• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STAGE 2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 26, 2019
    Fishers
    Been an adopted Hoosier (and SoCal expat) for about a year now and its been the best decision my wife and I have made yet. :rockwoot: Circumstances being what they are, I was taking inventory around the ol' gosh darn rec room I found some parts I've either never used, or takeoffs from projects I've have had in the past.

So to return some of the good vibes you Indiana folk have sent our way (and slay the boredom that has now cursed this land) I give you the Great 2020 CoronaVirus giveaway!!! Up for grabs is a Battle Arms Development - Ambidextrous Safety Selector (BAD-ASS) standard 90 degree throw. This was a takeoff from an AR I purchased (I'm not an ambi fan) and comes with the selector and all the necessary hardware (sans wrench).

You won't have to spin a wheel or guess what's behind door number 3 to win. What you will have to do is post your best summer bbq recipe. Grilling season is nearly upon us so let it fly. Ribeye, pulled pork, carne asada, you name it. I'm throwing a wide net here, so if it once walked and now it sizzles its game for the contest. I may even consider a truly epic side. So if it graces your outdoor table next to the tiki torches and your [strike]pearl[/strike] ivory handled Colt, its eligible.

Contest ends on Sunday at 5pm and I will announce the winner. Best of luck!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'm a simple man.

Whether it be a ribeye, a sirloin, or a filet... Once it has completely thawed in the refrigerator, or fresh from the store: It sits out and comes to "room temperature".

Then it gets rubbed down with olive oil on both sides. Then a semi-generous sprinkling, on both sides, with larage-grain sea salt. That also gets rubbed in.

I get the grill as hot as I can in order to keep cooking time as minimal as possible. And since I generally don't like super thick steaks (due to longer cooking time), 2-3 mins per side will generally result in an incredibly tender and flavorful done-to-medium steak.

Also if we're feeling froggy, we'll do some asparagus on the grill. Baste that ish in either olive oil or melted butter, sprinkle liberally with garlic salt + maybe a little season-all - roast over the flames until tender.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I have a 2 edged secret for great BBQ. One for burnt ends is to go to Velvet Smoke at exit 1 on I74 just over the border in Ohio. Two is for BBQ ribs and requires more miles. I go to Georgia twice a year on the bike. The place is Jim's Smokin' Q' near Blairsville. He starts the smokin' with cherry wood. I have been a Q eater for a very long time. I used to hang out with Steve Clardy who owned King's Ribs on the northeast side of Indianapolis. His Q was good but, Jim's for my palet knocked it out of the park. I have found that when comparing ribs I always choose the medium sauce. I try the hot only if I like the medium. How good is Jim's? This 60 year old man will ride a sport bike 1,000 miles round trip to get them. I have tried many times to cook ribs. I just don't have the ability to surpass the BBQ of award winning people I've been blessed with knowing. So, on the easy side, when you have a chance to try burnt ends at Velvet Smoke, don't short yourself.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I don't need the parts, but I'll tell you the best BBQ sauce I've ever had is a 50/50 mix of Sweet Baby Ray's original and this.

I'm pretty sure you could get 85% as close to that relish with not much more than a can or two of chipotles in adobo sauce, but... I like buying it from them

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I just smoked a whole brisket yesterday (3/26) and it was great. Basic homemade rub, 3 hrs in smoke, 2 more hrs in foil, then remove foil and slather with Sweet Baby Rays and go for 1 more hr in smoke.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I like the Lowrey's Seasoned Salt on good quality ribeyes over charcoal, or with pork steaks, followed by Sweet Baby Rays original flavor. And minced onion on both. And a little garlic powder. And black pepper.

p.s. Welcome to Indiana! (Also do not need the parts prize)

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I like the Lowrey's Seasoned Salt on good quality ribeyes over charcoal, or with pork steaks, followed by Sweet Baby Rays original flavor. And minced onion on both. And a little garlic powder. And black pepper.

p.s. Welcome to Indiana! (Also do not need the parts prize)

Good recipe, especially on the pork steak side of things (can't say I'd ever put BBQ sauce on a beautiful ribeye), but... and I swear I'm not shilling for these guys and I'm just a happy customer, this will see that bar and raise it. I buy the 3lb bags and have half of my coworkers addicted as well.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    Good recipe, especially on the pork steak side of things (can't say I'd ever put BBQ sauce on a beautiful ribeye), but... and I swear I'm not shilling for these guys and I'm just a happy customer, this will see that bar and raise it. I buy the 3lb bags and have half of my coworkers addicted as well.

I didn't say it well, but you're right, no Q sauce on the ribeyes, just the pork. I'll have to try the mesquite stuff you linked.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I didn't say it well, but you're right, no Q sauce on the ribeyes, just the pork. I'll have to try the mesquite stuff you linked.

Thank God! I can deal with the junk mail, but there are only so many blind eyes I can turn. :laugh:

Do that, plus the relish mix (or just straight relish if you want it to be extra spicy) that I mentioned previously and you'll never go back to not doing them that way. I buy about a case of that relish and a bag of that seasoning about twice a year when they have sales. Sooooo good.

I've got a nice thick pork chop in the fridge right now and it may be getting that treatment later tonight.

FWIW, Kent's YouTube channel is immensely entertaining too.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Buffalo turds.

Core jalapenos. The better you clean them, the milder they'll be. Stuff them with a mix of cream cheese, cheddar Colby Jack, bacon bits, chives, and bbq rub. Wrap the jalapeno in bacon and smoke until bacon is cooked.

Grogmister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    They are not steak or chicken but......DAMN are they good

BaconDogs—take your favorite hotdog, slice it longways. Get diced onions and mix them with some mustard. Fill each dog with as little or as lot as you desire. Wrap each dog with a slice of raw bacon to hold it all together. Toothpick in each end to hold the bacon. Throw them on the grill, add a bun (remove the burnt toothpicks) and enjoy. Super easy, super quick and the 3 just work together.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Excellent homemade pork rub! (can be used on chicken too) I use this on all my pork ribs and pork butts that I smoke. It makes quite a bit, I usually make a batch and keep it in a mason jar.

1-1/2 Cup white sugar
    1/4 Cup salt
    2-1/2 Tbsp. black pepper
    4 Tbsp. smoked paprika (or regular)
    1 tsp. cayenne pepper (more or less depending on how spicy you like)
    2 Tbsp. garlic powder
    2 tsp. chili powder

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DMash
    Top Bottom