• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should Indiana Bars Sell Alcohol At Reduced Prices During Specific Times Of Day?

• Total voters

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Indiana made the selling of alcohol based on time of day illegal decades ago, otherwise called happy hour. It is shocking to new residents and visitors of our state that is the case.

As a boy I recall the local media covering the issue when they passed it, video of a bar with a guy sitting with 8 old fashioneds because he bought 4 buy one get one free just before happy hour ended to last the evening. The proponents of illegal happy hour said it promoted buying more before the price went up and folks drinking more. So the state passed the law that did not allow alcohol specials based on certain times of day.

I personally like the law. It does not stop a bar from offering a Monday beer special, Tuesday well drink special, just that all alcohol specials must be offered all day. Bars are still allowed to offer food at happy hour prices if they wish and many do. I have always believed that I came out ahead as the consumer when specials were available all day.

I noticed on a freedom list from Cato they cite that as a freedom restriction they viewed negatively. I never thought it that big a deal.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    BTW, for those that may not have known this, many restaurants and bars will play dumb and hide drink special menus after certain times to try to minimize the sales at dinner time.

We also get an advantage as many corporate owned have drink specials for the chain for happy hour and we get the same special all day here.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Keep GOV out of business! If a private business wants happy hour, they should be able to do so.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Having been a veteran of Happy Hour before it was banished, I think it's a good idea to make the specials all day. I used to do exactly like the guy in Ingomike's example. Probably not a good idea to slam 8 drinks in half an hour or so then get in the car and drive.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I know some places in other states that have happy hour that limit you to ordering 2 at a time, and not being allowed to order more unless those drinks are gone. could be a compromise to appease everyone.

But less gov't would be better. I think there are already penalties for over-serving someone. So it'd be in the businesses best interest to limit it anyway. :dunno:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I remember being a student at IU Bloomington in the 1970's.
    There was a little bar on 3rd street, just across from campus and just west of Bear's Place, if memory serves "The Hop?"

They had Happy Hour starting at 4pm for 2-3 hours where one could pay a few bucks for a plastic throwaway beer cup.
    THEN there'd be big football player looking guys who had a pitcher in each hand, walking around the room filling any cup that wasn't full as fast as we could down 'em.

We were just barely of drinking age, and we had a blast pounding beers as fast as they'd pour it in our cups! ;)
    We had a lot of fun and luckily never got in any trouble.

GIVE US HAPPY HOUR!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Keep GOV out of business! If a private business wants happy hour, they should be able to do so.
    Exactly.
    Do that many people really need a mommy (govt) to tell them how to act and behave and live life? I believe in natural selection and that we need to let stupid people die off not help them live longer to screw all of us.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The argument is that selling drinks based on time of day promotes binge drinking. Isn't that a safety regulation?
    The argument is specious, just like all the rest.

Selling alcohol in 1.75L bottles promotes binge drinking.
    A waitress asking you if "you're ready for another" promotes binge drinking.
    Bud light commercials promotes binge drinking.
    Trivia promotes binge drinking.
    Timed beer & wine festivals promotes binge drinking.
    Sunday sales promotes binge drinking.

The story about a guy with eight old fashions is anecdotal; and I don't like laws based on anecdotal evidence.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Bacon is good in a Bloody Mary.

Sorry. We're out.

We're out of tomato juice, Worcester sauce, celery, ice....

The best I can do:
    vdv0fs1tyb811.jpg

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is interesting, never thought to would go this way. I am philosophically opposed to the law, libertarian leanings, while enjoying the benefit personally. The typical 8-5er gets the deal while folks that work later or a different shift do not get to enjoy. I like getting the drink specials when I want them...

Top Bottom