• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My family are all readers. We prefer physical books. But I am starting to think of a kindle. Why? I have lots of kindle books in my Amazon account (I watch for free ones that interest me).

This virus also has me looking ahead. Long viability on surfaces, even UV exposed, means minimizing contact. But we want to keep reading.

I glanced at what Amazon offers and got overwhelmed. So I will ask the INGO knowledge base.

Priority 1 read like a book. I tried the original and my eyes got tired trying to read on it. Heard the White is better.

Priority 2. Easy for kids books to be read. Though my 5 year old has mastered grandma’s iPad.

I am hesitant on the Fire as I don’t want the kid doing video games without our ok. He can read all he wants.

If the machine does more than books, I would like to setup accounts w passcodes. Then kiddo can read whenever he wants, but not do games.

Thanks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    The tablets (fire, iPad) use the battery up a lot fast. If you use it all day, they need charged almost every day. The cheap little book reading only type readers will only need to be charged weekly if you use them a lot. I find the official readers also to be easier on the eyes over the long term than bright shiny tablets. But that is all my preferences.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    You can read Kindle books on almost any device you already have. They have software for Windows, Android & iOS. I have an older model Kindle that works fine, but I consider it a backup device. If you have a tablet or other device you like, you can try loading the software and reading there first for free. Books differ in how they are licensed, but the majority (I have a large collection) can be loaded onto multiple devices using the same account. They will automatically sync and when you switch from one device to another, they will open up at the latest page you've read.

Edit: If you have people using different Kindle accounts, when you aren't using a book, you can lend it to them for up to 14 days so you don't have to rebuy the book.

Last edited:

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have had a Kindle Voyage for a couple of years now. It is a great device and very easy to use. The downside is it has been discontinued by Amazon but you can still find it on the secondary market. Almost any of the current Kindles will do what you need.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Just to put it out there, lots of libraries have huge eBook collections these days too and I don't think you need any particular device to "check" them out.

Correct, I borrow books for free from my library periodically. They also have audiobooks. Depending on your library setup, you may be able to use Kindle or you may need different software, like OverDrive.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    My mom is the one with the iPad. We do not have a tablet and I hate to read too much on my phone. I know the Kindle white was supposed to be a radical change and be easier on the eyes and able to be read anywhere.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    The Kindle Paperwhite is a great option. Fairly inexpensive, especially when on sale. It's small, has a backlight to make reading easier depending on the lighting conditions and is easy to use. If you turn the backlight off, you can use it like a regular book and it's easier on the eyes, which is good if you're reading in or before bed.

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    I will second checking with your library. They may have a program that will work with an existing device and it will be cost effective.

The paperwhite kindle is great for just reading and I find it MUCH easier on the eyes. Its also lightweight so when you fall asleep you wont hurt yourself as it falls on your face...or in your lap.

Both my girls have the kindle kids edition with kid time, they seem to be a little cheaper and work like a regular kindle. Those are really nice since you set the age, the content is specific to that. Games, activities, videos, and you can set time restraints as far a s start, stop, and screen on time.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    I will second checking with your library. T...

Both my girls have the kindle kids edition with kid time, they seem to be a little cheaper and work like a regular kindle. Those are really nice since you set the age, the content is specific to that. Games, activities, videos, and you can set time restraints as far a s start, stop, and screen on time.

On the kids edition, can you set restrictions on what they can do without an adult typing in a code? I have no issues with unlimited access to books to read -- I do not want unlimited access to other things (games, etc).

qwerty

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 24, 2010
    NWI
    On the kids edition, can you set restrictions on what they can do without an adult typing in a code? I have no issues with unlimited access to books to read -- I do not want unlimited access to other things (games, etc).
    There are different ways to accomplish that, but in short yes. You can also whitelist apps, if you have something like abc mouse, a specific book, game, website, etc.

I keep a close eye on it, as you can monitor their activity online from a website or another kindle through the parent dashboard.

It is a subscription, but first year is included. I have not regretted it
    9098cee0431cf65d6e990135470d59d7.jpg
    922ef9538f89949453e2193954426277.jpg
    49cd032baf92f6aaf2b1dc58451c1822.jpg

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Get a "card" at your local library. You should be able to check out ebooks from your library with your account. It's pretty slick.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    My family are all readers. We prefer physical books. But I am starting to think of a kindle. Why? I have lots of kindle books in my Amazon account (I watch for free ones that interest me).

This virus also has me looking ahead. Long viability on surfaces, even UV exposed, means minimizing contact. But we want to keep reading.

I glanced at what Amazon offers and got overwhelmed. So I will ask the INGO knowledge base.

Priority 1 read like a book. I tried the original and my eyes got tired trying to read on it. Heard the White is better.

Priority 2. Easy for kids books to be read. Though my 5 year old has mastered grandma’s iPad.

I am hesitant on the Fire as I don’t want the kid doing video games without our ok. He can read all he wants.

If the machine does more than books, I would like to setup accounts w passcodes. Then kiddo can read whenever he wants, but not do games.

Thanks.

If reading is your primary despite then you can't go wrong with the Kindle Paperwhite. I bought one when they first came out like 4 years ago or so, bought the wife one a couple years ago. I have maybe 350 books on mine, she has at least 1000 on hers (Romance novel junkie). Full charge lasts me for at least a week or two of nightly reading.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    If reading is your primary despite then you can't go wrong with the Kindle Paperwhite. I bought one when they first came out like 4 years ago or so, bought the wife one a couple years ago. I have maybe 350 books on mine, she has at least 1000 on hers (Romance novel junkie). Full charge lasts me for at least a week or two of nightly reading.

I would agree.

Top Bottom