• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    The joys of home ownership ! When I pulled the cover off the brine tank of my water softener today to add salt I noticed the water level was several inches above the level of the existing salt in the tank. I have never observed any water standing above the salt level before. I Googled “water level in brine tank” and there are several possible problems - most of which refer to clogged valves of some kind.

As an aside, I recently had a problem with the shut off for the main water supply to the house. I had to cut the old “spinner handle” shut off valve and replace with a quarter turn valve using shark bites to splice things together. I’m wondering if, during all my replumbing efforts, I dislodged a piece of dirt that is now the cause of the excess water in the brine tank ?

Hoping a fellow Ingoer might provide some insight on how to approach trying to resolve this issue.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated !

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    First thing to do is see if the float just slid up the tube and simply needs pushed back down. Sometimes they'll work loose over time.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have the opposite problem amboy - brine tank is bone dry. I'm going to have to replace my 23 year old softener next week.

I know it’s a bit of a thread jack but have you looked into one of those “Easy Water” devices? It’s not a softener but it’s supposed to keep the stuff from settling out and causing problems. A friend of mine has one and swears by it.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I know it’s a bit of a thread jack but have you looked into one of those “Easy Water” devices? It’s not a softener but it’s supposed to keep the stuff from settling out and causing problems. A friend of mine has one and swears by it.

No I haven't. I've never had a problem until now. Is that one of those reverse osmosis systems?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I dunno. It's from Imperial Water Conditioning down here on the south side of Indy. Mom and Dad had it installed in 1997.

OK then... I have some experience with Kinetico softeners and they still support them all the way back into the '80s (therefore you can fix them affordably, usually), so I thought I'd ask before you just replace it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No I haven't. I've never had a problem until now. Is that one of those reverse osmosis systems?

No. It almost seems like magic. It basically coils a wire around your water supply line and then with some electronic magic applies a field to your water which is supposed to keep the minerals from settling out. (I’m not doing it justice). No moving parts, no salt to mess with, no plumbing changes, etc. My friend said he used to have to change out his water heater every few years because of the lime scale build up. He said since he put his in a few years ago, he said the problem has gone away plus he doesn’t have to put up with the way softened water tastes and feels.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    No. It almost seems like magic. It basically coils a wire around your water supply line and then with some electronic magic applies a field to your water which is supposed to keep the minerals from settling out. (I’m not doing it justice). No moving parts, no salt to mess with, no plumbing changes, etc. My friend said he used to have to change out his water heater every few years because of the lime scale build up. He said since he put his in a few years ago, he said the problem has gone away plus he doesn’t have to put up with the way softened water tastes and feels.

Well, I've never had a single problem until this latest electrical service "upgrade". I really would like to tell both the city and the electrician where they can stick their "upgrade" and put my old 100 amp fuse box back in, and NOT connect me to the freaking sanitary sewers. In my experience, any "upgrade" never really is an "upgrade". It's usually a significant "downgrade". I've not seen anything to convince me otherwise. I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana

Hummm... I have a softener but it's not at all doing the job as far as minerals, and this is a rented house, so there's not much I can do about it. If that thing installs OVER the pipe, I may be interested in one. I'll have to dig deeper on this subject.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Well, I've never had a single problem until this latest electrical service "upgrade". I really would like to tell both the city and the electrician where they can stick their "upgrade" and put my old 100 amp fuse box back in, and NOT connect me to the freaking sanitary sewers. In my experience, any "upgrade" never really is an "upgrade". It's usually a significant "downgrade". I've not seen anything to convince me otherwise. I'm in the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp.

On the plus side, you can now run a serious welder and a real air compressor at the same time... if that's your kink.

Top Bottom