• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well guys having hand tremor problems. My understanding is it will get worse. Is there anything that well help shooting abilities later on when it gets worse? Or does a person start using a shotgun to hit?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    The mass of the gun is your friend.
    Helps a bit with the tremor.

Also, there are various drugs.
    I take a light dose of Propranonol

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If it's real bad, there's also a "deep brain probe".
    But I'm thinking that's a last resort.

I've had tremors most of my life.
    As a reactor operator, people would think I was being nervous.
    It was just my tremor.
    Though I wasn't diagnosed back then.

I'm assuming you're seeing a Neurologist?

MnemonicMonkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2012
    I've only self diagnosed, but it's getting to the point where I might go see someone.

As of a couple years ago, I could have a beer and out shoot my brother.

Had a bad situation with a patient last week and wasn't sure I was going to get the syringe on his IV...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I've had essential tremors pretty much my entire life also. Like Actaeon in my early 20s my doctor put me on Propranolol (also known as Inderol) and it has made a huge difference in me. My tremors were to the point that sometimes I couldn't even write something on a piece of paper. I still have occasional tremors if I get real tired and stressed but most of the time you cant hardly notice it.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Aren't beta-blockers the general go-to in this instance? Partly why they're on the anti-doping list for athletes?

I should know. I have a textual relationship with a neurologist neighbor.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Aren't beta-blockers the general go-to in this instance? Partly why they're on the anti-doping list for athletes?

I should know. I have a textual relationship with a neurologist neighbor.

A textual relationship? :rofl:

Yes, go see someone. Medications listed here are the right direction. Sorry, that's frustrating. Interfering with hobbies is one thing but interfering with work is a different beast, esp in healthcare. Take care of you.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    If it's real bad, there's also a "deep brain probe".
    But I'm thinking that's a last resort.

I've had tremors most of my life.
    As a reactor operator, people would think I was being nervous.
    It was just my tremor.
    Though I wasn't diagnosed back then

I'm assuming you're seeing a Neurologist?

Yes been dealing with a vampire I mean neurologist. Just got the news Monday. Going to go back in and talk about a plan to control it. It just started about a year ago. When LR target (500 yards around here) shooting it really messes things up. I have to let go of my grip lay my hand down, and relax. It usually stops and I can get a few shots in. Dr said its very early stages.

Reason I caught the shaking was because of my shooting. It gets very irritating to say the least.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I've had essential tremors pretty much my entire life also. Like Actaeon in my early 20s my doctor put me on Propranolol (also known as Inderol) and it has made a huge difference in me. My tremors were to the point that sometimes I couldn't even write something on a piece of paper. I still have occasional tremors if I get real tired and stressed but most of the time you cant hardly notice it.

I think Inderol is the name brand, and Propranolol is the generic.
    My insurance wants us to use the generic, unless there's some reason it doesn't work.
    And since it's worked for me...

Also, I've used Lorazepam. I think it was one of the first treatments. Did the job, but... all I could do was sleep and work. In fact, I had to get a note fro m the doc that I couldn't work OT because of the risk of falling asleep, or making a mistake with heavy machinery.
    I finally changed neuros (for a different reason) and the new neuro said it was like using a hammer to put a pin in Styrofoam.
    I told him that she said it was the Lorazepam or a Deep Brain Probe. He told me, No. There are many other medications we could try.
    I'm glad I switched docs.

I've also been on Primidone when I thought the Propranonol was giving me side effects.
    But it turns out it wasn't. I was having muscle spasms in the esophagus because a hernia above the stomach was allowing stomach acid to eat up the lining of the throat while I slept. Caused spasms when I was trying to eat.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Thanks for the information on the different meds. I definitely want to take something that isn't going to interfere with my life as much as possible. That lorazepam I don't want for sure.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Not a Deep Brain Probe.
    It's a Deep Brain Stimulation

Note: I'm not getting this. I'm worried about what happens if I take a shock at work. My first doc, the one that mentioned it, told me she was told the machine might just reboot. I told her, I'm not worried about the machine. I'm worried about the metal rod conducting the voltage further into my brain.

[video=youtube;3pSMFYhh5E8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pSMFYhh5E8[/video]

[video=youtube;qjOJNyHEwUo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOJNyHEwUo[/video]

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I think Inderol is the name brand, and Propranolol is the generic.
    My insurance wants us to use the generic, unless there's some reason it doesn't work.
    And since it's worked for me...

Also, I've used Lorazepam. I think it was one of the first treatments. Did the job, but... all I could do was sleep and work. In fact, I had to get a note fro m the doc that I couldn't work OT because of the risk of falling asleep, or making a mistake with heavy machinery.
    I finally changed neuros (for a different reason) and the new neuro said it was like using a hammer to put a pin in Styrofoam.
    I told him that she said it was the Lorazepam or a Deep Brain Probe. He told me, No. There are many other medications we could try.
    I'm glad I switched docs.

I've also been on Primidone when I thought the Propranonol was giving me side effects.
    But it turns out it wasn't. I was having muscle spasms in the esophagus because a hernia above the stomach was allowing stomach acid to eat up the lining of the throat while I slept. Caused spasms when I was trying to eat.

Before I saw a neurologist and had the MRI and was officially diagnosed my internal medicine doc put me on lorazepam also. I was not a fan. It just knocked me out and made me very cranky. Luckily I wasn't on it long. I have been on the Propanolol for about 15 years and am very happy with the results.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Before I saw a neurologist and had the MRI and was officially diagnosed my internal medicine doc put me on lorazepam also. I was not a fan. It just knocked me out and made me very cranky. Luckily I wasn't on it long. I have been on the Propanolol for about 15 years and am very happy with the results.

Yup, that Lorazepam was a beast.
    I did like telling the boss, sorry I can't work over, and watching them grind their teeth.
    But then all I did was go home and sleep. So life kind of just slipped past for a couple years.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If anyone on the greater south side of Indy / Greenwood / Shelbyville / Whiteland / Franklin need a neurologist, I can get you a name.

Caveat: I don't know how she is as a neurologist, but she's good people. I mean, how many other neurologists would pick up some groceries for me and bring drop them off on her way home?

Top Bottom