• ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Traffic Is Down But Speeding Is Up

In Georgia, someone on a motorcycle passed a speed trap at 172 mpg. A sergeant with the Sandy Springs PD told a local news outlet, “Because it was a motorcycle and traveling at those speeds, our officer couldn’t even attempt to go after it. He didn’t have a chance.”

Not me. I am a good, law-abiding boy who only travels exactly the speed limit, even if I happen to be in the far left lane.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Had a good time the other day driving around 465, spent significant time going 85 (plenty in my lifted truck) and really enjoyed it. People seemed to be more conscientious, those pesky left lane people doing the speed limit moved over ahead of time for the most part and when they didn’t it was manageable. People actually using their rear views and acting ahead of time is what really stood out to me.
    There’s a member here who told me he was doing 70 on his bike through downtown and was having a good time.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    Traffic reaches a certain point (max free-flow density) where speed suffers due to density of vehicles. In the morning commute downtown Indy on 70 or 65, 69, etc you can almost feel it. (Pre-corona) leaving your house a couple minutes late could determine what side of that point you are on. Urban interstates, which I am assuming is getting the most press coverage, have historically had worse speed limit adherence compared to rural interstates. Almost counterintuitive, you think people would go faster in rural areas but they actually follow the speed limit closer. Sorry, this is just where I happen to be a nerd, ahah it’s cool stuff!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Haven't paid much attention to the speed factor, but I have noticed a different aspect in the Lafayette area.
    There are less cars on the road, for sure, but the ones that are out there seem to be driven by people that shouldn't have a license.
    Tail-gating seems to be WORSE with less cars. Go figure.
    Bad attitudes, running red lights, even passing on the shoulder.

Yes, it sure seems there are more idiots on the road today, even if there is less volume.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I think that there is a feeling (whether or not it is justified) that with social distancing, traffic stops are not being made and people have a free pass to speed.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Haven't paid much attention to the speed factor, but I have noticed a different aspect in the Lafayette area.
    There are less cars on the road, for sure, but the ones that are out there seem to be driven by people that shouldn't have a license.
    Tail-gating seems to be WORSE with less cars. Go figure.
    Bad attitudes, running red lights, even passing on the shoulder.

Yes, it sure seems there are more idiots on the road today, even if there is less volume.
    Have to wonder if the one's with a drivers license should go back to K-Mart and get their money back?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Had a good time the other day driving around 465, spent significant time going 85 (plenty in my lifted truck) and really enjoyed it. People seemed to be more conscientious, those pesky left lane people doing the speed limit moved over ahead of time for the most part and when they didn’t it was manageable. People actually using their rear views and acting ahead of time is what really stood out to me.
    There’s a member here who told me he was doing 70 on his bike through downtown and was having a good time.

I doubt if it's really a case of being more conscientious and more a case of somewhere for them to move to. I don't hang out in the left lane as I'm old school and try to obey most of the laws of our land especially driving. I come to a full stop at stop signs, signal lane changes, don't text while driving, etc. Since moving to Indiana though I have become a speed limit scofflaw and at times run 15 to 20 over the posted limit on divided highways. This is primarily to avoid being killed by the 90% of other traffic moving that speed.

When I do hit the left lane to go around someone I try to gauge the speed of people in the left lane and avoid the low flyers so as not to impede them. There are times however that passing slower traffic takes time and 1/2 or 3/4 of the way passed them some low flyer climbs up my tailgate in an attempt to intimidate me out of their way. I'm not going to run my speed up to 90 just so he can continue on and if you don't back off I'll lift off the throttle enough to where I am still passing but taking it a lot slower. IOW if there's room I'll get out of the way of the guy running a LOT faster than the rest of the traffic if there's room to do it and I don't have to double the posted speed to do it.

That said, my morning and afternoon commute usually takes 45 minutes, I got to work the other morning in 22 minutes due to light traffic and only hitting one red light in the ~ 15 traffic signals I usually travel through.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    We don’t have interstates in our immediate area, just IN-37 (4-lane). I really haven’t noticed folks speeding anymore than usual. I have read posts like this down around Louisville too though.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I doubt if it's really a case of being more conscientious and more a case of somewhere for them to move to. I don't hang out in the left lane as I'm old school and try to obey most of the laws of our land especially driving. I come to a full stop at stop signs, signal lane changes, don't text while driving, etc. Since moving to Indiana though I have become a speed limit scofflaw and at times run 15 to 20 over the posted limit on divided highways. This is primarily to avoid being killed by the 90% of other traffic moving that speed.

When I do hit the left lane to go around someone I try to gauge the speed of people in the left lane and avoid the low flyers so as not to impede them. There are times however that passing slower traffic takes time and 1/2 or 3/4 of the way passed them some low flyer climbs up my tailgate in an attempt to intimidate me out of their way. I'm not going to run my speed up to 90 just so he can continue on and if you don't back off I'll lift off the throttle enough to where I am still passing but taking it a lot slower. IOW if there's room I'll get out of the way of the guy running a LOT faster than the rest of the traffic if there's room to do it and I don't have to double the posted speed to do it.

That said, my morning and afternoon commute usually takes 45 minutes, I got to work the other morning in 22 minutes due to light traffic and only hitting one red light in the ~ 15 traffic signals I usually travel through.

This is me all the way. I roll out when I can but after suffering through to many tickets and the insurance penalty's there in I try and roll with the flow. If I am out and away I will roll with traffic in the left lane keeping pace and not a tailgater. Being in the flow and 10+ over I will do the same when "Sir Douche Nozzle" runs up under my rear bumper attempting to push me through the line of traffic in front of me. My right foot tends to relax a bit and the gap from me to the next car gets wider and wider all the time keeping Mr/Mrs "I need you out of my way" in check. When the opening comes I will signal and merge right. allowing Mr/Mrs "Get out of me way I am more important" to roll past.

It is apparent that many out on the roads in the city are in a huge rush to get absolutely nowhere.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy

It is apparent that many out on the roads in the city are in a huge rush to get absolutely nowhere.

That's for sure but there's nothing new about it. Maybe I just notice it more now that I have fewer places to go and all day to get there but the streets on the southside of Indy are loaded with these alleged drivers. And don't get in the way of the idiots cutting through the gas station to avoid the traffic signal.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

I'm having a similar experience going from Avon to just east of White River (14 miles.) It used to be the best time from driveway to parking garage was 27 minutes (leaving about 0615) and that was avoiding all umpteen stoplights in Avon, getting on 36 at Bridgeport (just east of Raceway Road.) Now (leaving at 0745) taking Avon Ave (formerly 267) to 36 then to work? 22 minutes. One night coming home (I get off work at 2000 now) I hit the red light at Gasoline Alley and Rockville Road. Didn't hit another red until Dan Jones at Lowes/Diamond Collision.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

Yea don’t get me wrong I’m not one of “those people”.
    im not going to run up on you if you’re doing your thing and getting around, even if you’re doing it on your own time. I will if you think your mr deputy sheriff traffic cop and you’re hanging out beside a governed truck doing 60. But I really try to be conscientious of others whether they’re faster or slower. Part of being kind, live and let live.
    My commute is 2 1/2 miles down a dirt road, there are two stop signs but they’re marked with the white ‘o’ on the edge making them optional. Extremely rare to need to stop. They’re roundabouts that aren’t round yet.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    Traffic reaches a certain point (max free-flow density) where speed suffers due to density of vehicles. In the morning commute downtown Indy on 70 or 65, 69, etc you can almost feel it. (Pre-corona) leaving your house a couple minutes late could determine what side of that point you are on. Urban interstates, which I am assuming is getting the most press coverage, have historically had worse speed limit adherence compared to rural interstates. Almost counterintuitive, you think people would go faster in rural areas but they actually follow the speed limit closer. Sorry, this is just where I happen to be a nerd, ahah it’s cool stuff!
    I could nerd out with you on this, I find traffic management fascinating. Firstly, the difference that a few seconds can make on a final outcome can make or break your day, and secondly, I have a fascination with the 10000’ view that city managers have (or don’t?) to help people move efficiently.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I really don't notice drivers speeding much, I actually see the opposite. Lotta folks running under the limit without regard for others actually trying to get somewhere.

Old people, playing with their phones, left lane lazy, don't understand what turn signals are, 3-4-5-10 cars in line behind them? Seems as if more and more of today's drivers think that the world revolves around them. They seem to have no regard for other drivers on the road.

Since the pandemic, I notice less cars on the road but more of them that make you wonder what they could be thinking? Seeing more cars with broken lights and banged up corners that have drivers seemingly scared to death to be on the road.

The visits to Rural King and Menards yesterday seemed as if a lot of shoppers seemed impaired. No signs or alcohol, but I wonder about prescription drug usage?

Took forever to make the left turn across traffic into Menards as the banged up car in front of me was creeping to begin with, then missed numerous opportunities to cut across. When they finally made it into Menards lot the car then slowed to barely creeping again, as if they were accessing the parking lot, while three of us behind them waited again.

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Yea don’t get me wrong I’m not one of “those people”.
    im not going to run up on you if you’re doing your thing and getting around, even if you’re doing it on your own time. I will if you think your mr deputy sheriff traffic cop and you’re hanging out beside a governed truck doing 60. But I really try to be conscientious of others whether they’re faster or slower. Part of being kind, live and let live.
    My commute is 2 1/2 miles down a dirt road, there are two stop signs but they’re marked with the white ‘o’ on the edge making them optional. Extremely rare to need to stop. They’re roundabouts that aren’t round yet.

No sorry, I wasn't calling you out. This is just a peev of mine, people that don't understand simple concepts. Nowadays it seems everything peevs me, don't know if it's age related or just dumber people out there than I'm used to.:fogey:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I could nerd out with you on this, I find traffic management fascinating. Firstly, the difference that a few seconds can make on a final outcome can make or break your day, and secondly, I have a fascination with the 10000’ view that city managers have (or don’t?) to help people move efficiently.

We were making a mid-week trip to visit my sister in SW OK a few years ago and decided to stop in Tulsa for the night. The next morning I looked out of the hotel window which overlooks I-44 and it was eerily quiet with very few cars present. We hit the on ramp to a still deserted highway but when I glanced in my rearview mirror it looked like the floodgates had given way! About 1/2 mile behind us there was a solid pack of cars that covered every lane as far as the eye could see. Talk about timing!!! If we'd been 30 seconds later we'd have been in the midst of the morning rush, I kicked it up a few mph to stay out of that mess and hauled ass for OKC!

Top Bottom