• ...and so much more!
  • flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    No! Not the Carona virus.
    I have experienced at least 4 strong Atrial Fibrillation attacks over the last 2-3 years but buy the time I get to see a doctor it's over. I have experienced many, many, what I call, mild attacks where it doesn't seem to effect my movements but the 4 put me down in bed.
    So, a week and a half ago I woke at 5:30am, breathing was strained like I had been running or something and I could feel a really irregular heartbeat and it was very fast. So I took a few moments to evaluate my options and decided to get dressed and get to the nearest Hospital. Good choice, they caught what was happening on the EKG and recorded it.
    Now maybe I can get some help.
    It seems that A-Fib is not exactly the big worry, it's blood clots from the attack that is the big concern.
    Anyone else living with this?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I was first diagnosed with intermittent A Fib in 2001 (I was 29). They put me on a beta blocker for around nine months before attempting a cardiac ablation. The ablation was not successful and I refused to go back on the beta blocker as it had me feeling like a 90 year old man. I made an effort to get into better shape and the better shape I was in the less frequent the instances became. IV medication never once put me back into a sinus rhythm and I was cardioverted around 8 times over 18 months before the instances finally died down. For years I'd have one about once a year, it would last around 24 hours and go back to a sinus rhythm on it's own. I've not been cardioverted in over 15 years and haven't experienced A Fib in almost two years now. Who knows why.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Yeah, the nurse came running in and said "are you alright, did you feel that" and I said what? And she said well your heart stopped for 6.8 seconds, reset itself and is pumping normal again, and I said well, I did feel lite headed for a moment. So I told her Jesus came by and reset it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Yeah, the nurse came running in and said "are you alright, did you feel that" and I said what? And she said well your heart stopped for 6.8 seconds, reset itself and is pumping normal again, and I said well, I did feel lite headed for a moment. So I told her Jesus came by and reset it.

Good to hear your pump came back on-line. Listen to your Docs, they went to school for this.

A lot of people have this and don't find out, their family gets the notification. Again, listen to your Docs.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I had a massive pulmonary emboli called a 'saddle', meaning it pretty much blocked the arteries going from the heart to both lungs. By the time the clots were dissolved the old ticker had swollen up like a tick and my new rhythm was a-fib.

I went on two different oral meds to try and chemically convert it with no effect. Finally they had to cardiovert me, only had to hit me once, and I have been sinus rhythm since (3 years now).

You could lease a new Mercedes for what those anticoagulants they advertise on TV cost each month. After being asymptomatic for a year I was luckily able to get off them.

I was also lucky that my heart rate when in a-fib was a normal rate so I did not feel like it was running away from me. I just felt like I had only one gear no matter what I was trying to do.

A good doctor will get you through this, just don't try to do too much too fast.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Had my 1st A-fib issue in 05. Been on a alpha blocker and blood thinner since. Had my 1st open heart to repair the mitro valve a week after detection with a maze procedure to try to control the irregular heartbeat without much luck. It did slow them down to a couple times a week. Had my 2nd open heart in August 2018 to replace my aortic valve, another maze procedure and had a defibrillator/pace maker installed. It did help alot more. Been in sinus rythum for the most part since but occasionally I go into a-fib but my device corrects it pretty quickly. Still on a-blockers and blood thinner and a weekly inr check. Diet and exercise have been the most help in controlling it. Cant do what I used to be able to do but still kickn which is better than the alternative.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom