• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Like the title says, I’m going to be in the market for a clean side by side and holy crap.... everybody and their brother makes them. I’m looking for recommendations and advise on what to look for as well as ones to avoid. I have 4.5 acres to use it on as well as for hunting. I have used JD Gators, but man... the price tag is salty.

INGO... point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Mounty09

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Really depends on your budget. A few years ago my dad picked up a 2009 Kawasaki Teryx for $5200. Has enough power to have some fun but still has a bed and can plow snow.

Clark & Addison

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2019
    Gibson County
    What do you plan to use it for? Are you looking for new or used?

I bought a Polaris Ranger last year after looking at Rangers, Can-Ams, Yamahas, and Kawasakis. Polaris isn't known for reliability but they are the market leader in sales by a long shot. My parents have a Yamaha Viking VI and it has done everything they want it to do. I originally thought I was going to buy a Kawasaki Mule Pro-FXT because it was a little cheaper than the Ranger and seemed to be a lot sturdier. I decided that since my main use would be for riding around county roads for play as opposed to using it as a work machine I'd rather have the extra speed of the Ranger vs the extra strength of the Mule.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    My vote is Polaris Ranger. Very well aftermarket supported and parts are easy to find. Mine runs circles around Gators and Mules work wise and im very hard on equipment. Im the guy at work if a tool can be broke im the one that does it first.....

google photo upload

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    We bought a well maintained, used Ranger for similar purposes as you described. We’ve had it for a couple years now, and it’s served us well. Typical stuff has needed occasional attention. No big deal, as parts are plenty. Knowing what I know about side by sides after owning one for a while now, I’d do another ranger in a minute.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I plan on using it for work around the property more than play. Hauling tools and saws as well as material. Right now we are leasing out the back 2.5 acres to a neighbor farmer, but plan on one day fencing it in and adding a couple cows to the mix. At that point it would be used for hauling feed etc.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Ive been looking for the right one used for a couple of years at a price that doesn't make me choke. They seem to hold their value better than anything that doesn't go Bang. My observation is that as a work vehicle I prefer the lower bed height on gators compared to rangers.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't have any advice to add, but I just know that I've wanted one of these for a long time. But first I need a place with enough land to justify it. I'm jealous! Can't really say I need one on my slightly less than one acre lot. :):

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've had 3 teryx's in my life. My next unit will be a teryx. They are not the fastest thing on the market by any stretch, but they are fast enough for what I do, priced right, and Kawasaki really stands by their product.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    After 10 years in the power sports industry I can tell you that about any of them made by one of the big names is going to be pretty good. At one time John Deere Gator was a rebranded Kawasaki Mule. Now they are proprietary machines and are pretty decent. Polaris 10 years ago I would have told you were bottom of the barrel crap machines. Now they are the industry leaders of SxS. Yamaha is gtg, Kawasaki is gtg, Honda idk if they still make one.

My best advice is DON'T BUY USED!!! that goes for any ATV or SxS. Unless you know the previous owner personally and trust them implicitly.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Really depends on your budget. A few years ago my dad picked up a 2009 Kawasaki Teryx for $5200. Has enough power to have some fun but still has a bed and can plow snow.

I have rebuilt 3 Teryx transmissions all have been from pushing snow. All I'll say about it. The Teryx is a great machine for what it's made for

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I bought a ClubCar XRT 1200 several years ago. It has been a lifesaver. It’s basically a super duty golf cart, designed for work. It’s not as fast, or as off road capable as a Ranger or a Mule, but it has a much bigger bed. The bed is 4’x4’, and hydraulically operated. It will dump a 1,000 pounds.

EWXwHId.jpg

rExRgMH.jpg

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I think the wife would even be on board with that... where did you find it?
    I saw that one on Tractor House a couple of years ago. They’re out there, but not very common with the front hydraulic set up. The front bucket comes off, and could be replaced with a snow blade or pallet forks.

ClubCar is owned by Ingersol Rand, who also owned Bobcat, from 95 until 2007. You can get the same buggy with a white paint job and it will say Bobcat. Bobcat also makes bigger versions with bigger tools, called ToolCats.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    My vote is Polaris Ranger. Mine runs circles around Gators.....

Ha ha ha ha, pulease. Choose your category & try your best.

016.jpg

002.jpg

023.jpg

Never gotten it stuck in the mud (and my neighbor thought his "tank trap" would do just that), 1400 lb payload and it tops out at 45mph.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Ha ha ha ha, pulease. Choose your category & try your best.

016.jpg

002.jpg

023.jpg

Never gotten it stuck in the mud (and my neighbor thought his "tank trap" would do just that), 1400 lb payload and it tops out at 45mph.

Will do. Ive owned several UTVs over the years and this one has served me better than the others.... Pulease just because it has that green paint....used there compact tractors also they leave much to be desired for there price point...

Top Bottom