• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I need to mount a porcelin base style fixture on a drop ceiling. basically I need most of the bulb exposed below ceiling height. how do I stay within electrical code and mount a box? this is a suspended ceiling without joists above. I can post pics later if it would help

thanks!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Don’t they make an “old work” box, similar to the type you’d use for mounting a receptacle or light switch in an existing dry wall wall?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    is mounting that on a removable ceiling tile considered strong enough?

Probably. If it’s just as you describe and a bulb, probably. If it’s a fixture of some weight, you’ll probably have to add structure above the tile and then suspend it down through.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    That plastic box will be fine. We call them "cut in boxes" . They also make metal ones you can use that have a seprate device to mount the box called "Madison hangers".
    NEC wise you are good unless you plan on putting a half dozen romex cables in there for to much box fill.... but that is a whole new animal.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This isn't a bare bulb type fixture going in a closet by chance is it? Otherwise you should be fine.

no, it'll be on the ceiling.

will those old work boxes allow the metal flexible conduit to terminate in there?

these probably would

Last edited:

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    no, it'll be on the ceiling.

will those old work boxes allow the metal flexible conduit to terminate in there?

these probably would

These will work for NM (non metallic) or MC (metal clad) cable, just use the proper connector for the mc cable or flex and you will be good to go.

Plastic old work boxes do not have KO's most of the time for connectors some do but not normally.

I would just use the above bracket for your tile grid ceiling.

It has the connectors built into the box already for your cable you are talking about as long as it is just some 12/2 mc cable.
    :yesway:

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If the fixture has any weight to it and this is a Lay In type grid ceiling this is what you need.

This what you're looking for. The ones I've seen just come with a clip that straddles the bar and screws onto the back of the box you're using which is typically an octagon box as pictured. When you cut the tile and insert this piece the j box should drop down flush with the ceiling tile your using then attach your keyless to the j box.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This what you're looking for. The ones I've seen just come with a clip that straddles the bar and screws onto the back of the box you're using which is typically an octagon box as pictured. When you cut the tile and insert this piece the j box should drop down flush with the ceiling tile your using then attach your keyless to the j box.

thanks. I was wondering about how long it was going to hang but if it's flush with bottom of ceiling tile that would be perfect.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    Looks like you already got an acceptable mount, but for anyone else who sees this thread, the "old construction" boxes are NOT an acceptable way to mount fixtures in a dropped ceiling. They would be an NEC violation and most likely a building code violation as well.

Top Bottom