• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I'm a civilian and I can't even bring a dog to work...

What are these guys gonna do if they ever end up in SERE training where people, ya know, "torture" them? Isn't that sort of standard issue for USAF officers?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Yeah, SERE training came to mind...and the lack of mental health screening of candidates, apparently. Suicidal thoughts don't just come out of nowhere when social distancing...something was there before.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If I'm too old, too fat, and don't want to be bothered with all of their rules, can I still sign up just to drop bombs on our enemies? That's the part I want to do.

I can do this without a service dog, while in uniform, and without needing to get drunk.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    When my cousin went to the USAFA they had a sort of "mini SERE" that I think everyone had to go through....'course he graduated in 1982.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    “Dogs are mission-essential and allowed any time,” the general said.

Well, thank god somebody recognizes this.

It does seem like some hard conversations need to happen regarding this generation's fragility problem. It's clearly a problem when a given class can't handle a couple weeks of basic social distancing measures in response to a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic without multiple students offing themselves. This isn't even a regular school, it's a military academy that students self-select into and have to work hard to qualify for. One would figure that population would be hardier than normal.

I don't mean to speak ill of the dead, but at some point we have to stop blaming the schools for doing reasonable and normal things, and start asking what has changed with the students when they can't even forgo bars and parties for a week or two without throwing themselves out their door windows in despair.

It's definitely not just the military. This is everywhere. The zoomers' answer to every hardship seems to be "kill yourself".

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Attentions wh*res trying for more attention one last time. Or....are they bullsh*tters in life and finally realized theyve lied to everyone and themselves and just check out?

Either way, good riddance

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Attentions wh*res trying for more attention one last time. Or....are they bullsh*tters in life and finally realized theyve lied to everyone and themselves and just check out?

Either way, good riddance

That's a pretty sad way to look at mental health problems, but I'll go as far as to agree that I don't think we need them in our military if they have problems to that degree.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    So these cadets referred to the condition at the Air Force Academy as “prison like“. What in the actual **** Have these p***er heads done to my Air Force.

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    So these cadets referred to the condition at the Air Force Academy as “prison like“. What in the actual **** Have these p***er heads done to my Air Force.

Sadly, I have the same concerns about the current state of the Army, too.

These people are way too fragile for military service. And to think they are going to be officers once they are coddled through the Academy.

Last edited:

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I was stationed in the majave desert late 70s. After I got transfered the baracks I had lived in for 2 years without A/C was Air conditioned and turned into a federal prison. Don't call me sir. I worked for a living.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    When my cousin went to the USAFA they had a sort of "mini SERE" that I think everyone had to go through....'course he graduated in 1982.

There's no much mini about it.

All I can say is, I can relate to the prison like atmosphere and maybe understand more than some how those cadets got to that point.

Hohn

USAFA CLASS OF 2000 (BALLS!)

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Navy Nuke program had suicides.
    We had a stress management class at the beginning.
    But basically, I you couldn't handle it, the Navy wanted you to fail before they sunk a quarter of a million dollars in you, and you were responsible for a reactor plant.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    It isn't as if we didn't have young people in the past who could accomplish the task set before them.

To me it wreaks of 'how far can we lower our standards' to get people even willing to attempt the same tasks set before them today...

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    What the hell? I enlisted in the Air Force back in 1985, things were a bit different way back then I guess.

I chose AF for three reasons; First my dad, an uncle and dad's best man for his wedding were all AF. Second, wanted to work or aircraft, eyesight was too bad to fly. Lastly... I will be the first to admit, I was not cut out for Army, Navy or Coast Guard for different reasons I thought at the time, and Marine basic frankly would have killed me :)

We had AC, cable TV, better looking women and I didn't get shot at. Allergic to bullets, they make me break out in little red splotches...

Got mad respect for the front line grunts and crayon eaters though. One of my best friends was a Ranger medic, a co-worker was a Recon Marine. Much much much respect for those guys.

Top Bottom