• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    i was in Payless getting groceries and waiting inline with a modest amount of groceries in a cart. Some drinks and vegies, so I didn't want to self check. I was minding the social distance marks on the floor and all was cool. A couple of customers that were hand carrying two items got inline behind me. I don't know why they didn't self checkout. Now it starts... They started to crowd me and the guy was 'monkeying around' with the lady and causing her to almost bump into me. No big deal at first, but after a couple of strong looks and moving to the front of my cart, no change in behavior. At this point they were almost touching the groceries in my baby wrack in the cart.

I strongly asked them to step back, that they were too close to my cart. The guy said where's your f#$ing mask then? To which I said it doesn't matter about my f#$ing mask stand the f#$k back at the blue mark! After backing off a little, a cashier in the self check line 'suggested' that they should pay there.

I'm relaying this because, I had to vent and ask if anyone else had any stories. BTW I was armed and thought about 'retrieving' my wallet.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    moving to the front of my cart

FWIW, I do this in normal times as soon as I can. Having anyone immediately behind you should send your situational awareness sensors pinging off the charts. If I should ever have to draw, someone standing behind me could grab my arm and hinder that process. As soon as the person in front of me moves their body up to pole position at the credit card machine, I'm in front of my cart. If I can't move up, I will turn my right hip (right handed) toward the cart and observe all I can while trying to look like I'm not... Occasionally I will move up beside my cart. Depends how much the would crowd the next guy.

You get the idea.

Anyhow, people are crazy and stupid and situations like we're in now just turn the volume up on both. Watch yourself out there!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i was in Payless getting groceries and waiting inline with a modest amount of groceries in a cart. Some drinks and vegies, so I didn't want to self check. I was minding the social distance marks on the floor and all was cool. A couple of customers that were hand carrying two items got inline behind me. I don't know why they didn't self checkout. Now it starts... They started to crowd me and the guy was 'monkeying around' with the lady and causing her to almost bump into me. No big deal at first, but after a couple of strong looks and moving to the front of my cart, no change in behavior. At this point they were almost touching the groceries in my baby wrack in the cart.

I strongly asked them to step back, that they were too close to my cart. The guy said where's your f#$ing mask then? To which I said it doesn't matter about my f#$ing mask stand the f#$k back at the blue mark! After backing off a little, a cashier in the self check line 'suggested' that they should pay there.

I'm relaying this because, I had to vent and ask if anyone else had any stories. BTW I was armed and thought about 'retrieving' my wallet.

Ouch.

Pretty much up here, we're being polite and respectful.

The self checkouts seem safer - those get wiped down between customers at Lowe's.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    Yes, I agree. There will probably be more of this type of stuff as people get more wound up by the media. These customers were also lingering in the front of the store, so I had the added treat of going to my car. Thinking that now that I had disrespected the guy - I'm in for it outside. I had my jacket unzipped and didn't want to go full 'IDPA' on there a$$!

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Yes, I agree. There will probably be more of this type of stuff as people get more wound up by the media. These customers were also lingering in the front of the store, so I had the added treat of going to my car. Thinking that now that I had disrespected the guy - I'm in for it outside. I had my jacket unzipped and didn't want to go full 'IDPA' on there a$$!

That's why I, personally, probably wouldn't have said anything and would just be on here complaining about the stupids instead. Another option would have been to ask them to back up, so you could get out of line, so they could go first then you set your own distance again. I know, I know... You weren't the one being an idiot so it's not your behavior to correct, but it would sure beat the snot out of the scenario underlined above.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Idk if there is more backstory, but in my opiniin, you were right to ask for your space. That being said, thinking of "reaching for your wallet" is ringing some bells in my head.

If im in a situation where i even think of my firearm in anger, i remove myself. Not even caring about what the law may be, just out of the exact reason i carry. As a last ditch resort for my and my familys safety. Never because i was upset.

Walk away, after having said your piece or use your fist. Just my :twocents: take it or leave it. :dunno:

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I should also say I'm not trying to beat up on you as I know you didn't do anything wrong. It's just situations like this that we can all observe later, when there is no pressure and no risk, that we can all learn from.

Spikedog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Lafayette
    No, I would never go for my weapon in anger. The checking my wallet was more of an after thought. I did get my wallet out very discretely

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Idk if there is more backstory, but in my opiniin, you were right to ask for your space. That being said, thinking of "reaching for your wallet" is ringing some bells in my head.

If im in a situation where i even think of my firearm in anger, i remove myself. Not even caring about what the law may be, just out of the exact reason i carry. As a last ditch resort for my and my familys safety. Never because i was upset.

Walk away, after having said your piece or use your fist. Just my :twocents: take it or leave it. :dunno:

No kidding.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Exactly.

Better you should abandon your cart and walk away, than turn to a firearm. It certainly doesn't sound like there was any sort of immediate danger here.

With great power, comes great responsibility. A firearm is not a "problem solver" when you feel aggrieved - it's a self-defense tool when there's grave physical danger. If your thought was to pull out your gun to show "you mean business", then maybe go for a long walk and think about all the possible consequences of such an action.

I guess we're on the same page here, I might be preaching to the choir, or maybe just lurkers reading this.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Huh... I didn’t know Lowes was doing the self checkouts yet. Ours doesn’t have them yet, anyway.

Ours does, but also staffed lines.

Home Depot usually just has self checkout, with a person ready if you need them.

I haven't been to Menards, but anyone know if anything's changed? I mean, you and the cashier are usually right next to each other.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If you go to Sam's Club, highly recommend the phone app. Yesterday I scanned and paid for all my items via the app. No checkout line. Didn't have to touch anything besides my items and the pre-sanitized cart. Pretty slick during such times.

2Lucky

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2018
    Notre Dame
    Maybe in retrospective you could "ask" them to go ahead of you since they only had a couple of items. Its like the old car add on tv. The best way to survive a accident is to avoid it.........

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If you go to Sam's Club, highly recommend the phone app. Yesterday I scanned and paid for all my items via the app. No checkout line. Didn't have to touch anything besides my items and the pre-sanitized cart. Pretty slick during such times.

FWIW, if you're already a Sam's member, consider upgrading to a Plus membership and have them ship the stuff to you for free. I've been doing that in the normal times for the past few years and through their rewards program they've actually paid me to take the membership...

Their online selection isn't awesome right now, but it's been OK-ish. It was more than strong when all of the conventional retailers were already selling out of TP and such.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    FWIW, if you're already a Sam's member, consider upgrading to a Plus membership and have them ship the stuff to you for free. I've been doing that in the normal times for the past few years and through their rewards program they've actually paid me to take the membership...

Their online selection isn't awesome right now, but it's been OK-ish. It was more than strong when all of the conventional retailers were already selling out of TP and such.

+1. FWIW, they DID have TP yesterday. :):

Top Bottom