Bacon, It's Not Just For Breakfast Anymore. Post Your Favorites...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    We need a happy thread, here it is.

My favorite is Nueske's, it is real hardwood smoked. Great flavor, makes the house smell like you are smoking meat in it when you cook it. Delish!!!

Smoking Goose has lamb bacon, the little slices work perfectly on a nice grilled cheese sandwich.

Smoking Goose has jowl bacon that cooked up crisp goes great in egg dishes.

What you got?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Aldi bacon...$3.29 a lb...good on anything

It's usually surprisingly good, but lately they've been slicing it thinner. Same thing with the Kroger brand bacon. Started out good (especially their apple wood smoked bacon). I just wish they'd set the slicer at one consistent thickness and leave it there! Nothing worse than pulling a slice out of the package and have it stretch out to 2 feet long and paper thin. There is no need to adjust the thickness setting on the slicer. :xmad:

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    There is a local meat market in Fort Wayne, Jamisons. They have the best extra think cut bacon I have ever had.

The second would actually be Kirkland thick cut from Costcos. I know, it is hard to believe, but it is very good as well.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    large_2ed97f50-d2dd-44b6-adc8-cb3e2cde1151.JPG

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Wrights bacon is darn good but every once it awhile I treat myself to Zicks applewood smoked bacon. :drool:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    There is a local meat market in Fort Wayne, Jamisons. They have the best extra think cut bacon I have ever had.

Can confirm. Jamison's is the bomb. That's one of the thing I miss about FTW.

They have the best quality cube steak I've ever had too, if you're into that sort of thing.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Can confirm. Jamison's is the bomb. That's one of the thing I miss about FTW.

They have the best quality cube steak I've ever had too, if you're into that sort of thing.

You mean gristle patties with a little bit of meat mixed in? :): That's been my experience with cube steak.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    You mean gristle patties with a little bit of meat mixed in? :): That's been my experience with cube steak.

Precisely why Jamison's is the place to get them. I don't know what cuts they use since "cube steak" can be literally any damn thing they pick up off the floor, but it's always been very high quality when I order it from them. The stuff from Walmart/Meijer/etc is all garbage. Even the other "premier" butcher shop in FTW (Dave Hill's) isn't even close to as consistent as Jamison's. Prices are pretty fair too, IMO.

Speaking of... If you're a connoisseur of such things, order up your 5/10/50lbs of cube steak frozen into whatever portions you want from Jamison's, then on the drive up stop off at Liberty Diner and grab one of their 16oz country fried steaks to gobble up. Same story there too. Simply the highest quality "swissed" steak I've ever had.

More than an a honorable mention to the Casa Grill on Dupont, directly in front of Jamison's north store, if you're more in an Italian mood. I've driven to Anderson mutliple times in my life just to get White Castle, so... food road trips aren't outside of my MO. :laugh:

Man... You're making me miss home!

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Take whatever bacon you want and wrap it around a small chunk of duck breast. Stick a toothpick in to hold the bacon and pop that on a grill. You will have one of life's greater pleasures in your mouth once it is cooked.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Have any of you tried Nueske's bacon? I have had the Wrights and it is not even close. Today we had the house bacon from Fresh Thyme market and it was not even close, but just 2/3 the price of Nueske's bacon. The Nueske's is expensive but I eat less because it is satisfying. I usually am happy with 3-4 pieces vs. 5-6 of cheaper stuff...

The FDA only requires 1/2 an hour of actual smoke to call it "smoked". Nueske's smokes a lot longer than that.

Hard to believe no one has tried the bacons I love...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Take whatever bacon you want and wrap it around a small chunk of duck breast. Stick a toothpick in to hold the bacon and pop that on a grill. You will have one of life's greater pleasures in your mouth once it is cooked.

Duck and bacon makes anything better a special off the charts sensation...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    shape a bowl out of bacon. It makes an edible crispy bacon bowl. Then fill with whatever you choose. Makes salad “better”

plus less dishes.

View attachment 85601

I bought a set of those. Used them exactly once. The bacon stuck to them and was in pieces by the time I got it pried off. I was really disappointed because in theory I thought it looked like an awesome idea!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We have bacon a couple days a week and do ours in the air fryer and it works out pretty good, the excess grease drips to the lower pan so it's not as greasy.

Top Bottom