• Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    INGO Small Business Owners

I know there are several of us here on INGO. I was thinking this may be a good place for us to get together and see how we are doing. Also, post about any assistance which may or may not be coming for us. If the mods feel this is a ****y idea you will not hurt my feelings by deleting it.

I have owned a Forest River RV dealership in Fort Wayne for 12 years. Last year was a really bad year in the RV industry and I blew through a lot of savings to save the business. If this situation last too long I will not have a choice but to close. February was crazy busy and even up until 10 days ago I was moving units as fast as they were coming in then it was like someone turn off the spigot. The other issue I am having is my finance companies who I use so I can purchase units have cut us off, not just us, but all dealers nation wide. I have pretty much come to the realization I will be losing the business and while it stinks there is nothing I can do.

I hope you are fairing better.

Last edited:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    FWIW, RV suppliers are doing no better. It's going to be a rough road for the entire industry for awhile and it seems every president really doesn't like seeing Elkhart at 25% unemployment. So... Maybe some hope?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Do you have a website Super Bee where I can look at inventory. We have thought about upgrading my old Toy hauler, and if I decide to do that, Id rather give the money to a INGO member than some business you dont know what they stand for.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Getting orders in in advance of the "shutdown" from a bunch of my customers, thank you!.
    I'm going to be working "remotely" for a bit. I'm still doing setup and prep, ordering etc. Phone, Fax and Email.

Howard County has "non essential" business closed and orange travel. :xmad: This is BEYOND national and state guidelines.

My business is pretty ****ing essential to me and my employees. Closing like this can definitely put a place out of business.

I'm sure I'll be here "cleaning" the next two weeks anyhow. Doors locked to the public.

The ripple effect of this is going to go on for a "bit" longer than two weeks.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE do HVAC work. Mainly new system installs. Service what we install and for friends/family but our main thing is new systems.
    Always slow over the winter. No worries we love the downtime over the Holidays. Word of mouth and all.

I had 5 quotes out and all 5 had been accepted with 2 absolutely requiring new equipment 1 due to a fire and the other has no heat. Furnace is dead.
    Those 2 have deposits down and the equipment/duct work is staged and ready the no heat will be done tomorrow.

The 3 that were by choice upgrades to prep the house to sell have all canceled. They feel selling is a no brainer right now as the world has pretty much come to a halt. We have nothing else in our pipeline. I am not looking for anything in this current situation unless it is a dire need. Folks can bump through this mediocre weather until spring. So after these 2 go in we are dead in the water.

My SIL is my main help. He has a job but works off his rent (I own the house the terrorists live in next door) and he has come to enjoy living basically rent free just giving me 2 or 3 Saturdays a month so this will effect him and his family as well.

We will get through this but no new truck for the mouse this year. I know, real world problem when so many have it pretty hard right now and it will get harder.

We do help out in the area when we can for those who really need it. We take the old systems that can be repaired/rebuilt and use them in situations of hardship with people that are truly needy. We did 2 last summer and there will be another one to do if I can find the parts. Fixed income people of age. Single mothers struggling. Makes no difference. If we can help we will. That's what we use the still running units for on the up-grades we do. With out the used units we will be dead in this aspect as well.

To all, I pray we all find a way to get clear of this.

Thanks China.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My wife owns an after school science education business. Schools closed means zero income for her as long as this goes. Having a bunch of kids at our house for classes isn't going to work for sanitary and space reasons.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Not much of a worry with my day job. Agriculture being what it is and working in support of farmers pretty much keeps me employed. My training business is already taking a hit. Not that it was a large portion of my income, but it helped. My biggest worry is my wife's beauty salon. A total shutdown would severely impact her business and a major portion of our income. I'm trying to stay upbeat, but she is worried to death.

It's good to see InGoers helping each other and folks like the mouse helping those in need. If we stick together, we'll all be ok.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Wishing you the best of luck, S.B. I feel like this will mostly pass us by within a month, and we can try to piece things back together. I do printing in Schererville, and like Printcraft, we can do some work remotely through email, phone and fax. My computer graphics people are set up to work from home, so as long as I can drive the 8 miles from home to work, I can press the print button and continue to serve my clients and bring in a little revenue to avoid total chaos. After 35 years in business, I'm in a little better position than many, with reserves that will last at least through the end of the year, and have assured my employees they have a paycheck and insurance through that time period no matter what, and I think that was somewhat comforting to them. My biggest concern, business wise, are the many startup companies I do work for, restaurants in particular. Sadly, many of them will not survive this, no matter how much .gov tries to help. Best wishes for all small business in Indiana, and every Hoosier for that matter.

Steve

p.s. SB, there may be .gov low interest loans and other monies to help you stay afloat, as this all gets sorted out.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I know there are several of us here on INGO. I was thinking this may be a good place for us to get together and see how we are doing. Also, post about any assistance which may or may not be coming for us. If the mods feel this is a ****y idea you will not hurt my feelings by deleting it.

I have owned a Forest River RV dealership in Fort Wayne for 12 years. Last year was a really bad year in the RV industry and I blew through a lot of savings to save the business. If this situation last too long I will not have a choice but to close. February was crazy busy and even up until 10 days ago I was moving units as fast as they were coming in then it was like someone turn off the spigot. The other issue I am having is my finance companies who I use so I can purchase units have cut us off, not just us, but all dealers nation wide. I have pretty much come to the realization I will be losing the business and while it stinks there is nothing I can do.

I hope you are fairing better.
    I work for a woodworking Co. that makes parts for the rec. market. We manufacture exclusively for REV. They have 10 chassis left to work with. I can see this being a very short week.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    My wife and her best friend are business partners & own/run a small, yard sign, celebration type of business. I'm expecting her graduation season (busiest season for them) to take a hit. Their business has changed a bit last several days as families are requesting signs outside of some senior living facilities so that their elderly loved ones (that they cannot visit currently) can see them through the windows. They also got a request from a bunch of these same facilities for signs to show appreciation for staff, etc. Kind of cool to see how folks want to inspire others during this time.

My wife has a serious heart condition, and so though she would normally be helping with setups as well as doing all the office work, she has quarantined up to stay out of direct contact as much as possible and is doing all office work and having her partner do setups. Minimal contact with people as setups are outside (usually done in evening to allow for surprise for intended recipients, all is paid online, etc.

Last edited:

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Wishing you the best of luck, S.B. I feel like this will mostly pass us by within a month, and we can try to piece things back together.

I sure hope you are right, I can make it a month. I can keep it going if I need, but that would mean pulling money out of my personal accounts. Last year I had to do that and I swore to myself I would not do that again. I feel taking away money from my family is just not right, I need to keep personal money personal and business money business. I wish all of us the best.

Tim

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I sure hope you are right, I can make it a month. I can keep it going if I need, but that would mean pulling money out of my personal accounts. Last year I had to do that and I swore to myself I would not do that again. I feel taking away money from my family is just not right, I need to keep personal money personal and business money business. I wish all of us the best.

Tim

Is this not the reason you sold that beautiful car that I never got to drive...:):

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Is this not the reason you sold that beautiful car that I never got to drive...:):

That is it my friend. I am still ****in and moanin over that one. To be honest, I sold her at the right time, a couple weeks later I would have never gotten out of her what I did. I see prices are already dropping.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Tim

I don't know what services your dealership offers, but on the RV forums people b**** and moan endlessly about getting warranty work taken care of or just good work done, period. Is it possible to double down on the customer service side of your business and pull those folks in from all over the country so YOU get the warranty and service money and not some shady dude in Utah?

Some of these people are so mad that they legit are willing to drive just about anywhere.

Just a thought.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I don't know what services your dealership offers, but on the RV forums people b**** and moan endlessly about getting warranty work taken care of or just good work done, period. Is it possible to double down on the customer service side of your business and pull those folks in from all over the country so YOU get the warranty and service money and not some shady dude in Utah?

Some of these people are so mad that they legit are willing to drive just about anywhere.

Just a thought.

Poor warranty service begins with the manufactures. They will kick, scream and fight the dealerships on everything. Then, when they finally agree to pay for a repair they may offer you 2 hours for a 4 hour job. I can not tell you how much money I eat doing warranty service work. I figure it is not the customers fault so I always do it whether I get paid for it or not. Many dealers will tell customers they are backed up 6 months in hopes customers take their issues someplace else.

I have always thought if I take care of their service work, maybe, just maybe they will come back to me when they are ready to buy their next trailer.

Tim

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Some poor warranty service has to do with the manufactures, they will kick, scream and fight the dealerships on everything. Then when they finally agree to pay for a repair they may offer you 2 hours for a 4 hour job. I can not tell you how much money I eat doing warranty service work. I figure it is not the customers fault so I always do it whether I get paid for it or not. Many dealers will tell customers they are backed up 6 months in hopes customers take their issues someplace else.

I have always thought if I take care of their service work, maybe, just maybe they will come back to me when they are ready to buy their next trailer.

Tim

This seems like one of those deals that might be double the work for half the pay, but if you can keep the lights on...? Dunno, man. Just spitballin'. I know there are a ton of crappy dealers out there so people do like the good ones when they find them.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I sell and service restaurant equipment, soo...

What are the odds that some of your clients, or potential clients, would take this opportunity to install some updates in the slow days? Or maybe branch out into tangential services (deep cleaning? I dunno...) to fill gaps? Maybe start looking for blood early and make offers to buy back good used equipment, then flip it?

I just have to think that if you have that list of customers, and you have a skill set, there's probably another way to apply it that normally wouldn't be worth the trouble, but maybe today it is. That's not a knock or anything... Just trying to think outside the box.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I know there are a ton of crappy dealers out there so people do like the good ones when they find them.

This is true. I have several families who have bought 2, 3 or 4 units from me. I appreciate your advice. Always good to hear others ideas just in case we have not tried them yet.

Tim

Top Bottom