• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Still planning our escape from Kommiefornina, but it's looking dimmer with this COVID-19 disaster upon us.

Really broad, non-specific question here...

I'm talking single story with basement, no-frills, frame construction, concrete tile roof, etc.

What cost per square foot bracket are we looking at?

Thanks for any, and all, comments.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Still planning our escape from Kommiefornina, but it's looking dimmer with this COVID-19 disaster upon us.

I'm talking single story with basement, no-frills, frame construction, concrete tile roof, etc.

As soon as the foreclosure mill gets started from all of this, unless you have specific needs, it will likely be far cheaper just to buy pre-existing... FAR cheaper, IMHO.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Here or California. Youn do not need concrete tile roof. metal or most common composite shingle. It is going to vary widely but when I am in my office I can post the cost factors for location for your area of Cali and an area of Indiana, if you can narrow both down to a city or county.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Not being in the residential end of construction I can't give you a cost, but I'm sure someone else will be along who can. What I can say, after just returning from working for 2-1/2 years in Colorado, is that home costs are less than half here in Hamilton County, Indiana cost of living is a tremendous value compared to Colorado or either of the coasts.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    We've been watching a number of different areas of Indianapolis for some time. The info from other members above is solid, what I'm seeing right now is that you can go from basic to modest for $85 to $125 per square foot.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We did a 500 sq. ft. room addition about 5 years ago. It ran us about 128/sq ft but we did a bunch of the.work ourselves and built to a higher standard than a typical residentia builder would have.

Edited to clarify, addition, not reno.

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

Sell now, come here, build what you want and pocket the other million. But if you want to make this place what you left, stay there.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Sell now, come here, build what you want and pocket the other million. But if you want to make this place what you left, stay there.

Well maybe not ALL comments.:rockwoot::laugh:

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    Thanks for all the comments, except one ... sorry you feel that way brother.

Yes, in Indiana. Where down along the Ohio; Magnet, Derby, thereabouts. Looking for 1-10 acre spread.

Thanks for the dollar figure Doc.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for all the comments, except one ... sorry you feel that way brother.

Yes, in Indiana. Where down along the Ohio; Magnet, Derby, thereabouts. Looking for 1-10 acre spread.

Thanks for the dollar figure Doc.

The comment is true though we don't need any hardcore CA democrats but since you refer to it as Kommifornia i'm guessing that's not the case lol. Plus one on getting a basement, I grew up in MI where basements were a common thing with any new home build. Here in IN in the median priced suburb neighborhoods most homes now don't have basements and if you want one the builder charges an obscene amount to discourage you. The sort of next tier up builders though are more reasonable with basements/walkouts but you are paying a lot more overall for the house.

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    Realistically, it is hard to build anything under $125/sq ft.

We just moved into our new place in November . I got it done for right at $120/sq/ft and that was having septic and a well put in . Very nice brick 2 story , spray foam insulation , and standing seam roof . It's not your high end fancy home , but far from basic , no frills . That price also included all new appliances / washer , dryer .

I was the general contractor , but hired out 99% of it . We were under a time constraints and had to get it done ASAP , so I did next to nothing on it .

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Depending on how close you want to be to civilization and if you have a school district preference the larger plots of land will be $$$$. Neighborhoods should easily get you into the $/sqft point you're looking for. In 2018 we were able to move into an upper range neighborhood with ~.5 acre for $91/foot with finished basement.

Top Bottom