• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Spin off from the pickup thread, let's see whatcha got.

Not the greatest pic but a 2003 US Strat purchased here on INGO and a Collings D1. I'm nowhere near good enough to own either one but I like em.

uoT2u63h.jpg

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I have a Gibson Southern Jumbo natural from 1971 that my grandfather bought to learn to play in his retirement. Have the loan papers he signed back then. It still has the original strings best I know. If someone wants to put this in their collection we should talk. Sheryl Crow played this model for years. Have the original case in like new condition, the instrument is like new with the affects of just sitting in the case for 40 years.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

Not the greatest pic but a 2003 US Strat purchased here on INGO and a Collings D1. I'm nowhere near good enough to own either one but I like em.

uoT2u63h.jpg

That Collins is a great box. A bit more balanced than the Martin dreads and very playable. Color me a bit jealous.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

uoT2u63h.jpg

I like that Strat! I was borrowing one from a friend trying to decide if I had enough life left to learn how to play and if I would have the discipline to practice daily.

I fail on both accounts. I gave it back and never bought one.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I like that Strat! I was borrowing one from a friend trying to decide if I had enough life left to learn how to play and if I would have the discipline to practice daily.

I fail on both accounts. I gave it back and never bought one.

This is my third go 'round with guitar. I "played" for several years in high school and never accomplished much other than learning just enough of the popular songs at the time so people could recognize what I was playing. I gave it up when I joined the Army and found other interests.

I bought an acoustic about 10 years ago thinking I'd start again but that never happened. It collected dust for a few months before I sent it on it's way.

This time I'm doing much better. I'm actually learning scales, chords and trying to understand theory while having the patience I didn't have before to learn entire songs. No one would want to listen to me "play" but I'm getting better and hopefully that'll change some day.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That Collins is a great box. A bit more balanced than the Martin dreads and very playable. Color me a bit jealous.

Thank you, I'm very happy with it. My boss is a huge guitar player/collector and I was shopping for a used acoustic. He has a lot of Martin guitars so I asked for his opinion on Martin vs Taylor and he told me to check out Collings (I'd never heard of them). I did and told him they were out of my budget and he told me to pick out which one I wanted and he bought it for me. I went for the D1 as it was the most affordable and is nicer than anything I have the right to own.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Something I wish I had done. I cannot play a lick but like to look at guitars. My son tells me it is not to late for me to start though. When he was in high school he got quite good. He used to play the Jimmy Hendrix/Ted Nugent version of the Star Spangled Banner before school sporting events. If Speed-Metal Lead Guitarist could have been his MOS when he joined the Army, it would have been. He quite playing for several years and just recently picked it up again after getting out. Like riding a bike,.....or so he tells me.

Dirty Steve

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Sold my bass
    No time and fam working diff shifts, can't rumble the house no mo'.
    Liked to spin concert DVDs and play along, Maiden Live After Death.....had most of it memorized.
    Long gone now.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I starting taking lessons when I was 5 and sold my last guitar when I was 17. I have a couple, but only to collect autographs. This is just a inexpensive Squire Strat signed by Ace Frehley. I was lucky enough to hang out with Ace on his tour bus a couple years ago, he signed everything I had. I keep this in my office at work.

D9XlrXO.jpg

R7w1B7g.jpg

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    This is a 24 year old Epiphone Les Paul. I have it signed by Bruce Kulick- ex KISS guitarist and Tommy Thayer- current KISS guitarist. Have just enough room for Ace on there.

XIBoC76.jpg

0YhFq47.jpg

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I still have my 1st guitar that I bought used for $175 in 1998. Ovation deep bowl, Sitka top. Mellow mids but has some serious punchy highs and deep bass. Was literally getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Taylor 714ce V-class but the Covid panic came and shut everything down. Even though I have a good secure job ATM, I'm now hanging onto every dollar I have in savings till this blows over

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I'll try to get some photos up later. Listed below is my current herd.

Taylor 414ce-NR
    Taylor 414ce-R
    Hand made Rosewood Beddel dreadnaught
    La Patrie Presentation classical
    Martin LX-1 spruce top Baby Martin
    Early 70's Ovation Balladeer
    Early 90's Ovation Glen Campbell 12 string
    Early 70's Ovation classical
    Warwick Corvette 5 string base
    Gretch Acoustic bass
    Squire Jazz bass
    Ibanez small bodied Jazz guitar (don't recall the model, thing George Benson)
    Squire 50's vibe Blonde Telecaster
    couple of beginner banjos
    Ovation ukulele
    Couple of mid range mandolins

That's the list that i remember here at work. I have a few guitars and basses at my music for vets lab at the church.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Thank you, I'm very happy with it. My boss is a huge guitar player/collector and I was shopping for a used acoustic. He has a lot of Martin guitars so I asked for his opinion on Martin vs Taylor and he told me to check out Collings (I'd never heard of them). I did and told him they were out of my budget and he told me to pick out which one I wanted and he bought it for me. I went for the D1 as it was the most affordable and is nicer than anything I have the right to own.

The D1 is a killer box. Do you think your boss would adopt me? I've had several Martins, D28, D12-20, D18, but they all went to pay bills back in the day. My next one will either be a D28 or a D35.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    View attachment 85746

Two of the guitars I've picked up over the last year. A Yamaha AC5r and FG5. Both built in Japan. The FG5 sounds almost the same as the FG180 I had back in the 1960's.

I'm partial to Yamaha, primarily because I can own a fine acoustic, electric and a Fender tube amp for the price of a Martin D18....which says something about the outrageous price of American guitars.

Top Bottom