• d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    So contract was up with Dish and they didn't wanna work with me on price so I decided to switch to comcast. I already have internet thru them and by consolidating I'm able to save some cash while getting faster internet at that same time.

So I decided on the self install to save myself $70 install fee. I figure it cant be to hard

So I go to local comcast store and get 3 boxes and install kit.
    Line for comcast comes into basement so I figure all I have to do is split It where service comes in and run one cable to my modem(for internet service)and then other to my tv. Split again from that cable to the 2 tvs for upstairs. When I went to do tv setup everything went like it should as far as I know. Downloaded content, asked for the last 4 of my account, etc. At what I would think was the end of download/tv setup, all I get is a blank screen. No audio. No video. Nothing. I call tech support and they have me do all kinds of crap to no avail. Try different HDMI inputs, cables, reboot, etc. Nothing changes. They say I have good signal to the box so must be my tv or something and want to send a tech out for a charge of course.

(FYI) I tried to do setup with just the main box hooked up to eliminate the other 2 boxes and cable run from the equation. Same results Also my internet has worked fine thru all of this as well. Never a disruption there

Not sure what could be wrong on my end as it did initial upload and could see that on the screen. I know it's not cable/tv input, etc related because I have since reconnected my Dish and all works fine.

Anyone have an idea what I could be doing wrong?

Anyone In NWI have any experience with installing cable willing to help out. Not talking for free of course. Was just hoping to get this fixed within a day or so

Any input would be great.

Sorry for the long read, just trying to put out as much info as I could think of

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And the official protocol from Commiecast: Split it once from the curb; one leg to the modem, the other to the TVs.
    Split that TV leg multiple times and home run to each TV. Dont go to the first TV and split, take 2nd leg to the next TV and split, take the 2nd leg to the next, tv, etc.

Plug a set top box into the modem's feed. See if it works there. COuld be a bad feed to the first TV.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh, and what happens when you do a speed test from a WIRED PC (wireless may slow you down) are you getting the full speed as advertised from your modem?

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Maybe some type of HDMI incompatibility between the box and your tv? Did you try connecting the component inputs between the box and tv to see if those work?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    And the official protocol from Commiecast: Split it once from the curb; one leg to the modem, the other to the TVs.
    Split that TV leg multiple times and home run to each TV. Dont go to the first TV and split, take 2nd leg to the next TV and split, take the 2nd leg to the next, tv, etc.

Plug a set top box into the modem's feed. See if it works there. COuld be a bad feed to the first TV.

This is how I ran it to just hook 1 tv up to start (Top drawing)
    This is how I intended to run for all 3 tvs (bottom drawing)

Only use internet for our phones and my daughters chromebook
    No actual computer hooked up at all.

No idea on how to run internet speed test but not sure why that would affect the tv service. Maybe I should see if it works with no run to modem?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Maybe some type of HDMI incompatibility between the box and your tv? Did you try connecting the component inputs between the box and tv to see if those work?

Not sure I'm following. I'm using hdmi cable to connect from box to tv. The input source is correct and I've tried 2 separate cables and 2 different HDMI inputs on tv
    The same inputs work fine with dish network receiver. I've since reconnected that so I have tv for now

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This is how I ran it to just hook 1 tv up to start (Top drawing)
    This is how I intended to run for all 3 tvs (bottom drawing)

Only use internet for our phones and my daughters chromebook
    No actual computer hooked up at all.

No idea on how to run internet speed test but not sure why that would affect the tv service. Maybe I should see if it works with no run to modem?

wont hurt.

To run a speed test try
    https://www.speedtest.net/

If you get HORRID speed (less than 25mb/sec its probable the modem. If it maxes out above 25mb it is probably the wifi of the device hitting its limit.)

IF you are getting signal from the satellite box and bupkis from the commiecast box, it sounds like the commiecast box is toast.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    wont hurt.

To run a speed test try
    https://www.speedtest.net/

If you get HORRID speed (less than 25mb/sec its probable the modem. If it maxes out above 25mb it is probably the wifi of the device hitting its limit.)

IF you are getting signal from the satellite box and bupkis from the commiecast box, it sounds like the commiecast box is toast.

My thoughts were the box is having an issue. I get the welcome getting on the tv and the first time I tried I got the programming box screen and then enter my last 4 of phone number which is suppose to be the end of programming. But then I get nothing, just the blank screen. The modem is pretty decent at least I thought. I'd have to check specs on it. I have had it for 2 year. The cable boxes are brand new from Comcast today. That doesn't mean it doesn't have the Cvirus..lol.
    The modem has always been fine. The only thing that's changed with internet service is I had 25mbs service and now its 100mbs. Could that be an issue? I'll see if I can find specs on my current modem in the meantime

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    I’m just wondering if there’s something amiss between the Comcast hdmi outputs and your tv’s inputs. Since most boxes and tvs also have component outputs and inputs (3 separate cables), I was wondering if you’d tried that to see if you got a picture that way. If not, maybe the Comcast box itself is kaput.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Other thing too is the dish box is not connected to same cable setup as the modem as the modem has always been comcast. The Dish is direct to the TVs

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I’m just wondering if there’s something amiss between the Comcast hdmi outputs and your tv’s inputs. Since most boxes and tvs also have component outputs and inputs (3 separate cables), I was wondering if you’d tried that to see if you got a picture that way. If not, maybe the Comcast box itself is kaput.

The Same HDMI 1 works fine with dish. And even tried switching it to hdmi4(easy access)

I do get picture when I try to initiate the comcast box. It tells me Welcome on the screen and during first setup gave me the screen showing it was downloading my channel package and whatnot

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Looked up my modem specs and its supposed to be good to 342mbs. It's a Motorola model MB7220

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    CM. Did the speed test and it's right about 54mbs Did this test from my phone fyi

That speed exactly is a wifi limit. (802.11n? on 2.4ghz) your modem signal is is good enough. Cant tell anything more without a wired ethernet speed test.

It sounds like its an issue with the comcast STB. If you take the box (and TV) and plug it in to the cable where the modem is plugged in (disconnect the modem and use that known good cable) and it doesnt work, its the box. If it works there, its your cable to the tv.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    That speed exactly is a wifi limit. (802.11n? on 2.4ghz) your modem signal is is good enough. Cant tell anything more without a wired ethernet speed test.

It sounds like its an issue with the comcast STB. If you take the box (and TV) and plug it in to the cable where the modem is plugged in (disconnect the modem and use that known good cable) and it doesnt work, its the box. If it works there, its your cable to the tv.

Almost has to be the box then as the cable that I'm using, running to TV, works fine when I transferred it back to dish. While chatting with you guys I even tried a separate run of brand new cable directly from outside Comcast line with no splitter (nothing going to modem) and same problem

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Sounds like you shoulda paid the $70 instead of going cheap.

The cable for comcast is already run into the house so that's not an issue. Everything was purchased directly thru comcast and they tell you that self install is fine. Basically the only supposed reason you'd need a tech is if comcast was never at the home prior and they need to run the wire from pole to house.
    Plus the fact that the comcast tech I spoke with over phone said signal to my box was fine

Top Bottom