• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Was planning on getting myself a nice grill to go with the new house. With this virus stuff going on, funds are slim.

Im a beginner, but whats says ingo?

What's the best charcoal grill on a budget?

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want something for burgers, dogs, chicken, steak...a Weber is the way to go. If you want to smoke or prepare larger meals then you probably need to go a different route.

jimbob488

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    MERRILLVILLE INDIANA
    I’d go with a Weber 22 inch about 74 bucks and tax at Walmart for a basic grill. They also have a off brand for 40 bucks. It all depends on how fancy you want. Some of the grills use propane to light the charcoal but that’s about as much as a cheap gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I’d go with a Weber 22 inch about 74 bucks and tax at Walmart for a basic grill. They also have a off brand for 40 bucks. It all depends on how fancy you want. Some of the grills use propane to light the charcoal but that’s about as much as a cheap gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given the circumstances, this is solid advice. Get something quick and dirty, and when the world recovers, get something you REALLY want.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I agree, buy yourself a Weber kettle. You can smoke bbq on a kettle, I've done it plenty of times. Once things get better buy yourself a komodo style cooker (Green Egg, Kamado Joe, Primos, etc.) and you'll be thrilled with how much more versatile and easy to control it is compared to the Weber (and they're pretty easy).

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    22" Weber kettle grill, good charcoal, light it & let the flame burn down until the charcoal starts turning mostly greyish and you are grillin. Play with using some of the more flavorful charcoal like hickory or apple to get a little more smokey flavor in the meat.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Awesome, this is along the lines of what i was thinking with the Weber. I just had no idea, just a thought. Im looking to just get some steaks and burgers going. I was looking at the green egg in better times.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Buy good, natural lump or chunk charcoal. Stay away from the "match light "and similar unless you like the added flavor of petroleum or other chemicals in the charcoal to make it easier to light.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    WE have 2 webbers. A small one and the larger one. They do very well for us.
    He also have a larger combo that's LP and a section for charcoal and a smoker attachment. Its a bit more work but man the food it puts out is tasty.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Charcoal chimney? Google here i come. Does it make a big difference?

It's a method to light the charcoal that doesn't involve lighter fluid. IIRC, you use crumpled up newspaper, then put the charcoal on top of it (in the chimney) then light the newspaper from the bottom. Once the coals are ready you dump them out into the grill and arrange them for cooking. I've never used one myself but have heard they work very well.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a method to light the charcoal that doesn't involve lighter fluid. IIRC, you use crumpled up newspaper, then put the charcoal on top of it (in the chimney) then light the newspaper from the bottom. Once the coals are ready you dump them out into the grill and arrange them for cooking. I've never used one myself but have heard they work very well.

I have seen these. And yes they do appear to work.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    He also have a larger combo that's LP and a section for charcoal and a smoker attachment. Its a bit more work but man the food it puts out is tasty.

This ^ is what we have.
    Works very nicely. In a hurry, use the gas side. More time to kill use the charcoal. The added smoker attachment work very well also. The charcoal chimney works, plus it has a 2 fold advantage, no expense of lighter fluid, or running out, and no lighter fluid flavor.

Top Bottom