• ...and so much more!
  • AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Obviously all branches are closed but I am hoping that I can mail forms in or something. I am looking for some solid info if anything can be done for the following situation.

Diamond Collision has a car that was supposed to be gifted to a single mom in need on April first. It was a theft recovery that was donated to the cause by Sate Farm and we have donated the repairs. Car is done Mom was hoping for it on the first and I can't get the title transferred to the Charity organization that is coordinating the vent.

This is a long shot but I was hoping someone on here might have some inside info on how I can still get this car to intended recipient.

Thanks.

Nice little Jetta, sucks holding it up until who knows when

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Alan, I think you are okay to hand over the car whenever you want to. The new owner has 30 days (maybe 45) to file for a new title after taking delivery of the car, and can drive the vehicle without a plate as long as they have documents supporting a legal/legitimate transfer of ownership within the grace period.

If you can get( or already have) the paper Title from State Farm the new owner can simply take that to the BMV once it re-opens. The Governor said on his press conference that people wouldn't be charged for license or registration offenses while we are under quarantine, so I would assume the same hold true for titles.

Obvs I am not a lawyer, but this seems like something that can be legitimately postponed until after the panic ebbs.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Alan, I think you are okay to hand over the car whenever you want to. The new owner has 30 days (maybe 45) to file for a new title after taking delivery of the car, and can drive the vehicle without a plate as long as they have documents supporting a legal/legitimate transfer of ownership within the grace period.

If you can get( or already have) the paper Title from State Farm the new owner can simply take that to the BMV once it re-opens. The Governor said on his press conference that people wouldn't be charged for license or registration offenses while we are under quarantine, so I would assume the same hold true for titles.

Obvs I am not a lawyer, but this seems like something that can be legitimately postponed until after the panic ebbs.

not quite the scenario since this has a salvage title. there are extra steps to transfer it to the charity then to the new owner. I need BMV services :)
    I have a police inspection lined up even though they were reluctant since BMV was not open, crossing my fingers for the rest

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    This is a long shot, but is there a chance a local used dealer might be willing to help? I think they do all of their BMV stuff either electronically or by mail.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I have heard ( Ian not a lawyer) but that police are not ticketing for 60 days due to the Coronavirus I think the time frames have open up a lot. I don’t know about insurance etc. perhaps they are assenting or no in states not shut down?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This is a long shot, but is there a chance a local used dealer might be willing to help? I think they do all of their BMV stuff either electronically or by mail.

All title work still needs done in person. Some of the large dealers hire a person just for standing in line at the BMV doing title work.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    All title work still needs done in person. Some of the large dealers hire a person just for standing in line at the BMV doing title work.

:facepalm:

Of course! Well... Maybe this will kick some automation into gear with the state now that this obvious defect in the system is a bit more obvious.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    :facepalm:

Of course! Well... Maybe this will kick some automation into gear with the state now that this obvious defect in the system is a bit more obvious.

That would be nice. I received an e-mail last week stating the BMV was shutting down and get all title work done now. I was sitting ok, then sold a unit with a lien after the shutdown. Now I have a title sitting here I can not transfer over. The BMV has increased the temp plates from 30 to 60 days since the customers will not be able to get new plates.

Top Bottom