• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Wooded area, shows up and hovers, around 1 am.

Inside Indy limits. Told em call the PD non emergency number.
    By Park Tudor, so either perv or casing for robbery.

Last edited:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Maybe training some kind of laser on it to make them believe they are being targeted might discourage future incursions?
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    A training I went to a few months back had this as a topic, drones flying illegally over special events. Under Indiana law, a drone is considered and aircraft per IC 8-21-1-1 "Aircraft" means any contrivance now known, or hereafter invented, used or designed for navigation of or flight in the air. Interfering with the pilot or the aircraft is a crime. We are not allowed to do so. We are required to let it fly for the 15 min it takes to run the batteries down and seize it once it lands.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    S S S
    What drone?

Got a net?
    Maybe some other kind of fishing line/rope/twine to foul the props?
    Bet you could drag one down with a well aimed cast...

Last edited:

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    You probably had to do that training (wait for it to land) because states don't have jurisdiction over airspace. That is the FAA, and they don't take lightly of anyone taking out aircraft. The FAA does not allow flights over most special events, or even people, unless they are in a covered area (you would need to obtain a waiver from the FAA, or other special permit). To fly a drone at night requires anti-collision lights (they would look like what an airplane lights look like, not the LEDs that come on most drones) and a special FAA waiver, and those waivers are hard to get. So I would bet they are flying illegally.

Ron

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Wooded area? Hovers?

Suppressed 22lr or good pellet gun should take care of the problem...

I know you are probably kidding, but that is really bad advice.. particularly on a gun forum.

"[FONT=&quot]Shooting down a drone is a federal crime because drones are “aircraft” under federal law. 18 U.S.C. § 32."

[/FONT]
    Ron

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    What if you were trying to catch butterflies with, say, a big fishing net, and you happened to catch it? That's not shooting it down.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Put a realistic skeleton, or mannequin next to a freshly dug grave, on the edge of the woods for the drone pilot to “see”. If he reports it to the police, you now know who the pilot is. If he doesn’t report it, maybe he will think twice about flying in the area.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    Got one flying around fam members place inside city limits.
    Wonder what cool toy could take it down LOL

Most drones aren't peeping toms. I flew for a while. I think my registration is still current. I stopped because of all the people with misconceptions. If they are flying low, chances are it is just a hobbiest. If I wanted to check out ground activity, I would put it at 400 ft+ with the lights off and use the 4k camera. If it is hovering, it is looking or the operator is a rookie and trying to figure it out. If it is flying a back and forth pattern a few yards to the side each pass, it is programmed with a flight pattern to automatically scan a large area recording. If you shoot down a nice drone, you may well be on 4k video and the recording could already be transfered to the cloud. Next warning: Any time I flew I had at least one ground camera filming myself for my protection when encountering the public. Usually a bodycam and a nicer camera hidden on a tripod. It is best to let local law enforcement handle the operator, if you are prone to anger. Some messed up people just want to anger others. It makes great Youtube videos. Don't get suckered in. My best guess is that it is just some bored guy with a new toy.

If you still "have to" confront the operator:

Have a clear, reasonable, and mutually acceptable goal for the out come.
    Make sure to video in a non threatening way.
    Remember your video can only show what happened, not what you think happened.
    Approach the person with a goal of being friends.

It is still best to leave it to the police.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Irresponsible people breaking the law does not allow others to become irresponsible people and break the law in different ways.

While they are probably operating the drone in an illegal manner attacking it in any of the ways suggested is a violation of federal law as noted earlier.

That being said I do like the 'laser' option...

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    It was at edge of driveway hovering last night, over the street ( maybe following street as trees all around ). It was hovering outside a 2nd story windiw previously. 1 am. Kid says diff light, so proly two diff drones.

I suspect a rich Star Wars dweeb trying to catch a glimpse of bewbies someplace. Proly a neighborhood kid

Top Bottom