• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    Okay folks... this is serious. It just happened to my wife and I. This is not one of those things you see posted that came from God knows where. It happened to us.

My wife got a phone call today from the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office. (Yes, THEIR caller ID!) She let it go to voice mail. She listened to the voice mail which told her to contact Sgt. James Neil on his direct line 317-300-5865. She called me asking what I had done now, lol! So I had her do a 3 way call so I could listen and we called him back. He did not answer. While we were still on the phone he called her back and she put the call in 3 way mode again. He advised the call was being recorded for her safety and asked if she was familiar with the address xyz (Our address) and she responded yes. He advised her she missed a court date for a federal grand jury, and he was wanting to know why she did not show up for court. Of course my wife explained she had no notification of court. He advised her she had been issued a summons, and because it was a federal summons, two officers would have delivered it to her personally on (some date in February) and she had to sign for it. She denied ever doing so. The kind Sgt. then advised there were 2 misdemeanor warrants issued for her arrest, but based on her denial of service, they would not serve them if she would do a signature verification at the Sheriff's office. She agreed to do so. I had been silent until now and jumped in. I told the BS Sgt. I wanted the name and phone number of his immediate supervisor. He responded without missing a beat "He's standing here right next to me... would you like to speak to him?" I said: "No, I want to call the Sheriff's office and be transferred to him." There was a brief pause and then the nice Sgt. said "Suck my $#%@ old man!" and hung up!

Ladies and gents I guarantee you he and/or his flunkies were waiting nearby to watch her leave on her wild goose chase to the Sheriff's Office, so that they could break into our home. My wife was smart in feeling something wasn't right.

So to prevent this guy from using this phone again (His voice mail is very professional!) please call and text this number as often as possible. At the very least he will have to buy a new burner. Please have fun with it! Again, the number is 317-300-5865. And no, this is not a late April fools joke and he is not a real cop. All the appropriate authorities have been notified.

It is also possible he was going to try to get money out of her by paying fines or something over the phone. Anyway.. BEWARE!

Last edited:

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Thanks for sharing that, scammers are always trying new scams.

since they obviously know where you live, what’s the best way to get the real Police involved and get the bad guys busted? I could become a fan of text 911 in this case.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Thanks for sharing that, scammers are always trying new scams.

since they obviously know where you live, what’s the best way to get the real Police involved and get the bad guys busted? I could become a fan of text 911 in this case.

Probably a Google number on a burner phone. Virtually untraceable. And they are smart enough to spoof the sheriff's department caller ID. This likely ain't going anywhere until they actually get caught doing a burglary.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    OK think with me on this one.

1st....They knew your address...……:scratch:
    2nd...They knew the phone number.....:scratch:

There is a very strong possibility this is this is someone you know or it is related to someone you know. Give that some thought.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville

There is a very strong possibility this is this is someone you know or it is related to someone you know. Give that some thought.
    I’m thinking that can all be found on google pretty easily. If you do the Facebook thing, it could be as easy as randomly picking a name you find and googling it.

My favorite part was the nice Sgt yelling suck my **** old man! And right in front of his supervisor! :rolleyes:

It’s sad at a time like this people are still trying to scam people. I guess my question is, they wanted a signature, where we they going to have you sign it? Should have followed through with it and brought a real sheriff to meet them with you.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’m thinking that can all be found on google pretty easily. If you do the Facebook thing, it could be as easy as randomly picking a name you find and googling it.

My favorite part was the nice Sgt yelling suck my **** old man! And right in front of his supervisor! :rolleyes:

It’s sad at a time like this people are still trying to scam people. I guess my question is, they wanted a signature, where we they going to have you sign it? Should have followed through with it and brought a real sheriff to meet them with you.

But how would they know he was a weapons' rich target. There has to be some info changing hands. This aint mission impossible.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I have actually received a very similar scam call before. In the call I got, they said I had federal warrants but they could be recalled if I sent iTunes cards.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I have actually received a very similar scam call before. In the call I got, they said I had federal warrants but they could be recalled if I sent iTunes cards.

That's actually true. The federal government accepts iTunes gift cards as payment. I submitted a couple Form-1's and was able to pay ATF with $400 in iTunes gift cards. It takes a little longer, though. Been waiting over 3 years...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When it comes through you can buy a nice 1911.

I'm hoping to pay part of the cost of a new water softener. I'd rather buy a new gun. Well, an old gun anyhow. I've been on vacation for the last week and I think it's cost me more than I spent on my trip to Australia back in 2000. None of it has been fun stuff. New electrical service, new water softener, new tv (fried by IPL's messed up lines), and new front tires for my lawn tractor.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

Open-source intelligence is very easy to find. Until very recently, a lot of my professional time was spent investigating fraud. People fall for things much less sophisticated than this one every day in our communities. Once someone is a victim, it’s very likely they will be targeted by others too. Encourage friends and family, especially older ones, to call a trusted friend if anyone solicits them and they’re not sure about it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Probably a Google number on a burner phone. Virtually untraceable. And they are smart enough to spoof the sheriff's department caller ID. This likely ain't going anywhere until they actually get caught doing a burglary.

Or shot doing a burglary

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Or ,case the area to find a likely target. Get the address off the building/mailbox. Search the county auditor's website to see who the owner is and then do a google search to see if the phone number comes up. It doesn't have to be a listed phone number, it can come up in abstracts of court or other official docs, or if someone had an auto accident it can sometimes turn up in accident reports available online

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Or ,case the area to find a likely target. Get the address off the building/mailbox. Search the county auditor's website to see who the owner is and then do a google search to see if the phone number comes up. It doesn't have to be a listed phone number, it can come up in abstracts of court or other official docs, or if someone had an auto accident it can sometimes turn up in accident reports available online
    My google-fu must suck. I often google "unknown" (to me) numbers that come up on my caller id and all I get is very general information - like "this is a cell phone from the xxx area code", or "this is a land line from xxx area code"*. I'm guessing that most of these are spoofs, and not real numbers. I miss the old days of being able to look up a number and find out exactly who it was.

*ETA - or I get a listing of websites that want you to pay to find out who it actually belongs to (and those are probably scams too). Basically, if you're not in my contact list on my cell phone, I'm not answering. If I get a call on my land line, I don't answer or return a call unless they leave a legitimate message and not in some robot voice.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It is amazing the amount of information that you can find using open sources and an internet connection. And lots of people give away even more information on Failbook. Pictures in front of their houses with the address clearly visible. Names of their kids. Pics of their cars. Talking about their employment. Easy pickings for someone who knows what they are doing.

And it's not just the internet. I was listening to 2 meter amateur radio traffic a couple of days ago and this numbskull was talking about all of his preps...including what he has and where it is in his house. And what's the one thing an amateur radio operator broadcasts over and over? His call sign. Which is his name and address to anyone with an internet connection. Real smart. Exactly why I listen, but rarely talk on it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Most of the useful information has been overwhelmed by opeople who want to sell you information about the number, but if you skim the many search results returned, you will often see names mentioned in the short sentence/paragraph returned with each result that if you click the lick would be hidden behind the shill. I think the web crawlers ferret out more information than the site intends to make public for free. you might have to skium a couple of pages of results, and often there is more than one name because cell numbers turn over so often

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    My google-fu must suck. I often google "unknown" (to me) numbers that come up on my caller id and all I get is very general information - like "this is a cell phone from the xxx area code", or "this is a land line from xxx area code"*. I'm guessing that most of these are spoofs, and not real numbers. I miss the old days of being able to look up a number and find out exactly who it was.

*ETA - or I get a listing of websites that want you to pay to find out who it actually belongs to (and those are probably scams too). Basically, if you're not in my contact list on my cell phone, I'm not answering. If I get a call on my land line, I don't answer or return a call unless they leave a legitimate message and not in some robot voice.

Try this: https://www.fastpeoplesearch.com/

Top Bottom