• Status
    Not open for further replies.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    For years I've wanted to get into buying stocks on my own. Nothing big, just maybe another avenue to get into and learn about something I don't know much about. Now there are plenty of ways to get into it like the Robinhood app and many others where there are no fees to trade.

The markets been pretty sweet for a bit while and it seems the media now is freaking everyone out about this virus and the stock market is responding. I think it'll blow over relatively soon once everyone calms down. What are some companies you like and why? I personally like dividend stocks. Got the Robinhood app and am just reading anything and everything and finding ways to try and get solid information.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not ****ing panicking is what I’m doing. Unless you have disposable income, no family or commitment, and ice in your veins, the stock market is a Marathon , not a sprint.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just talked to my uncle about this this afternoon.
    He has played in the stock market for a couple o decades and did pretty well for himself.
    He got out (mostly) about two years ago because he said it was over-valued and due for a correction.

He was right, again.
    He told me today that he thinks this market will drop more, but if one wanted to get in today, he suggested investing only about 10-20% of what you want to invest in total.
    Wait a couple of weeks, or maybe a month, and invest another 10-20%...

He said the market dropped almost 60% in 2008 during the housing bubble, and although he doesn't necessarily see it going that low right now, he does see it going lower.
    After the correction of the last few days, I wish I had some disposable income right now.

I heard on the radio that Apple is buying back their own stock, because it is so low right now.
    My uncle said a lot of corporations are doing this because they offer new hires slightly less income, but give them stock options to make up the difference.
    They buy it low to give to new hires, so they are not out as much.

My thoughts, and I'm not in the market...
    Coca Cola stock is down right now, but general consensus says it will rise again.
    Same with Apple.
    Clorox stock is SOARING right now. Probably NOT the time to buy, too high.
    Stock in respirator masks is also very VERY high. I wouldn't buy that right now either.

As I said, I'm not in the market, so take this free advice for what it's worth...

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Scraping everything I can find to invest now. Bought DUSL and SPXL today at 2pm. Yay. Triple leveraged bull ETFs
    ^ this
    Buy buy buy !!!!!
    NOW!!

And not all of the market is a long haul investment. There are fast returns but the faster and larger the return, the higher the risk to your investment.
    Learn what you are doing before you hand over your money to anyone.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You're uncle is not "right".
    This is not a correction. This is a panic. The markets are reflecting panicked investors that don't have the balls to play the market.
    I do and I'm taking advantage of their mistakes and buying now. And I'll keep buying.

If you invest right now I bet you will have one of the most successful years you'll ever see.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    And I agree with the others, this isn’t a correction, it’s panic. Walmart shelves are gonna be empty in two weeks, we’re gonna run out of OTC meds, OMG the sky is falling?! I am sad that I don’t have the extra income to take into the market right now, as one could really clean up in the sprint.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I lost s lot of money on paper this week. too late to get out now. So I will just ride it out. I have some taken out of each pay and it is split over several mutual funds. No change in that.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Maybe we will create some more U.S. manufacturing jobs out of all of this.
    For one I think its imperative to our National Security to start manufacturing more drugs here and not relying on China.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Maybe we will create some more U.S. manufacturing jobs out of all of this.
    For one I think its imperative to our National Security to start manufacturing more drugs here and not relying on China.
    OMG you’re one of THEM! Our reliance on China has near crippled our actual National Security, NOTHING that goes into our Warfighters’ tool box should be made anywhere but here, or our closest allies, as well as our National Security apparatus. EVERYTHING purchased for government/National Security use should be some type of Berry compliant.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    anigif_enhanced-11619-1440425973-2.gif

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    OMG you’re one of THEM! Our reliance on China has near crippled our actual National Security, NOTHING that goes into our Warfighters’ tool box should be made anywhere but here, or our closest allies, as well as our National Security apparatus. EVERYTHING purchased for government/National Security use should be some type of Berry compliant.
    For sure

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom