• ...and so much more!
  • wakproductions

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Indianapolis

https://twitter.com/adamclarkitv/status/1236289649737371648

I don't understand the rush to buy toilet paper. Costco is out of toilet paper. My 75 year old neighbor's wife made him go out in the midst of this dangerous calamity to get toilet paper from the store. Why? You can't eat toilet paper. If you get sick toilet paper won't keep your fever down. How the hell did this get started? Is it because a few years back some prepper channel on Youtube said it was a good idea for sh.... oh... is it because without toilet paper they're worried the **** will hit the fan?

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    For the unenlightened, they saw what was happening in China with the quarantines and sheltering in place and somebody got the bright idea to remind everyone that they’ll need toilet paper if they’re shut in. Let’s not think about food and medicine.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This is just an example of the sheeple reacting. As stated......its like the run on ammo wed saw after sandy hook. People live day to day. This is just the tip. Nothing will ever be the same after this insanity. And I truly believe it is media driven.

Swine flu comes to mind.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My take is that, with the few snow days we have had, the stores have had an inability to market lumpy milk and blue bread to the masses. So, in an attempt to bolster the bottom line they created a panic over the TP to off set the milk and bread deficit...

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's not just tp, people have now thought about food and are panicking. Some grocery stores are empty of food with long lines at the self checkouts.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A little planning advice.

Look before you [STRIKE]jump[/STRIKE] dump.

When you go into a public restroom stall look for TP before you drop your pants. With the panic hoarding people may start stealing rolls of TP from the stalls.

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    In most emergencies observed during my lifetime water has been #1 and TP #2. Obvious jokes aside...

Why? Lots of reasons, probably most of them silly. But it happens over and over again.

Lessons learned my friends. Lessons learned from observation and assuming that it WILL happen again and not hoping that it will NEVER happen again.

This is something to be prepared for, people's unjustifiable reactions, not specifically the shortages themselves. If you were caught hanging out unprepared, I hope you will learn to ready yourself for the circumstances of the unrestrained masses in the future.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    A couple weeks ago the M-I-L was visiting and the TP thing came up. She was stocking up because "it's made in China and they aren't shipping any more".
    At least PhotoNinja has a head on her shoulders and isn't joining in the panic.

I stopped by the Meijer in Carmel yesterday to pick up some stuff for tacos. Saw a lot of people with TP and bottled water in their carts, but most shoppers looked like they were doing their weekly grocery shopping. I wound up waiting in line for ~50 minutes to get checked out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Funny thing about my meijer...

I went to get dog food last night. After picking it up, I strolled through the food section to see what was going on. After that, I went to the check out. The check out lines closest to the grocery side were 30 people long, but the opposite side had absolutely nobody and there were 6 self checks open. Proof that most people just follow the crowd.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Funny thing about my meijer...

I went to get dog food last night. After picking it up, I strolled through the food section to see what was going on. After that, I went to the check out. The check out lines closest to the grocery side were 30 people long, but the opposite side had absolutely nobody and there were 6 self checks open. Proof that most people just follow the crowd.
    My dad works 2nd shift at KCP, and will g to that Meijer after work. I need to ask him if he's stopped by in the last few days. The Carmel store had empty TP shelves, as well as the water aisle and fresh chicken. no rhyme or reason

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    With the amount of people sh*tt*ng themselves over COVID-19, or trying to crap over political rivals to score points while increasing public panic, any wonder supplies are short

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    During the Great Toilet Paper Shortage of 89 (localized to Keflavik NAS, Iceland) public restrooms got looted of TP. My roommate was from Minnesota and had been stationed at Minot, North Dakota. I noticed that even before the shortage he hoarded two things: TP, and booze.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    My guess, and it is strictly a guess, is that tp is bulky and stores and people at home don't typically overstock this item. People at home probably keep enough on hand to get through maybe 2 shopping cycles and stores don't have the room to be stocking months worth of tp. So when the rumors of having to be on lock down for months at a time started going around, people knew they would need a months worth of tp. So they bought maybe double what they would normally buy. This increased purchasing caused store shelves to be empty for a bit, and that spread panic that the tp is running out. So people started panicing that they wouldn't be able to buy tp for awhile and they bought even more. In reality stores, just weren't stocking this bulky item so they just had to wait for the next shipment to come in to stock the shelves.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Last night I had to get a tire repaired. My usual spot is Tire Barn in Camby. So, I wandered over to WM while I waited to grab some work snacks. It was like black friday. The TP aisle was empty, as was the entire section of cleaning/disinfecting sprays and wipes. Paper towels were probably at 50% of what I usually see. Every cart had at least 1 case of water. There were also probably 40 people in the soup aisle. The ramen was down to 2 or 3 12-packs, and the "good" basic soups were disappearing quickly. What I didn't see was anyone chucking at bag of rice or beans into their cart. Nobody had loaded up on frozen meats, canned meats, or anything else that might be useful after Covid goes away, just quick fix crap.

I'm going to vote for the "sheeple knee jerk reaction" also.

Part of me felt bad for them. Part of me decided that, even with this, you couldn't drive the thought of preparing ahead into their brains with a jackhammer, and the next scare will be more of the same.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    It's not just tp, people have now thought about food and are panicking. Some grocery stores are empty of food with long lines at the self checkouts.

^This.... I do my grocery shopping at a smaller chain that normally isn't effected by much of anything (Thanksgiving/Christmas rush, etc) and it was like the apocalypse in there last night. They still had plenty of food and such, but I heard multiple people talking about toilet paper and usually I'm the only guy with anything resembling a "full" cart when I go. Last night I saw people with carts piled as tall as they are and a few with multiple carts.

Some old man asked me what was going on. He said his wife woke him up from his nap and said they had to go to the store NOW and she wouldn't tell him why. Freaking weird times, gents.

Top Bottom