• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Tanks are a love of mine and I enjoy showing others the joy of these glorious machines. My submission is the glorious KV-2, a monster of a machine with a 152mm cannon shooting a 40kg projectile.

KV-2.jpg
    Heavy_assault_tank_KV-2_2.jpg

And as you can see, People loved climbing on it

KV-2_tank_and_wehrmacht_soldiers.jpg

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I think it's a great idea for a thread! I will share pics of a couple of the early ones. A British Mark IV, and a French Schneider CA-1.

tZRyGRK.jpg

otM4OOV.jpg

o3RZ9Lp.jpg

psUhW2F.jpg

hwFX2eI.jpg

BHahXgO.jpg

aDDbGUz.jpg

4ofShy3.jpg

uIiqFT6.jpg

LSVxxwq.jpg

6lOnsau.jpg

Ka7K0UT.jpg

hFJWhiq.jpg

QKbwnAH.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Sorry no pictures, just a memory; WAY back in my younger days I attended Frankfurt American Junior High School in Frankfurt Germany. Right next door was one of the many American military installations that dotted the terrain back in those days. For PE we headed over to the bowling alley at the Kasserne for bowling class. On the way back we were walking by an M47 or M48 Patton Tank and standing next to it was a big pile of dirt that had just been dumped there for some landscaping project or some such.

Anyhow you had a group of 11 and 12 year old boys and a huge pile of dirt so we decided to repel the invaders and started pummeling this tank with dirt clods ala any resistance group standing up to the invading hordes.

Needless to say the teachers were NOT happy with us and we spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess we had made and then writing letters of apology to General Patton who the teacher nor us for that matter knew was long since dead.

My dad was stationed at this Kasserne so I paid strict attention to the scuttlebutt to determine if even a hint of that which I had take part in reached him lest General Patton himself would have had to step in to save me from the trouble I would have been in.

Stolen Pic:

M47.jpg

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    206   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    This is in a park in Linton Indiana. Don't know anything about it.

Uaedlpz.jpg

This is just east of Linton. Didn't see any Cubans.

k744GBL.png

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dad drove a Sherman tank in WW2 in the South Pacific. My brother then drove an M1 Abrams during the cold war, mostly in West Germany on the border.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    I think it's a great idea for a thread! I will share pics of a couple of the early ones. A British Mark IV, and a French Schneider CA-1.

These are some very nice pics, what museum are they from? WW1 armor is very rare to find surviving pieces. I know that the Indiana Military Museum in Vincennes, IN has a display of the German A7V.

BTW, The Indiana Military Museum is a great place to visit is you enjoy that kinda thing, they have tanks and vehicles galore.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Needless to say the teachers were NOT happy with us and we spent the rest of the day cleaning up the mess we had made and then writing letters of apology to General Patton who the teacher nor us for that matter knew was long since dead.

That sounds really funny, just a bunch of young kids apologizing to a long deceased General for forgiveness of dirtying up his namesake tank.

This is in a park in Linton Indiana. Don't know anything about it.

Uaedlpz.jpg

It looks to be an M48 Patton, the 3rd generation of the Patton line. You can tell by the turret shape and the commander turret/copula.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It looks to be an M48 Patton, the 3rd generation of the Patton line. You can tell by the turret shape and the commander turret/copula.

It's an M60. The give away is the flat glacis plate on the hull. The M48 had a rounded glacis. 105mm gun and a tight fire control system in my experience. The turret is basically an M48A5 on the new M60 chassis. The redesigned armor was created to help defeat advancing armor piercing rounds.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I have a couple of pics from my travels in my collection. One tank and one tracked AA vehicle. No idea what kind they are.

Can anybody guess where these are?

(Mr. Peanut standing in for the wife) :)

Tank2.jpg

Tank.jpg

AAgun.jpg

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    It's an M60. The give away is the flat glacis plate on the hull. The M48 had a rounded glacis. 105mm gun and a tight fire control system in my experience. The turret is basically an M48A5 on the new M60 chassis. The redesigned armor was created to help defeat advancing armor piercing rounds.

You're right, I got mixed up by the turret shape and forgot the M48 glacis was more rounded.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    These are some very nice pics, what museum are they from? WW1 armor is very rare to find surviving pieces. I know that the Indiana Military Museum in Vincennes, IN has a display of the German A7V.

BTW, The Indiana Military Museum is a great place to visit is you enjoy that kinda thing, they have tanks and vehicles galore.

The British Mark IV photos were taken at the Royal Army Museum in Brussels, Belgium. Belgium has had the historical misfortune to be the major crossroads in between GB, France, and Germany, consequently, their military museum is truly outstanding!

The French Schneider is at a French Monument near Berry-au-Bac. It marks the location of the first French tank attack of the First World War, during the Nivelle Offensive in 1917. The tank itself is an exact reproduction created to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the war. The only remaining original Schneider is at the French armor museum.

I have been to the Indiana Military Museum a few years ago. I really enjoyed it.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    From the Beijing Military Museum, from the Korean War:

IMG_0500.jpg

IMG_0502.jpg IMG_0506.jpg IMG_0508.jpg
    IMG_0504.jpg IMG_0505.jpg IMG_0507.jpg
    IMG_0510.jpg IMG_0515.jpg IMG_0514.jpg

I think in order a T-34/85, a Stuart M-5, M-36 Jackson, M-24 Walker, Greyhound, Bren carrier, M-26 Pershing and T-55. The Stuart has PLA markings, so that's a bit odd. Guessing the Bren carrier was employed by Commonwealth troops, and the T-55 (?) looks too modern to have been in Korea pre-1953. The T-55 was open. I'm 5'7", but it was a tight fit.

They also have a selection of Western aircraft, including a U-2 with Republic of China markings.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I have a couple of pics from my travels in my collection. One tank and one tracked AA vehicle. No idea what kind they are.

Can anybody guess where these are?

(Mr. Peanut standing in for the wife) :)

Tank2.jpg

Tank.jpg

AAgun.jpg

Just because I know Ft Sill has a pretty nice display I'll guess there although they would have had to move it since I was there as it was originally in a more tree'ed part of the base. It does look like Mt Scott in the left background of the AA unit though.

dvd1955

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Nickbau5, sorry no pics. But if you love tanks, you have to read “Spearhead” by Adam Makos. It follows a tank crew through the European theatre during WWII. The author interviewed some of the crew, and even 1 person from a German tank crew. The book is excellent, IMHO.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    82   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Spent my first 4 years in Armored Cav. M60A3, followed by the M1. Oddly enough, I can't seem to find any photos of the M1. Oh it was faster, better, bla, bla... but it didn't have that same mechanical feel, and it sure as hell didn't have that turbocharged air-cooled V-12 Continental diesel sound...

92368347_2545443262370818_7364575848311029760_o.jpg

92438690_2545442912370853_3323243838771822592_o.jpg

Top Bottom