small group of people aren't gonna stop this from happening!"

Right :rolleyes:, years later the "old" school is still doing fine.

Wish we had not let them sneak in the foolish purchase of the flood plane property, before we got on to them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom